Verizon and Skype holding joint press conference at MWC � Boy Genius Report

Verizon Wireless And Skype Host Joint News Conference At Mobile World Congress In Barcelona

Verizon Wireless And Skype Host Joint News Conference At Mobile World Congress In Barcelona
    Media Contact Info

Jeffrey Nelson
    Verizon Wireless
    [email protected]
    917-968-9175

Sravanthi Agrawal
    +352621141696

02/12/2010

WHO:
    Verizon Wireless, the leading wireless provider in the United States, and Skype, the software that enables the world�s conversations

WHAT:
    Verizon Wireless and Skype will hold a news conference during the 2010 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Speakers will include:

John Stratton, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Verizon Wireless
    Josh Silverman, chief executive officer, Skype
    WHERE:
    GSMA Media Centre, Hall 2.1, Press Conference Room 3
    Fira de Barcelona
    Av. Reina Maria Cristina, s/n, 08004
    Barcelona, Spain

To listen to a teleconference of the news conference, participants may call:
    877-883-4690 (toll free within the U.S. and Canada)
    +1 706-758-5386 (international)
    Conference ID: 57101247

WHEN:
    5:15 p.m. CET (11:15 a.m. EST / 8:15 a.m. PST) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

About Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless operates the nation�s most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving more than 91 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NASDAQ and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=AQHLs7QI.

About Skype
    Skype is software that enables the world�s conversations. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls, send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. Every day, people everywhere also use Skype to make low-cost calls to landlines and mobiles. Download Skype to your computer or mobile phone at skype.com.
    02-12-10 03:00 PM
    I can see this running on LTE. Will support VOIP better
    02-12-10 03:54 PM
    I agree, LTE is supposed top have almost zero latency, so it would make a great voice solution.
    02-12-10 07:47 PM
    cant you skype on the new im+ app?
    02-12-10 10:10 PM
    I think there would be a lot of possibilities if Skype and Verizon was ever to work out some sort of deal to where they could bring a Skype application to the BB phones. I know Skype was working on something but have not heard anymore about it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-12-10 10:20 PM
    There is a free app for BB and lots of other phones that allows you to run Skype.

� iSkoot for Skype

You can make calls to Skype contacts but it dials a landline number to connect to the skype network so that portion will either cost or eat up your free minutes. I have tried this but call quality isn't great, still useful to have though. I mainly use it for Skype Chat which works well.
    02-15-10 03:27 PM
    this is coolll
    02-15-10 03:59 PM
    A couple of things:

1) What bit rate does the codec support? Will this be wideband voice and sound better than the EVRC or AMR codecs?
    2) Will this be encrypted? If so, how is CALEA supported? Does it even apply?
    3) Global roaming just got a lot cheaper. Add Global email go to foreign country and skype your brains out. Very, very cool. Like ridiculously awesomely cool (depending on implementation).
    4) How long before VZW phones are sent to places like burma, Iran etc? Think about it, if the PTT's aren't too savvy you'll have a lot of dissidents with cheap secure mobile communications to the outside world. Unfortunately, so do "our enemies". Regardless, I think this is ultimately a net positive thing.
    02-16-10 11:21 AM
    Acutually, you could say LTE may support data better, but not voice. They are still ironing out voice over LTE. EVDO Rev A has low latency. I assume W-CDMA does too but honestly don't follow on on UMTS so I don't really know. LTE, MIGHT, be better, but Rev A should be just fine too.
    02-16-10 11:23 AM
    it's on skype's official site now. hopefully the app will be available for other networks as well.
    02-16-10 12:02 PM
    ok i use skype now on my LT when im overseas. ...
    i also use my bb tour while im over seas. i swap to the international unlimited data plan.

my question is when the skype app drops in March and i put it on my phone , will i be able to use it over seas to make voice calls and NOT charge anything to my vzw acct? Like i already pay for a skype number and skype service. is there going to be a separate charge with VZW?
    02-16-10 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD