I was pleasantly surprised today to find that I was able to sue my 8330 as a modem via bluetooth as well as USB, I tried the USB option when I first got my curve, but the sprint smartview software was not availible, but it seems they posted it on 5-21, I downloaded it today, and I am up at Rev 0 speeds, works pretty good, and now I dont need a datacard.
    06-07-08 10:39 AM
    I just added the PAM service, but I cannot figure it out. I've installed the proper Sprint software, but it won't recognize my phone. Do I need some sort of code to activate it? I REALLY don't want to call Sprint's Tech Support...
    06-07-08 10:20 PM
    I just added the PAM service, but I cannot figure it out. I've installed the proper Sprint software, but it won't recognize my phone. Do I need some sort of code to activate it? I REALLY don't want to call Sprint's Tech Support...
    i too am having the same problems with my curve, what os are you using for your computer? i have vista and no luck, i was able to use the pam feature with my 8130 and 8830 but so far no luck with the curve. i have called tech support and they had me uninstall and reinstall the smart view connection manager and the dm, but so far no luck
    06-08-08 01:56 AM
    been getting a few PM's asking about this so I will elaborate:

ok, for the record, I am using the sprint simply everything plan. I have not ordered tethering or PAM. my pc is a new windows vista machine with latest bb desktop software installed.

if you have a sCurve 8330, goto the sprint Basics Guide that came with the phone. page 47 tells you to goto Sprint PCS Software: Sprint PCS Connection Manager Software from Sprint and download the "New Sprint Connection Manager" it is right there on that page, dont use the "choose operating system" dropdown box.

I downloaded that and installed it, rebooted, connected my BB with usb, it took a bit for the connection manager to see it but eventually it did and I just clicked connect. after a few seconds, I had Rev 0 speed.

hint, the connection manager tries to take over control of your wifi, dont let it. and make sure you click back to the left tab that looks for evdo devices.

ok as for bluetooth, since the phone was already paired with the pc, it was a matter of adding a dial up connection.

Here is a good link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/
    Last edited by axxman; 06-08-08 at 01:44 PM. Reason: update
    06-08-08 01:19 PM
    i too am having the same problems with my curve, what os are you using for your computer? i have vista and no luck, i was able to use the pam feature with my 8130 and 8830 but so far no luck with the curve. i have called tech support and they had me uninstall and reinstall the smart view connection manager and the dm, but so far no luck
    I am on vista as well
    did you get this verision of connection manager:

PCS for Business | Customer Support

make sure the "mobile broadband" tab is yellow and not the wifi tab. Additionally, I disconnected my wifi connection first, you dont want to have 2 competing internet connections.
    Last edited by axxman; 06-08-08 at 01:34 PM.
    06-08-08 01:31 PM
    I downloaded the new one, updated version and still have an issue. It does not seem to recognize that the device is connected. I am able to use the DM, but smartview does not work at all. I am using vista business. When connected via usb, I don't get the modem mode enabled on the phone, but when I attempt a connection via BT I do get the modem mode enabled, but it does not establish the connection I get error 718, any other thoughts or ideas

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 06:08 PM
    I'm confused, REV 0 speed? I didn't want to pay $19.99 a month so i got mobishark, yeah it connects....240k (yawn) and is limited to Internet Exploer only. I'm willing to shell out the $19.99 if I get good speed and use of options like outlook and firefox......Sprint really doesn't give me answers, so I depending on you guys to fill in the blanks
    06-21-08 06:54 AM
    axxman, how did you get to enable your Curve as Modem, Sprint states on their website "phone as modem" is not available.

I downloaded the software, and on the left tab it doesn't recognize any modem, however under "my network connections" their is a "3G Connection" but it says "device missing".

I am on Win XP, I didn't select an OS on the drop down menu at Sprints website on the link you provided, I just selected "Sprint Smart View for Windows (XP or Vista)", rebooted and plugged in the phone.

Your help would be much appreciated.
    06-21-08 09:00 PM
    I'm confused, REV 0 speed? I didn't want to pay $19.99 a month so i got mobishark, yeah it connects....240k (yawn) and is limited to Internet Exploer only. I'm willing to shell out the $19.99 if I get good speed and use of options like outlook and firefox......Sprint really doesn't give me answers, so I depending on you guys to fill in the blanks
    Maybe I just got lucky, but the instructions I found at Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ seemed to work for me on my Pearl without MobiShark. It says in those instructions that Sprint users may need MobiShark, but I didn't.
    06-23-08 10:07 AM
    Axxman,

The Sprint TOC (Terms and Conditions) specifically prohibits using the Curve as a PAM (Phone as Modem), so I'm surprised that you were able to tether so easily. Did you receive any calls or warnings from Sprint so far about tethering? I know they'd be able to tell if by your network usage patterns the moment you started using the Curve as a modem for any appreciable length of time.

Also, are you getting EVDO rev. 0 speeds (400-600 kbps) with it at the moment? I wonder if the same results will be obtained if we bypassed the Sprint connection manager and instead used Mobishark?

Paulie
    06-23-08 05:41 PM

Here it is in action. I get around 380-400kbps. I usually just use the bluetooth connection when I am at work and need to connect for just a few minutes to check crackberry. Sorry about the blurry photo, my curve is displaying "Modem mode enabled" and the sprint smartview is displaying connection status. Rev 0.

not sure why I had no trouble. maybe I am just lucky and they forgot to block me, thing is, pg 47 in the owners manual explains how to do it, and never mentioned adding PAM to your subscription. on the site to download the smartview software, they dont really mention it either. I have see quite a few posts of people saying they were told by sprint that it is not even availible. I am not worried, the way I see it, either it is allowed and they are just not advertising it, or it is not allowed and it is a mistake that I have it. If they ever try to charge me I will just cancel service, pay the etf and wait for the bold to be released on another network. I used 400mb last month, mostly downloading OTA programs for my new curve and sprint tv, so far I have used 11mb 3 days into the new billing statement. I think I will be fine, I have a friend that uses his to download podcasts all day long on a windows mobile phone, true this is not tethering but his data usage is very large and he has not had a problem so far. I am not worried about it.

Startdestroyer, I followed those exact same directions to setup my bluetooth connection. works great.
    Last edited by axxman; 06-23-08 at 07:44 PM.
    06-23-08 07:15 PM
    Axxman,

I see that the "using Blackberry as modem" link talks about just configuring a new dial-up connection, whereas you're using the Sprint connection manager to tell the Blackberry to connect to the net. I wonder if this makes any difference in connection speeds and/or in Sprint's ability to tell whether you're tethering your Blackberry or not?

Paulie
    06-23-08 07:56 PM
    Axxman,

Out of curiosity, is your friend with the Windows Mobile phone using a Sprint HTC Mogul?

Paulie
    06-23-08 07:58 PM
    Axxman,

I see that the "using Blackberry as modem" link talks about just configuring a new dial-up connection, whereas you're using the Sprint connection manager to tell the Blackberry to connect to the net. I wonder if this makes any difference in connection speeds and/or in Sprint's ability to tell whether you're tethering your Blackberry or not?

Paulie
    I have 2 ways to connect

1. bluetooth, where I have it set up as a modem "using Blackberry as a modem"
    2. USB I use the connection manager.

I supposed I could set it up without the connection manager but I have good speeds, I also have a Verizon USB data card, it is not much faster than just using my curve via USB, if I didnt need the data card for my job, I could easily get by with just the blackberry.
    To be honest, I dont think sprint has the resources to hunt down customers who tether their phones, Heck, this is not supposed to be possible if you call their customer service. They cannot even enable mms on blackberries, so really, I am not worried about the data police, worst case, I will cancel, pay the etf and get a bold on tmobile or att, and ebay my curve.

my friend is using an HTC Touch
    Last edited by axxman; 06-23-08 at 08:10 PM. Reason: update
    06-23-08 08:06 PM
    Axxman,

You're 100% correct in stating that Sprint does not want you tethering your Blackberry Curve! People here at Crackberry seem to have found a loophole, and I just hope they never close it off by doing some kind of firmware/software upgrade on the phone that blocks this functionality.

I actually also have a Sprint U727 USB with Rev. A, and with optimal signal strength on a good day I can get between 1200-1300kbps. I know Sprint underpromises a little and claims an avg. of 600-800 kbps for Rev. A and 400-600 kbps. Going by those figures, one could extrapolate a top downstream of maybe close to 1000 kbps for the Blackberry, given that it only does Rev. 0? Have you gotten anywhere close to that before?

What about latency? Some people seem to indicate that latency is far worse on a EVDO cellphone (like a Curve) that is being tethered, vs. a dedicated EVDO modem?

Paulie
    06-23-08 08:18 PM
    just tested using the utility in the smartview program

I had 20% signal strength indicated on the smartview program.

atlanta server
    192ms latency
    download 66kb
    upload 84kb

chicago server
    latency 166ms
    download 185kb
    upload 109kb

Ft Worth TX
    latency 168ms
    download 238kb
    upload 59kb

Atlanta again
    latency 194ms
    download 185kb
    upload 30kb

I know a couple weeks ago I tested it and recieved 380-400kb it was the day I started this thread. oh well, what matters to me is that when I use it. pages load reasonably good. My data card is much faster, but for personal use, the bb would be fine for me.
    this post is made using the modem connection, now I am going back over to my wifi.
    06-23-08 08:34 PM
    Axxman,

Thanks for the stats showing the latencies and download speeds! Given the fact that you were only getting 20% signal strength, your download speeds are not too bad actually. Using my U727, I can only exceed 1000 kbps if I have at least 4 bars (80% strength, at least -78 db or better), and with 3 bars I am down drastically to maybe 300-400 kbps.

The reason I'm asking all these detailed questions is because I'm just itching to get rid of my Sprint broadband (with the 5gb cap I really don't see the point in paying an additional $60 per month to Sprint.) I'll just prudently use the EVDO on my Blackberry and rely on wifi and wired connections for the really big downloads - no sense in paying for 2 EVDO connections when I can get by with just one, right?

Paulie
    06-23-08 08:59 PM
    The only reason I have a separate data card is for work, and my work pays for it. I find the speed acceptable if it was just for private use. when I am at home, I am on my wifi, so I only need it on occation when I travel.
    06-23-08 09:06 PM
    I have found my Sprint usb datacard to be very handy, especially when I'm stuck in coffeeshops that only have paid wifi (starbucks, borders.) I get a reliable and fairly fast connection that I can depend on, and that is why I've kept my Sprint broadband.

With the advent of the 5gb cap, I find it to be very limiting and such a hassle to monitor my data used on a constant basis. I was willing to put up with paying $60 a month for unlimited broadband because it truly came in handy for me at various public spots that I frequent that either have non-existent or *extremely* slow wifi (believe me, I've come across quite a few places offering free wifi that could barely even compete with your Blackberry speeds at 20% signal strength!)

With the cap in place and Blackberry tethering revealing itself to be a tempting alternative for me when I'm in public places and stuck without wifi, I think my mind is just about made up! I don't have much time to cancel my Sprint broadband ETF free, so I'm trying to gather as much information as I can right now. So based on your experience, the fastest downstream speed you've had on your Blackberry curve has been around 400kbps (which is decent) - do you remember what kind of signal strength you had back then when you tested it?

Paulie
    06-23-08 09:15 PM
    Yes I havent gotten better than 400kb. I would cancel etf free if possible. and you can always buy another datacard later if the bb proves too slow.
    06-23-08 09:18 PM
    I think you're right about canceling ETF free. I have a pretty new U727 (replaced my old U720 earlier this year in February), and I can just reactivate it at some time in the future if I feel like I truly need it.

I know EVDO downstream speeds are highly dependent on signal strength, and if you were not able to get at least 4-5 bars while speed testing your Blackberry your speeds would have been drastically reduced. I remember testing an old Sierra Wireless PCMCIA EVDO Sprint datacard at work sometime circa 2006 (this was Rev. 0), and it was consistently pulling in 600+ kbps with full signal strength (5 bars), and I was fairly satisfied with its speed. I'm sure the Blackberry Curve can't be that far off...

Paulie
    06-23-08 09:26 PM
    I was told by the Sprint rep (call center, not in store) that the BES plan included using phone as a modem. I was actually inquiring about what it didn't have that the BIS plan for 10/mo less does (unlimited text, sprint navigation) and just happened to mention something about it probably not having phone as a modem either and he said it did. My first bill since I used the BlackBerry as a modem (only used it for a couple days) is due out any day... I guess we'll see if they charge me more .
    06-24-08 07:37 AM
    well I have my bill after I started using it, no mention of PAM. To be honest, I have had to call sprints customer service a half dozen times over the past few months. they are nice people but every time they I have called they have "computer problems", if you ask the same question to 3 different reps, you get 3 different answers, the company is having a tough time, and it shows. hopefully they can turn it around, they seem to be headed in the right direction.
    06-24-08 08:53 PM
    well im using vista, and im on a 30 sero plan with bb add on. This method works fine, and looks like im at 1161 Kb/s d/l and 95Kb/s u/l with latency of 141m/s. I guess when my next bill prints we'll see if im getting billed for it, but im not going to use it that much during the meantime just to be safe
    06-26-08 09:45 AM
    Axxman,

You're 100% correct in stating that Sprint does not want you tethering your Blackberry Curve! People here at Crackberry seem to have found a loophole, and I just hope they never close it off by doing some kind of firmware/software upgrade on the phone that blocks this functionality.

Paulie
    Paulie,
    I see you too have a Curve and on Sprint, about this loophole you mention, man I need to get my curve to connect via USB or Bluetooth, having a hard time with both with no success....any chance you could message me? here's my pin 31A478E5, I would appreciate it "very much" if you could maybe walk me through this, am on the road alot and need to be able to use my laptop.

By the way I am on Win XP....hope to hear from you, thanks.
    06-27-08 07:18 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD