Okay...I know there are Verizon employees on these forums...which will likely work in my favor to get a good answer. Anyone with knowledge, please chime in. I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I've been a Verizon wireless (VZW) customer for about 5 years now. VZW does not offer service in Alaska but we use partner towers with no issues. When I moved to Alaska in 2007, I maintained my contract with VZW so my wife could continue speaking with her friends and family also on Verizon. I opened another account with a local carrier for my job. I'm moving back to the lower 48 later this year so I cancelled my local carrier and upgraded back up to a family plan with VZW and ordered a BB Storm. The phone works fine. When I activated it by calling *228, I was connected with an ACS (Alaska Communication System) recording which directed me to contact a VZW rep for further guidance. I knew this would happen, so no big deal. Here's my dilemma. I don't have a browser icon on my home screen. I did some research (including on this forum) for others with similar problems and tried their solutions with no success. According to VZW's web site, my area is considered an "Extended Enhanced" service area. It goes on to say "Picture/Video Messaging, Mobile Web and Mobile Email works in both the Enhanced Services and Extended Enhanced Services coverage area". I confirmed this with a customer service rep (CSR). After a couple failed attempts to resolve my issue, the CSR told me I basically have two options. 1) Wait until I get back to the lower 48 (in November) then dial *228 again and I should get the browser, or 2) send my BB to someone in the lower 48 (family or friend) who can in turn dial *228, get the browser, then mail the BB back to me then my browser will work here. My question is....does that sound right to anyone out there? The way I see it...I have 30 days to decide whether I like it or not, so I have a 3rd option. Send it back and open an account with AT&T, get a couple iPhones (which by the way work fine in Anchorage), and tell my wife to get all her talking done now 'cause her contract runs out next month. I'm gonna go see what kind of deals AT&T has while I wait for replies to this post. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some insight.
    03-16-09 09:57 PM
    What things have you tried?

The missing browser issue is resolved by sending your host routing registration message.
    03-16-09 10:01 PM
    That's part of the problem. Since I wasn't able to fully activate the phone with VZW via the *228, there is no host routing registration message to send. The other thing I tried was removing the battery and reinstalling it.
    03-16-09 10:44 PM
    Does it make and receive phone calls? Do text messages work?
    03-16-09 10:47 PM
    Yep, the phone works fine. I did a text test today and it worked as well.
    03-17-09 12:19 AM
    I am constantly back and forth between anchorage and California. I'm pretty sure what they are telling you is correct although I haven't tried using the browser in AK yet. I'm pretty sure it won't work though. It has something to do with their digital capabilities. Only text messaging worked last time I was there (last summer). I don't think picture messaging works between the states either.
    03-17-09 01:48 AM
    Yeah you have to send the Host Routing Table Message. I am not sure why you would not. What I would do is call 1-800-922-0204 Press Option #3 to talk to Tech Support and they can send out service books to get this straighten out.
    03-17-09 10:28 AM
    The phone has to be programmed in a VZW service area for the browser to work. No way around that.

Iphone won't do picture messages in alaska though. Won't do it anywhere actually. Have fun with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 02:55 PM
    Would suggest that you read up on the horror stories regarding the iPhone's performance on AT&T's 3G network in the L48 before buying two. Let alone the troubles you can expect anywhere outside Anchorage proper on their very old (Dobson's) 2G network. Rumor has it that VZ will be the next carrier - and soon - for the iPhone. I use a BB 8830 on the ACS network up here and travel regularly to the L48. What's often not known is ACS' exclusive roaming partner in the L48 is Verizon. I have great performance here and there.
    03-17-09 06:28 PM
    The phone has to be programmed in a VZW service area for the browser to work. No way around that.

Iphone won't do picture messages in alaska though. Won't do it anywhere actually. Have fun with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    iPhone to Get MMS, Cut & Paste, Stereo Bluetooth and More
    Today, 12:05 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Today, 1:39 PM

Apple announced some new features that will be available to iPhones running OS 3.0. Among them will be cut, copy, and paste. During the demonstration, Apple showed how to select text, and also showed that if you shake the phone (i.e., using the accelerometer), it will deselect what users have selected. Apple also said that it will now support the QWERTY keyboard in all applications when in landscape mode, and not just the browser. Users will now be able to attach more than one image at a time to emails, and the iPhone now supports MMS. The iPhone will now be able to record voice memos, as well as conduct searches within all applications on the device. The update will also include stereo Bluetooth. iPhone OS 3.0 will be available to the 3G iPhone this summer for free.
    03-17-09 06:52 PM
    Yeah you have to send the Host Routing Table Message. I am not sure why you would not. What I would do is call 1-800-922-0204 Press Option #3 to talk to Tech Support and they can send out service books to get this straighten out.
    Wrong: if the phone has never been registered, the sevice books will not go there.
    03-17-09 06:53 PM
    Wrong: if the phone has never been registered, the sevice books will not go there.
    You are correct...
    03-17-09 10:10 PM
    iPhone to Get MMS, Cut & Paste, Stereo Bluetooth and More
    Today, 12:05 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Today, 1:39 PM

Apple announced some new features that will be available to iPhones running OS 3.0. Among them will be cut, copy, and paste. During the demonstration, Apple showed how to select text, and also showed that if you shake the phone (i.e., using the accelerometer), it will deselect what users have selected. Apple also said that it will now support the QWERTY keyboard in all applications when in landscape mode, and not just the browser. Users will now be able to attach more than one image at a time to emails, and the iPhone now supports MMS. The iPhone will now be able to record voice memos, as well as conduct searches within all applications on the device. The update will also include stereo Bluetooth. iPhone OS 3.0 will be available to the 3G iPhone this summer for free.
    So will this supersede the paid upgrade to 2.0? Man...... Apple is awesome. Adding features you have been able to get in a free phone for years after a year and a half or two years of having the product out? WTF took so long?
    03-17-09 11:00 PM

I'm a big Apple fan as well but I'm always amazed by those that allow functionality to trump performance. All of these features are great provided the network performs. Try using an iPhone 10 miles north or south of Anchorage. You can use that QWERTY keyboard and it's new cut-and-paste feature to send 'AT&T sucks in Alaska' to all your friends in the L48.
    03-18-09 12:51 PM
    if you are connected through Verizon you will have to activate the storm in a verizon network area to get the browser and e-mail service books downloaded to your storm. My GF had this same problem when she got her phone from Verizon. She couldn't use the data accessories until she went to Washington and was able to register her phone and download the service books.

So if you were to send it south and have someone activate it that would work... or if you are traveling south you can do it.

Hope that helps.
    05-26-09 01:44 PM
    ok i have an acs plan with an 8330 and i want to upgrade to a storm! or 9550. would i still have to do all the set up through vzw even if i want to unlock the phone and set it up with acs?!
    10-23-09 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD