If I buy an unlocked BB from ebay am I required to have a data plan on it?

Also does VZW charge to activate GPS on the tour? My data plan was upgraded automatically for some reason to $45 and I'm not sure why or even what the difference is between the $30 and $45 data plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 10:29 AM
    If I buy an unlocked BB from ebay am I required to have a data plan on it?

Also does VZW charge to activate GPS on the tour? My data plan was upgraded automatically for some reason to $45 and I'm not sure why or even what the difference is between the $30 and $45 data plans.

YES. $45 is for BES (corporate) access. That's what a VZW rep told me.
    10-19-09 10:30 AM
    I am hearing more stories about VZW accidentally putting people on BES when they only need BIS.

Make sure you get that changed.

And the GPS works out of the box on the Tour. No need to do anything to make it work.
    10-19-09 10:44 AM
    It automatically puts you on the 44.99 plan when you buy a bb online, I believe.
    10-19-09 11:00 AM
    I am hearing more stories about VZW accidentally putting people on BES when they only need BIS.

And the GPS works out of the box on the Tour. No need to do anything to make it work.
    +1 on that...though, in my case, they signed me up for BIS when I needed BES
    10-19-09 11:01 AM
    If you looked at the online order screen, you'd see the cause - BlackBerry Unlimited: $44.99 is the default selection. If you don't change it, it stays.

The other selection says something like BlackBerry Web/Email: $29.99.

So online orders often will go through with the wrong plan - partly because people don't pay attention & partly because they misunderstand.

I am sure oversights at the retail counter also cause some issues - but reviewing your purchase summary can and will fix 100% of these issues. Problem is, many people are wetting their pants over getting a new phone & they could have anything slipped into their service or contract.

10-19-09 12:12 PM

It's not an accident. BES auto populates whenever you add a blackberry and reps "forget" to change it.
    10-19-09 12:51 PM
    It's not an accident. BES auto populates whenever you add a blackberry and reps "forget" to change it.
    Why would they do it on purpose knowing that it'll be changed soon? Sometimes a mistake is just that.

10-19-09 12:57 PM
    Ya know....my buddy just went in to get info on his device and he's convinced he's on the BES. Now, I see why. That's ridiculous.
    10-19-09 12:57 PM
    LOL its a conspiracy all reps try to get 15.00 more out of you...
    Now you know.
    10-19-09 12:58 PM
    And for anyone signing themselves up online, "Blackberry Unlimited" sure sounds like the right choice.

OMG. What crap.
    10-19-09 01:25 PM
    And for anyone signing themselves up online, "Blackberry Unlimited" sure sounds like the right choice.

OMG. What crap.
    What.

10-19-09 01:27 PM
    LOL its a conspiracy all reps try to get 15.00 more out of you...
    Now you know.

Same reason the Corp store near here auto adds the Tethering option to all blackberries whenever it is a month free, even after customers explicitly tell them not to. Most customers don't catch it right away.

I'm not saying all reps do it, but there are a lot that do. Won't help them commission wise, but it helps with DAPC, and since most consumers only sync one email to their blackberry, they can go for far more than 6 months before they realize it.
    10-19-09 01:46 PM
    Same reason the Corp store near here auto adds the Tethering option to all blackberries whenever it is a month free, even after customers explicitly tell them not to. Most customers don't catch it right away.

I'm not saying all reps do it, but there are a lot that do. Won't help them commission wise, but it helps with DAPC, and since most consumers only sync one email to their blackberry, they can go for far more than 6 months before they realize it.
    Oh well I used to sign up ppl for free magazine subscriptions and if they didnt cancel within 3 months it autocharges their credit card. its life. pay attention or be taken advantage of.
    10-19-09 01:49 PM

It's called slamming and I've personally seen reps fired for it.
    10-19-09 03:29 PM
    Oh well I used to sign up ppl for free magazine subscriptions and if they didnt cancel within 3 months it autocharges their credit card. its life. pay attention or be taken advantage of.
    Actually, as the employee, you're supposed to be the advocate for the customer and look out for them. They also have a responsibility but when the customer says NO DO NOT ADD THIS FEATURE and you do anyways, that's not their ignorance. That's you slamming and I hope you get fired if you do it. Also, if you know the feature auto-adds the $44.99 just change it in the same order -- it's not hard, it takes one second and after doing lots of orders you shouldn't make the mistake anymore.
    10-19-09 03:30 PM
    A mistake or misunderstanding is one thing. To purposely put something on that the customer doesn't want is fraudulent & shows a huge lack of integrity.

The latter is terminable.

10-19-09 04:05 PM
    You have to give people the details, or it becomes fraud.

10-19-09 04:17 PM
    YES. $45 is for BES (corporate) access. That's what a VZW rep told me.

And again...

Yea, doing it online auto populates the BES instead of the BIS, just change it back and it will be fine.
    10-19-09 04:21 PM
    And again...

Yea, doing it online auto populates the BES instead of the BIS, just change it back and it will be fine.
    What's the quote for? I was talking about the magazine subscriptions.

10-19-09 04:44 PM
    What's the quote for? I was talking about the magazine subscriptions.

Because you always back up your incorrect nonsense posts with "thats what a verizon rep told me" No one told you anything. This simple data plan fact you did get right though. good job.
    10-19-09 05:02 PM
    Because you always back up your incorrect nonsense posts with "thats what a verizon rep told me" No one told you anything. This simple data plan fact you did get right though. good job.
    I don't post incorrect information. And no need to highlight my own posts, I'm quite aware of what I say.

10-19-09 05:13 PM
    I don't post incorrect information. And no need to highlight my own posts, I'm quite aware of what I say.

lol you dont post incorrect info? This was the first time you had accurate info.
    10-19-09 05:36 PM
    I believe the point is that everyone here knows you're a VZW rep. You either A) Bring attention to that fact when you constantly post that lie -OR- B) you want to add credibility to what you just said; to elevate your post above others.

To use that phrase is plastic at best.

Your responses are often snarky in tone, which causes some to get their defenses up & others to just snicker.

10-19-09 05:41 PM
    Being snarky doesn't make my responses incorrect, and I find it humorous that they can't find a single post of mine that's incorrect.

10-19-09 06:26 PM
131 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD