If you subscribe to a Data Plan or Feature on February 3, 2011 or after, the following applies:
    Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.
    Vzwsvc211-B

Terms & Conditions

Ahead Of iPhone, Verizon Says It May Start Throttling Top 5% Of Data Users - The Consumerist
    02-03-11 08:38 PM
    Yep, it's here. I wonder if due to the data compression Blackberries are exempted.
    02-03-11 09:53 PM
    I'm usein blkberry tour rite now,unlimted data-if and when I get(let's say bionic or samsung),I'm guessin ill use more data-is my thinkin rite?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 10:35 PM
    yes you will probably
    02-03-11 10:40 PM
    I'm usein blkberry tour rite now,unlimted data-if and when I get(let's say bionic or samsung),I'm guessin ill use more data-is my thinkin rite?

I tripled my data usage when I went from my BB to an Android in the first month. So I am sure you may see an increase as well.
    02-04-11 10:23 AM
    They are probably just going to throttle wasteful Droid and iphone users.
    02-04-11 10:53 AM
    They are probably just going to throttle wasteful Droid and iphone users.
    Wasteful? HA! Android and iPhone users just don't suffer from data outages. And our browser doesn't suck.

02-04-11 11:47 AM
    This is probably a result of the Iphone coming out. Att had network overloads due to the Iphone (and a ****ty network), ,but Im sure Verizon is a little concerned as well and saying it now instead of later so it doesn't look stupid when they say.."Iphone usage has killed our network, so we're limiting data to the top users"...they do it now and no harm, no foul.

Great...I don't want an Iphone, but I get to be limited because of it!
    02-04-11 11:52 AM
    I thought the FCC said to Carriers that if you have internet that it must be an open network, meaning you cannot throttle the speed? I remember AT&T was not happy because they told the FCC that if they open the network all the way the users will jam it. The FCC said to AT&T they do not care, fix it.
    02-04-11 12:42 PM
    Wasteful? HA! Android and iPhone users just don't suffer from data outages. And our browser doesn't suck.

Yea I just said it to get your goat.
    02-04-11 01:42 PM
    I thought the FCC said to Carriers that if you have internet that it must be an open network, meaning you cannot throttle the speed? I remember AT&T was not happy because they told the FCC that if they open the network all the way the users will jam it. The FCC said to AT&T they do not care, fix it.
    Net neutrality wouldn't matter since they aren't slowing specific sites or content.

02-04-11 02:45 PM
    It is just those that use a crap ton of data which I know even if I had an iPhone I wouldn't do because when I had an Android phone I only used two gigs a month.

02-04-11 02:53 PM
    I tripled my data usage when I went from my BB to an Android in the first month. So I am sure you may see an increase as well.
    Hmmm, mine went down, but my blackberry didn't have WiFi like my android.
    02-04-11 06:34 PM
    Hmmm, mine went down, but my blackberry didn't have WiFi like my android.
    I hardly use WiFi...I do use it more more though. Trying to condition myself since we may lose unlimited.

02-04-11 07:39 PM
    I hardly use WiFi...I do use it more more though. Trying to condition myself since we may lose unlimited.

"We" meaning iphone and droid.
    02-04-11 07:52 PM
    If you're not in the top 5% then don't get your panties in a bunch. If you're sucking down that much bandwidth you deserve to ge throttled.

Tried the Droid X..gorgeous battery sucking display..having to charge it 3 times a day made me bring it back in the week. I'll stick with RIM for now until the LTE iPhone5 hits then I'm gone.
    02-04-11 10:27 PM
    Yeah top 5% of over 90million customers isn't bad. Unless you constantly watch youtube or stream pandora all day I think you'll be fine. Me personally I'd like my phone to work rather than have unlimited data. On average I use about 2 to 3 gig a month on my incredible and about 125mb / month on my blackberry. As long as verizon doesn't jack up the price I dont really care if they cut back on the top 5%.
    02-04-11 11:10 PM
    "We" meaning iphone and droid.
    "We" meaning those who get the new 4G phones whether they be ANdroid or iPhone and whether the plans change or not.
    02-05-11 12:07 AM
    "We" meaning those who get the new 4G phones whether they be ANdroid or iPhone and whether the plans change or not.
    We can almost bet the house 4G data plans will not be unlimited or if they are, they will be very pricey.

I'll stick with my "unlimited" $20 txt and data discount 3G for the foreseeable future.
    02-05-11 10:28 AM
    We can almost bet the house 4G data plans will not be unlimited or if they are, they will be very pricey.

I'll stick with my "unlimited" $20 txt and data discount 3G for the foreseeable future.
    I would too if I wasn't so addicted to new phones.

02-05-11 11:13 AM
    Yeah top 5% of over 90million customers isn't bad. Unless you constantly watch youtube or stream pandora all day I think you'll be fine. Me personally I'd like my phone to work rather than have unlimited data. On average I use about 2 to 3 gig a month on my incredible and about 125mb / month on my blackberry. As long as verizon doesn't jack up the price I dont really care if they cut back on the top 5%.
    Tangent time...I'm curious - What do you use your incredible for that you don't do on your Blackberry? 2-3GB per month is the same as downloading 2-3 movies.

I'm just curious about the disparity...
    02-05-11 11:41 AM
    Tangent time...I'm curious - What do you use your incredible for that you don't do on your Blackberry? 2-3GB per month is the same as downloading 2-3 movies.

I'm just curious about the disparity...
    Android has widgets and feeds that can be updated constantly, as well as a superior web browsing experience which includes Flash and html 5 rendering. Dish Network also has a Slingbox loaded DVR that will stream your TV and DVR recordings to the phone.

Android is just capable of doing many more things than Black Berry.
    howarmat and rewd like this.
    02-05-11 03:42 PM
    I'm not liking this. I was thinking of switching back to Verizon when I changed to a 4G Android but I use about 5 gigs a month on my 9700. So if BB compresses the data I could theoretically be using 15g on VZW?

I want to switch because I liked Verizon's network a lot but I stream Slacker or Sirius for 9 hours a day mon-friday at work (plus while driving) and don't want to get throttled.
    02-05-11 11:40 PM
    If you're not in the top 5% then don't get your panties in a bunch. If you're sucking down that much bandwidth you deserve to ge throttled.

Tried the Droid X..gorgeous battery sucking display..having to charge it 3 times a day made me bring it back in the week. I'll stick with RIM for now until the LTE iPhone5 hits then I'm gone.

What??!! Someone DESERVES to be throttled if they are in the top 5%?? Don't they pay for it like everyone else? Maybe the right answer would be to charge more for power users over 5gb, but to be restricted for up to two billing cycles for taking advantage of unlimited data plans and data rich apps on phones they advertise as a multimedia superstars running on a network they brag can handle it..... is disgusting to me. If I wanted a phone to only make phone calls I would have bought a dumb phone...and so would have you. If I wanted to worry about data overages I would go with ATT...VZW already falsely advertises unlimited data (5gb limit) and now I have to worry if I may fall in the 5%...and what is that? I would rather pay more than have data performance scaled back whenever they decide I'm using to much. Kinda thought that was the reason I chose VZW in the first place. What people deserve??? What a stupid thing to say.....I deserve what I pay for and the terms I agreed to, same as everyone else....except I guess you.

02-06-11 04:19 AM
    yes if you are in the top 5% you deserve to be throttled probably. You are not using the data just on the smartphone. You would have to be tethering or downloading stuff (torrent etc) to even come close to the numbers they are talking about. These would be the people in that 5%, there is no way you are doing 10 GBs or whatever just using a smartphone the way it was intending IMO
    02-06-11 10:59 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD