Hi all,

I have a Tour with a Verizon Wireless plan and I'm going to be in Singapore (GSM) for the next two months or so. I already have a number there with a non-smartphone plan... minutes, texts but no data on the plan.

I was wondering if there's any way I can bring my Tour back to Singapore and use it there with my Singapore number and plan. I assume it's not as simple as just putting my Singapore SIM card into the SIM card slot of my Tour.

If I unlock it, and somehow temporarily upgrade my Singapore plan to include data, will I be able to use email, internet, IM, BBM and all the other data services on my BB? And have it call and text people from my Singaporean number?

Thanks!
    06-15-10 01:29 PM
    If you unlock your Tour, you should he able to use the Singapore SIM. As for data, I would think that the carrier would have to have a data plan to offer, and then, also be able for the Tour to connect with RIM servers. That, I imagine would require that carrier to offer BIS. If they do, you should he good. If the don't, perhaps consider the VZW Global Data plan and use your Singapore SIM in a basic local device for calls etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 09:31 AM
    Thanks Gawain! I found this post on VZW Global Data in a different thread and just wanted to confirm it is true:

If you are going to get the Tour, and stick with VZ, its MUCH cheaper then ATT data wise.

About a week before you leave, call VZ and tell them you are going overseas. Tell them you would like the phone unlocked so you can use another sim for voice, and you would also like the INTL BB plan added on so you can use data with the included vodaphone sim card.

With VZ's INTL BB data plan, its an extra 20 dollars a month, but they only charge you the days you use it. So, for example. If your overseas for only say 7 days, or 10 days, the day you return call them up, and take off the INTL BB data plan, and go back to your regular one. On your next bill, you will only be charged for those 7 or 10 days or whatever amount of days you had int on the accout, so say 8 dollars or so for example.

The VZ INTL BB plan gives you UNLIMITED data usage (email/bb messenger/web/IM/ect..) while you have the vodaphone sim in the phone as long as you have coverage. Also, you could be in a 3G area, so its just as fast as EVDO here in the states. If theres you 3G coverage, more then likely you will have EDGE which is fine for typical data usage.

Again, no roaming fees. Unlimited data. Just make sure to call back when your back, and take it off your account so your not charged for the full month.
    Also, will VZW Global Data allow me to call or text phones in the US for free/cheap in any way? Eg. over Skype mobile, Nimbuzz, other VOIP apps.
    06-20-10 09:45 PM
    You canNOT use skype on the BB OUTSIDE of the US - it only works on the Verizon network in the US.

On Global data is unlimited - browsing, email. Texting is not included and since I don't text, I don't really know about it.

In EUROPE, at least, for an additional $5/month, phone calls were $0.99/minute which, if I recall, was half the normal price but still not cheap. So check for where you are going.
    06-20-10 10:29 PM
    Thanks Gawain! I found this post on VZW Global Data in a different thread and just wanted to confirm it is true:

Also, will VZW Global Data allow me to call or text phones in the US for free/cheap in any way? Eg. over Skype mobile, Nimbuzz, other VOIP apps.
    The Global BIS plan is $60/mo. It would replace your domestic BIS plan for the period that you're overseas. VZW would pro-rate it. When they unlock your phone, you would be able to switch out your SIM cards, but if it were me, I would just get a cheap dumb-phone for the Singapore SIM (voice) and use the BB for data.

VZW devices don't utilize VoIP/Wifi-Skype so voice calling will be a bit more expensive. An exception to that would be if you were using a global-ready data card from VZW and utilized Skype from a laptop or something like that.
    06-21-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD