Most of you have heard of the Samsung Rogue (U960) with its slider keyboard, TouchWiz UI, complete with widgets & more, & AMOLED display.

It was reported all over the Internet as coming out on August 15th on VZW. Well, August 15th was last Saturday - missed that. It was reported here that it will be out on August 23rd, along with the Omnia2.

Still no word from VZW... or is there?

A few eagle eyes picked up some Yahoo! And Google ads for, yes, you guessed it, the Samsung Rogue. Links on the ads pointed to a Verizon Wireless domain address.

Well, I broke down & checked out Yahoo! & Google (gag on Google) - sure enough, I found the ads. But when I clicked on them, the page couldn't be found on VZW's site.

A case of premature ad release? We should know in the next day or so - but it looks like it will be here shortly & probably with the O2 and a couple other phones, as well. I'd say, watch the VZW site closely over the next few days.

And, it also appears it will be released as the Samsung Rogue & not the silly sequel name of Glyde2. This is, quite possibly, the coolest name in cellphoneland. Until, of course, someone names a phone after me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 11:54 PM
    Yeah I found a link to the Verizon site for this device a few days ago when I was searching for the 8-23-09 release info. It came up as a normal Verizon page but said "could not be found" or something like that where the phone info should have been. I believe I mentioned it in a thread that was deleted when one users posts were all removed so I doubt anyone saw it. At any rate I had asked you, Twins, if you had tested this phone and what it was! So you did answer me after all! I read a post of yours that said this device was not going to require a data plan so I am assuming it is a better "dumb phone" correct?

Someone else mentioned that this phone conjured images of X-Men characters and all around kick "****" status!
    Last edited by sjsjr; 08-18-09 at 12:16 AM.
    08-18-09 12:08 AM
    It is an "advanced device" in VZW parlance. As such, it can use regular voice plans, as well as data/text/VZNav options.

Think of it as a direct competitor to the LG enV Touch. Samsung advantages include a 3-inch AMOLED screen for vivid images & dramatically reduced battery needs. Unlike the enV, it uses a slider design, which means only one screen - lower battery draw, lower cost, decreased thickness & less to go wrong.

Samsung recently standardized their TouchWiz interface, which means all of their devices can have the same easy to customize setup - the advanced devices will look like a smaller O2 screen.

A rough comparison of full-boat monthly prices between a VZW smartphone and a device like the Rogue would look like this (rounded to full dollars):

Smartphone 450 Min
    Voice Plan: $40
    Data: $30
    Unlimited Text: $20
    VZNavigator: $10
    Total: $100

Advanced Device 450 Min
    Premium Voice Plan: $80
    VCast & Data: Included
    Unlimited Text: Included
    VZNavigator: Included
    Total: $80

-OR-

Advanced Device 450 Min Ala-carte
    Voice Plan: $40
    Data: $10/$15 (vCast)
    Text: $20/$15/$10/$5
    VZNavigator: $10
    Total: $40-$85

You get more service for less $$$ on an advanced device. While many advanced devices can download third-party apps, they are mostly those through the carrier store - a disadvantage for some.

Still, they are very attractive devices & worth a look - especially this new Rogue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 12:35 AM
    This sounds like a good device. I am waiting patiently to try the Omnia 2 as well, but will not be buying a new phone until after the new year. I am eligible for upgrade now but 1 - I do not want to give up my $100 NE2 discount as this is the last time I will get that much, and 2 - There are no phones I would upgrade to out right now. I am also interested in the Touch Pro 2 but I don't know if it will be available by then.

gizmo guy that is a very good question. I would not think that the name would be a problem but then I never thought Vince McMahon would have to change to the WWE because people were getting them confused with the Wildlife Federation. A little common sense would be in order I think.
    08-18-09 01:10 AM
    I got to play with the Rouge yesterday, I gotta say I like it. Sleek, smooth, easy to use...IMO it's what the Glyde "should" have been. This phonw will sell.
    08-18-09 09:31 AM
    how do think this will compare to the Tour ??????? or the HTC Touch pro 2 ???
    08-19-09 02:35 PM
    Not the same type of device so I don't know how they would compare. It does look impressive and a viable option to a BB or other Smart Phone.
    08-19-09 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD