Verizon “Enhanced Multimedia Phones” to require data plans, death of the Vpak, and more : Boy Genius Report

2 Questions regarding the 4 criteria:

1) What is a “premium” HTML browser? Is it any HTML browser that is, thus, not a mobile-web browser? Or is it a certain category of HTML browser?
    2) What is “Rev A”?

I am planning on getting my daughter an enV 3. Would that fall into the 4 criteria. Granted, the enV 3 was released already so it is moot, but I am curious about phones like that which are released post-9/8.....

Also, I plan on having Verizon lock out web access. If I do that, will it technically negate the browser criteria?
    This just get’s more confusing day by day. But I agree with the one post noted above…..Customers will drive the phone makers for a phone with QWERTY that does not fall into the 4 criteria.

I also assume that a BBerry is a whole different structure, right? Thus the current BBerry data plan of $29.99 stays, right? Or would that change for BBerry's released after 9/8?

In this day and age, carriers are all about data and rightfully so. Subscribers are becoming more reliant on data-dependent mobile apps and services each day, and carriers are hardly about to miss out on the potential revenue — just look at how many people gobbled up AT&T’s $30 iPhone data plan without batting an eye. Verizon is pushing data just as hard as any other carrier (BlackBerry BOGO, anyone?) and come September, Big Red is turning up the heat even more. One of our ninjas hit us with a brief internal VZW slide deck and it details several new policies about to go into place — the most notable change being the introduction of a new device class: the “Enhanced Multimedia Phone”. To fall into this new category, a handset must have an HTML Web browser, EV-DO Rev. A, a QWERTY keypad and it must launch on or after September 8th; making the Samsung Rogue VZW’s first handset to meet the criteria.
    Enhanced Multimedia Phones might not be smartphones but they will require a data plan just like their big brothers and sisters. Customers who snatch up an Enhanced Multimedia Phone will be required to chose a data plan of $9.99 for 25MB or $19.99 for 75MB. Other changes currently brewing at Verizon include the death of the $15 VCAST Vpak (current subscribers grandfathered) and introduction of a $10 “VCAST Video On Demand” plan. For those unfamiliar with the option, the Vpak provided unlimited data for feature phones whereas the new $10 VCAST plan will only provide unlimited videos, thus requiring either the $9.99 or $19.99 data option for users wanting Web, email, etc (or pay $1.99/MB without a data plan). Hit the jump for a larger version of the slide above along with the rest of this short but informative deck.

Last edited by jlb21; 08-31-09 at 02:23 PM.
    08-31-09 02:18 PM
    sure did but thanks for making it easier to find on the boards.
    08-31-09 02:21 PM
    08-31-09 02:27 PM
    crazy... oh well, i already pay for data
    08-31-09 02:54 PM
    This is for a new generation of devices - most likely above enV Touch, but short of a full smartphone.

Probably no concern for smartphone folks or enV users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:55 PM
    Well, it would be a problem if when an enV 3/Touch user kills their phone and needs a new phone and the same phone is no longer available........and the only alternative is a phone that qualifies for the 4 criteria.
    08-31-09 02:58 PM
    this would affect dumbphones only based on what the above states. Env3 would not require this, nor would the env touch.
    08-31-09 06:51 PM
    Interesting
    08-31-09 06:56 PM
    Wow... I can see this going over badly for the store reps and csr's... I'm still getting kickback on the pda plan requirements...

08-31-09 07:24 PM
    Maybe there will be a huge movement to cricket/pocket. You can get unlimited everything for like $50 with no contract. Its a no brainer if you don't want a smartphone.

08-31-09 09:19 PM
    Maybe there will be a huge movement to cricket/pocket. You can get unlimited everything for like $50 with no contract. Its a no brainer if you don't want a smartphone.
    Stop! Don't move! Be very quiet! Hear that whimpering? That is the sound of the guy who went with Cricket/Pocket/MetroPCS who can't get a signal in half of nearly any large city.

Yeah - half the price of Sprint. What do you get? Half of Sprint's coverage area in town & worse out of town.

Choosing those is a sign of someone with no brainer. Or lousy credit.
    08-31-09 10:06 PM
    I remember using the 15 vpak when I was with verizon. Good stuff.

However, this capped data is really kind of lame. Even AT&T offers plans with unlimited data and not just smartphones...

There will def be a ruckus because it's required and ppl don't want to pay. However, I bet people are going to find it bothersome that so little data is allowed.

08-31-09 10:18 PM
    Well, if you go by this, there's technically still unlimited plans available, they're just the connect plans.

Honestly, why not just require connect plan? *ponders*
    08-31-09 11:07 PM
    Yeah connect or premium will give you what you need anyways. Most people don't use much data on a dumbphone anyway. I think the average is like 7 or 8MB realistically with a light user. So it may save someone $5.
    08-31-09 11:51 PM
    Well, if you go by this, there's technically still unlimited plans available, they're just the connect plans.

Because if its a secondary line, and the primary phone isn't compatible w/connect, they have to add on data separately.
    This is what i heard from a VZW rep.
    09-01-09 12:34 AM
    i just hope that there rates dont go up
    09-01-09 12:39 AM

You'll feel smart figuring out that you can get unlimited.
    09-01-09 02:05 AM
    Because if its a secondary line, and the primary phone isn't compatible w/connect, they have to add on data separately.
    This is what i heard from a VZW rep.
    Hey, I *am* a VZW rep. And I say it's as easy as changing the primary.

Granted, then you get these family phone-territory battles. Some people get a little touchy when Little Billy gets the NE2 instead of them. (Hehehehe...)
    09-01-09 03:10 AM
    I tried web browsing on my wife's envTouch and just wanted to fling the thing. Of course she just loves the phone but doesn't browse much on it.

Also, I pay my 30 buck a month for my bb plan. It takes me 2 hours of work to earn that money, after taxes and such. For those 2 hours a month I get at least 70 hours of blackberry use. Its well worth it.
    Last edited by skyboxer; 09-01-09 at 06:06 AM.
    09-01-09 04:18 AM
    Hey, I *am* a VZW rep. And I say it's as easy as changing the primary.

Granted, then you get these family phone-territory battles. Some people get a little touchy when Little Billy gets the NE2 instead of them. (Hehehehe...)
    You should know that when you change the primary, the NE2 credit is wiped out.

09-01-09 08:40 AM
    You wont have to get the extra data on your daughters phone only phones released after the september 8th release will require the rediculous data plan. The rogue will be the first of its kind for verizon even though the EnV 3 does fall under the 4 criteria
    09-01-09 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD