So here's a good one .. not sure if anyone has been through this, yet!

Issue:

I have a BB Curve 8330.
    I have a Free & Clear plan with the no-charge BIS/BES/PAM pack. Note: I use the BES, not the PAM.
    My daughter spilled a half gallon of milk on my device (kids can be lovely).
    I have Total Equipment Protection (TEP).
    Asurion (the TEP insurance provider) will replace the 8330 for the $100 deductible.
    They no longer have 8330's in stock, therefore they'd replace it with the 8530.

This is great .. but I know the 8530 requires an Everything Data (ED) or Sprint/Separating Employee Referral Offer (SERO) $10 buy-up. Neither of which I have. And I can't add the SERO $10 buy-up as I'm not on a SERO plan. And regardless, it doesn't include BES.

I can't see Sprint requiring me to change my plan because my 8330 is being replaced under TEP with the 8530? Right? Any idea how (or if) they could resolve this? Or is it better for me to just go to eBay and buy another 8330?
    Last edited by kesco; 01-31-10 at 08:28 AM.
    01-30-10 04:21 PM
    Be aware I just tried claiming TEP insurance a few days ago and they would not replace my 8330 with an 8530. Although it is what you think they would do, they won't. They are going to try and give you a red 8230 for the $100 deductible. I had the same exact problem where my 8830 had liquid damage. If I were you I'd just cancel your TEP plan and pick up an 8530 on ebay. I've seen them for $250ish.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 08:33 PM

Issue:

I have a BB Curve 8330.
    I have a F&C plan with the no-charge BIS/BES/PAM pack. Note: I use the BES, not the PAM.
    I have TEP.
    Asurion will replace the 8330 for the $100 deductible.

This is great .. but I know the 8530 requires an ED or SERO $10 buy-up. Neither of which I have. And I can't add the SERO $10 buy-up as I'm not on a SERO plan. And regardless, it doesn't include BES.

I can't see Sprint requiring me to change my plan because my 8330 is being replaced under TEP with the 8530? Right? Any idea how (or if) they could resolve this? Or is it better for me to just go to eBay and buy another 8330?
    If I were you I would take the 8530 through TEP, buy a used 8330, then sell the 8530 for a profit.
    01-30-10 09:25 PM
    Why not keep the 8530. The only thing the 8330 has on the new curve is a camera flash

01-30-10 11:30 PM
    Why not keep the 8530. The only thing the 8330 has on the new curve is a camera flash

Did you read the thread before posting this?
    01-30-10 11:40 PM
    That's great! I hope that happens with the tour!

01-30-10 11:51 PM
    Did you read the thread before posting this?
    Yes I did but the sero,tep,sprint thing sounded so confusing. I tried to decypher it. Lol

01-31-10 12:58 AM
    lol - ya i guess if you don't speak Sprint with terms like FF, ED, SERO, FC, etc it can be confusing
    01-31-10 01:31 AM
    lol - ya i guess if you don't speak Sprint with terms like FF, ED, SERO, FC, etc it can be confusing
    I edited my original posting and expanded all of the acronyms
    01-31-10 08:28 AM
    Be aware I just tried claiming TEP insurance a few days ago and they would not replace my 8330 with an 8530. Although it is what you think they would do, they won't. They are going to try and give you a red 8230 for the $100 deductible. I had the same exact problem where my 8830 had liquid damage. If I were you I'd just cancel your TEP plan and pick up an 8530 on ebay. I've seen them for $250ish.

Thanks, zombie187. So here's what I just got as an invoice from Asurion -

Replacement Model:

Blackberry 8530 Black new fully kitted CK

So I'd assume unless someone packs the wrong device into the box I'll be getting the 8530.

I can hardly wait to deal with Sprint on this situation. Filing a claim via Asurion, paying a non-refundable deductible on a non-refundable phone, then not being able to activate it.

My final option would be to use my two-year upgrade on a std. Tour then just selling the new 8530 on eBay. Am sure that'd end up being profitable, but frankly I'd hate to do that ..
    01-31-10 08:31 AM
    So I have a question, if a curve 8330 was to be replaced right now, would you get another 8330 or 8530?
    01-31-10 09:06 AM
    Depends what they have in stock. If Asurion has 8330 in stock then more likely will get another refurb 8330.
    01-31-10 09:13 AM
    Well good luck, and ttey to get the 8530 on your acct. Its a great phone.

01-31-10 09:14 AM
    So I have a question, if a curve 8330 was to be replaced right now, would you get another 8330 or 8530?
    So I filed the claim yesterday, and the website (phoneclaims.com/sprint) immediately said they had no 8330's in stock therefore I'd be getting an 8530. I then got the invoice confirming I'd be getting the 8530.
    01-31-10 09:43 AM
    So I filed the claim yesterday, and the website (phoneclaims.com/sprint) immediately said they had no 8330's in stock therefore I'd be getting an 8530. I then got the invoice confirming I'd be getting the 8530.
    I wish that happened to me then I would have been able to save my upgrade. Not saying I'm mad I used it on this phone, but its always nice to be able to have a choice.

01-31-10 10:14 AM
    I change my phones often via the web interface. Since all the services you have now will function on your new phone, I do not see why Sprint would require you to change plans. You have BB functionality, and all that should need to be changed is your ESID (MEID) and PIN.
    Not saying they may not try and change your plan, but I don't see why.
    I have a coworker who just 4 months ago went from a everything blackberry plan to a phone with unlimted text/web and PAM. It cost him a lot more, but he still did it. Until I explained tether to him.
    01-31-10 10:51 AM
    Sprint only requires that you get the Simply Everything plan if you're a new customer or you're adding a new line of service. I just upgraded to my 8530 and I have and Everything Plus plan and they didn't require me to switch
    01-31-10 11:10 AM
    Starting with the 8530 and any new blackberry device that comes out will require a Everything data type plan. I tried to get a 8530 activated on my legacy F&C1000 plan with free bis/bes/pam add on but no go. Was transfered to a few different different departments trying to get it on the legacy plan, blackberry support, advance support but the system will not let them.
    01-31-10 12:50 PM
    It was my impression that sprint is trying to get all of its customers on some version of an everything plan. To simplify the way things run over at sprint. I would see if they will upgrade you to a tour or tour 2 if you agree to an everything data plan. Thats what i have and i love it. I have three bb,s on that plan and rarely pay over 180 monthly.
    01-31-10 02:55 PM
    It was my impression that sprint is trying to get all of its customers on some version of an everything plan. To simplify the way things run over at sprint. I would see if they will upgrade you to a tour or tour 2 if you agree to an everything data plan. Thats what i have and i love it. I have three bb,s on that plan and rarely pay over 180 monthly.
    Yeah, so frankly my issue is that I don't want a plan change .. I also don't even *need* (but of course would like) the 8530. I've also been paying $5-7/mo since 1997 for the insurance, which I've never used.

It's simply that that's all their insurance company has in stock. Yes, I could probably have bought the 8330 on eBay for under $100 .. but I already paid the non-refundable, non-negotiable deductible. Ah well. Guess we'll see what happens here.

I shouldn't have to change my plan because I'm using the insurance I've been paying for, for 13 years. Such ajeda over a container of milk
    Last edited by kesco; 01-31-10 at 03:04 PM.
    01-31-10 03:01 PM
    When you file a claim for a lost or damaged phone, does it extend your contract?

01-31-10 06:58 PM
    When you file a claim for a lost or damaged phone, does it extend your contract?

No, it does not.
    01-31-10 07:38 PM
    Starting with the 8530 and any new blackberry device that comes out will require a Everything data type plan. I tried to get a 8530 activated on my legacy F&C1000 plan with free bis/bes/pam add on but no go. Was transfered to a few different different departments trying to get it on the legacy plan, blackberry support, advance support but the system will not let them.
    that blows anyone else with the free bis add and was able to upgrade?
    01-31-10 07:56 PM
    So I could lose my 8330 and get a 8530, then in july when my yearly premier deal is up get a tour2? Not that I would or will but its possible.

01-31-10 08:09 PM

Issue:

I have a BB Curve 8330.
    I have a Free & Clear plan with the no-charge BIS/BES/PAM pack. Note: I use the BES, not the PAM.
    I have Total Equipment Protection (TEP).
    Asurion (the TEP insurance provider) will replace the 8330 for the $100 deductible.

This is great .. but I know the 8530 requires an Everything Data (ED) or Sprint/Separating Employee Referral Offer (SERO) $10 buy-up. Neither of which I have. And I can't add the SERO $10 buy-up as I'm not on a SERO plan. And regardless, it doesn't include BES.

What are you paying for this old plan? I can tell you right now that you wont get that 8530 activated on that plan, there's no way around it in the system. Are you paying less for your old plan than you would w/a new ED450 at $69.99? It's not a bad deal. You don't get PAM on it, but if you're not using it then I don't see what the big deal is. Do you use enterprise for work? That would be a $20 buyup...but I bet for your hassles of having to switch your plan something could be done about that.

Me personally I'd take the 8530 even if I had to change my plan. You're basically getting an upgrade...Only crap deal is the 8530 is $49 after MIR had you have done a HUP (handset upgrade) as opposed to a claim.

Wow, didn't know we were out and replacing 8330's with 8530's, can't wait to deal w/all the p*ssed off people that are forced into a plan change because of this...
    01-31-10 10:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD