Does anyone who has more information about the LTE roll out on VZW mind answering some questions.

The biggest question i have is, will LTE be able to be built upon the existing CDMA network, thus still using CDMA for voice communications and using LTE for data? And if that is the case then that wouldn't mean that our phone would need or use any SIM cards?

Or is LTE a complete voice and data solution that is solely based on VoIP and would mean that the CDMA radios would not be required assuming 100% LTE coverage...

any ideas?
    03-23-09 02:43 PM
    LTE is supposed to be a complete package for voice and data. The design is to speed up the network as a whole and not just half of the services. This is one of the reasons that I think we are seeing so many "World Phones" showing up on the VZW network right now.
    03-23-09 03:15 PM
    Not only increase speed, but bandwidth as well.

Depending on your area, it is likely you'll start hearing LTE rumblings/PR stuff out of VZW later this year and definitely in 2010.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 03:35 PM
    That was not supposed to be page ranking - rather is was supposed to be PR for public relations.

03-23-09 03:37 PM
    Okay - this isn't an autotext issue - P.R. issue. Dumb vBulletin formatting.

03-23-09 03:38 PM
    Word from VZW manager .. (who knows how accurate!)

it will be tested in select markets in late 3rd Q and 4th with wider coverage in 2010.
    03-25-09 01:44 AM
    Isn't LTE based on GSM, not CDMA?
    03-25-09 09:05 AM
    I believe LTE is more closely related to GSM, than CDMA, but I think it's really something new. Most of the carriers, are going the LTE route for 4G. Only 1, Sprint maybe???? Is going for Wifimax
    03-25-09 10:09 AM
    Isn't LTE based on GSM, not CDMA?
    No - it is UMTS based, with an authentication protocol much like CDMA, and it is closer to WiMAX in operation.

It is easier to convert from CDMA to LTE than from GSM to LTE.

03-25-09 10:11 AM
    I stand corrected!
    03-25-09 02:25 PM
    I stand corrected!
    Its okay - with all of the hype & hope online about it, there is a bunch of bad info. The GSM crowd has been using the conversion to try to make a case that VZW has raised the white flag to the "superior" technology. Some even claim a link between UMTS & GSM. In reality, LTE devices probably won't have any form of SIM card and LTE is beyond CDMA which is beyond GSM.

If LTE had been much longer in development, there might have been a push for EV-DV, but with only trivial bandwidth improvements, the cost would've been too high to justify just to allow users to talk & surf at the same time.

The really cool thing about LTE is not just the stationary service possibilities, but that it will render the WiFi discussion moot, just as HDTV, DVD & BlueRay made VHS something we no longer discuss.

BUT WAIT, the WiFi crowd will cry, LTE is promising "only" 30-60mbps, while WiFi does 100! Yes, but the Internet connection that WiFi connects to may only be 256k-1.5mbps and no more than 7-10 in most circumstances. Online, coast to coast, at 30mbps is far preferable to WiFi.

And, if you can afford to travel overseas, you can afford a temporary solution for areas LTE is unavailable.

Or, there might be LTE BlackBerrys with WiFi, but you'll rarely want to use that feature.

03-25-09 05:05 PM
    Verizon Issues First Set of LTE Specs for Hardware Vendors
    Today, 6:33 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Today Verizon Wireless announced the availability of the first set of technical specifications for manufacturers wishing to build devices for Verizon's future Long Term Evolution network. The specs provide guidelines for both access and data transport for LTE devices. Verizon said that it will host a web conference on May 13 to discuss the specifications in more detail. The company plans a commercial roll-out of LTE starting in 2010. The LTE network will use Verizon's 700MHz spectrum, and be used to connect a wide range of devices to wireless data services.

Source Phone Scoop

LTE as posted at VZW site

This link will require to register to see the info, bummer
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-17-09 at 12:21 PM.
    04-17-09 12:17 PM
    I have a question about this, I thought that LTE would end up with GSM phones basically using sim cards. So will LTE use sim cards or no?
    04-17-09 09:52 PM
    OF this I do not know, but I doubt that VZW will ever go sim card. But I am sure we will find out after awhile.
    04-17-09 09:59 PM
    From what I've seen, no - no SIM cards. They are a huge security risk and not needed for LTE.

04-17-09 10:55 PM
    BUT WAIT, the WiFi crowd will cry, LTE is promising "only" 30-60mbps, while WiFi does 100! Yes, but the Internet connection that WiFi connects to may only be 256k-1.5mbps and no more than 7-10 in most circumstances. Online, coast to coast, at 30mbps is far preferable to WiFi.
    The other problem with Wi-Fi is is that it's limited by portable hardware. You really won't see much of an increase in performance if you don't have the hardware to back it up. I know I say this a lot, but PDAs in our current day and time are about as powerful and temperamental as Win 98 desktops. Just because there are faster theoretical speeds doesn't mean the user's experience will speed up. IMO, most of it's placebo.

True, the only portable device I've ever seen render a webpage "quickly" on my standards is a Nintendo DSi, which is Wi-Fi only, but a desktop computer running an EVDO connection will be far faster than a DSi rendering from Wi-Fi anyday. For what it's worth, apparently Nintendo's been toying around with the idea of putting out a cell-phone for years.
    04-18-09 12:41 AM
    For what it's worth, apparently Nintendo's been toying around with the idea of putting out a cell-phone for years.
    Can you say fastest selling cellphone on the market? I have read on articles on this also seems interesting im sure alot of people will buy this i think it would beat out the iphone.
    04-18-09 12:06 PM
    Can you say fastest selling cellphone on the market? I have read on articles on this also seems interesting im sure alot of people will buy this i think it would beat out the iphone.
    I personally think it would. The question is, how long will it take the carrier suits to recognize that potential cash cow?

I know Kotaku's always managing to dig up some sort of patent or other on stuff they're working on. I figure it's only a matter of time. (Even if it's a Looooooooooooooong time.)
    04-19-09 11:31 PM
    i'd buy a nintendo cell phone in a heartbeat...imagine the fanboi-ism, think apple fanboi tenfold!
    04-20-09 11:52 AM
    my friend and i took a 2 hour road trip to go to a baseball game and we talked LTE the entire time. he had just finished with some vzw training course on the tech and infrastructure of using LTE...blew my friggin' mind...i can't even begin to start. i just drooled for 2 hours. essentially LTE = giant wi-fi, can't wait for it to launch!
    04-20-09 11:55 AM
    my friend and i took a 2 hour road trip to go to a baseball game and we talked LTE the entire time. he had just finished with some vzw training course on the tech and infrastructure of using LTE...blew my friggin' mind...i can't even begin to start. i just drooled for 2 hours. essentially LTE = giant wi-fi, can't wait for it to launch!
    After learning how strong VZW's network will be I will be a VZW customer for a long time to come.
    Nintendo cell phone huh.
    04-20-09 12:16 PM
    So will todays phones work on LTE?
    04-21-09 08:45 PM
    Twinsx2Dad- You have a very cool avatar!
    04-21-09 08:46 PM
    CDMA will still be around for a while until we get everyone on lte capable phones. I'll be buying one as soon as we have it rolled out down here.
    04-21-09 08:54 PM
    Not on a straight LTE network - but we won't see one of thise for probably 5-7 years. VZW has said they will maintain their CDMA network in colocation operation for that long. No word yet on how long AT&T plans on maintaining GSM.
    Twinsx2Dad- You have a very cool avatar!
    Thanks - kind of a sinister bug squasher.

04-21-09 08:56 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD