I awoke this morning to find a Wireless Update Icon upon my screen.

So, being on the road, I decided to give it a shot. I got a notice that OS 4.5.0.175 was now available to download. So, I figured, why not?

I had a recent backup done, so I downloaded the update, which can actually be saved and set up to install at a more convenient time.

It gives you options to check,before you download the OS, and here I'll deliver a warning to the unwary. Do Not check BBM if you already have the 5.0 BBM. This update installs 4.5 BBM, not the newer version. And it makes for a fun moment if you do!

I ran the install program, and watched as all of the database went through backup as if I was hooked to my computer at home. The screen stays on during all of the steps, I recommend being hooked to the charger, as a safety precaution.

The warning says it may take up to two hours to complete the steps. In my case, 46 minutes from start to full reboot.

Well, nice I thought, as my registry message came in, I looked at the screen and noticed something missing.

My BBM icon.

I checked the apps list, there were two BBM apps listed. 5.0.0.33, and 4.5. Oops.

Well, I quickly deleted 4.5, went to one of my handy links, and reloaded 5.0. When that had replaced the snafu'd one, I then rebooted and got a fresh, blank BBM, which asked me if I wanted to restore my Remote Backup.
    Of course.

And within moments, I watched my BBM rise from the dead, my contacts all restored, the group restored, and the last convo came back.

I used MaxMem some time ago, and deleted themes and such. Happy to say that they returned, even though I could've reloaded them earlier by reloading the OS. My About field has returned, also.

So, I am glad that I've watched the folks here at CrackBerry, and was able to run things as smoothly as possible, even with my own screwup with BBM.

I hope that ya'll enjoy the new OS!

VAD has also returned. If this one doesn't work better than the last, it'll be bye-bye.

Added note, this update has eliminated 'chasing the box' when posting on WAP. I like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 10-21-09 at 04:50 PM.
    10-20-09 01:32 PM
    Great. I just saw the same update on my phone and started the download. I have BBM 5.0 so it will help knowing that the update offers the 4.5. I did not back up my phone first but I will try to do so before I complete the download.
    10-20-09 03:04 PM
    Interesting, thanks for the heads up, BK. If you delete VAD, you will not have the "About" screen. Instead you have to hold down ALT and type EACE...
    10-20-09 03:08 PM
    I thought the BBM info was pretty important. Always fun learning what not to do. Got a nice chunk of memory back after I was done, too.

10-20-09 03:28 PM
    I updated last week, using the file directly from BB's site and DM to do the install. It did delete my BBM 5.0.0.33, but it reinstalled the same version. I wonder what they changed when they created the OTA link?
    10-20-09 04:51 PM
    Should be the same. I hadn't seen any real posts about the Wireless Update being run very much. And I hadn't seen any mention about it installing the old BBM.

10-20-09 05:00 PM
    Thanks for the heads up BergerKing. I downloaded the new OS from my computer and did not update the BBM as I already had 5.0. The process took about 45 minutes, partly due to reading all the possible upgrades that were offered, to see if they were needed. otherwise the process went well and my BBM still works.
    10-20-09 05:41 PM
    Glad it went well for you. I took the chance with the wireless version, but I had to see how it worked. I've updated other phones wirelessly before, but doing it with my BB was a bit more, 'tense', to say the least.

But, watching it do its thing, I was pleased to see it perfom just like I was hooked to a USB.

10-20-09 06:25 PM
    A noted tweak on this OS is in the phone. When hanging up from a call, I would sometimes have to shut down to get my data back. Now, after a call, I'm able to go right back into a data session, so that's a plus.

10-21-09 04:52 PM
    1 - I'm on a bes. If I do the wireless update, will it keep me on the bes or will that need to be re-activated?

2 - what are the new features/advantages of the .175 over .131?

10-22-09 07:30 PM
    1 - I'm on a bes. If I do the wireless update, will it keep me on the bes or will that need to be re-activated?

2 - what are the new features/advantages of the .175 over .131?

I would consult your BES administrator regarding that.

.175 seems to be a tweak to some of the more bothersome issues that are found on .131. Like when you hang up and have the lag getting to use data, or the 'chasing a post box' when trying to click a submission.

I have noticed a slight improvement in battery life, but not a lot.

10-25-09 08:48 PM
    Lol at 'chasing the reply box'.
    I'd never seen anyone else mention it, and wondered if it was just me! Hahahahaha

10-25-09 09:23 PM
    Lol at 'chasing the reply box'.
    I'd never seen anyone else mention it, and wondered if it was just me! Hahahahaha

It was a little quirk I've seen mentioned a couple of times shortly after .131 was released. I noticed it and got used to it, then I'm trying to retrain my MMM to not go after a box that's not moving around any more.

Had to explain that when one of our TBL crew upgraded hers for the first time.

10-25-09 10:00 PM
    I have noticed a slight improvement in battery life, but not a lot.

Really because my battery life pretty much sucks now. I used to average a couple of days without a charge now I have to charge everynight if not during the day. I'm thinking of downgrading back.

10-25-09 10:30 PM
    Really because my battery life pretty much sucks now. I used to average a couple of days without a charge now I have to charge everynight if not during the day. I'm thinking of downgrading back.
    The OP has a 8330e which didn't have a signal flux issue like a lot of the 8330m's. This update for the m was intended to correct the signal and I think it achieves that by keeping the radio at a higher power output, but at the cost of a bigger battery drain. I upgraded from the last official OS (.131 I think) and my signal is no longer bouncing around like it did so the upgrade did resolve the flux BUT I too have noticed my battery is draining much quicker. If I had better access to a pc with internet I would probably go with .169 but if its a choice between .175 and .131 then .175 wins. Would rather have to charge my phone more frequently than have a crazy bouncing signal every time I use my phone.
    10-26-09 06:27 AM
    Very good, I have em written down, in my address book, and synced to 3 services. Plus in my media card. I'm not too worried about losing them.

10-26-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD