So I'm using a Blackberry Tour, and even in full EVDO coverage, I average somewhere around 30 Kilobits / Second. That seems slow to me from what I've been reading about average EVDO speeds, even Rev 0 speeds and the Tour is a Rev A device.

It's almost like I'm capped at 300kbps. Anyone have a similar experience. This is in the metro Boston / Boston suburbs west and north areas.
    09-09-09 08:44 AM
    Can you post what method or app you used to calculate your download speed and whether you are using the BlackBerry browser or another browser. That way, others can use the same method and the results may be comparable.

The reason I ask is because if you use the Opera browser to test your download speed, you will get radically different data because of their compression technology I believe.
    09-09-09 08:53 AM
    I'm using the BB built in browser to download multimedia files, such as mp3s. During the download process it does show you your speed.
    09-09-09 09:35 AM
    So it wasn't through like a speed test website...
    09-09-09 09:37 AM
    You should downloadn the speed test app from the crackberry app store its a lot better to see your speeds then downloading something and seeing it thatt Way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 09:45 AM
    09-09-09 04:45 PM
    Is the speed test app free?

09-09-09 05:05 PM
    Is the speed test app free?

Yes, it's free.
    09-09-09 05:47 PM
    It is free & highly inaccurate as it measures speed from RIM to the SpeedTest server.

You cannot do an accurate speed test from a BlackBerry device, regardless of browser. You must tether using WinDUN or similar & run SpeedTest from your tethered computer with a direct-connect browser.

Using BlackBerry, you will not get anything worth reporting, period.

09-09-09 06:38 PM
    Aaaah okay.. I'll take your word for it... Who cares anyway its fast enough for me.

09-09-09 08:35 PM
    The so called carrier wars that BGR held bout a month a go were very inaccurate to. They had people post there speeds in the comments. I noticed lots of them were using the speed test app on there bb to measure speeds especially on VZ.

09-09-09 08:57 PM
    I've gotten speeds up to 2.45mbps before with my tethered Blackberry Tour.

Typical:

09-09-09 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD