After seeing someone ask for an explanation on the differences between each wireless coverage indicator, and a search that came up with no results, I copied this guide straight from the Blackberry Reference Guide that comes in the box with a new phone. (I apologize if there was a thread on this already and I just wasn't finding it.) I never knew the difference either, just that when I was on edge, I couldn't browse the web or use BBM. Now after reading this over I understand why. Hopefully this will help someone else out as well.

3G + BlackBerry Symbol: You can send and receive email messages, PIN messages, text messages, and picture messages. You can use the phone and send and receive email messages or use the browser with a high-speed data connection simultaneously.

3G: You can use the phone and send and receive text messages.

3g: You can use the phone send and receive text messages.

EDGE: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages, SMS text messages, and MMS messages, and use the browser with a high-speed data connection.

GPRS: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages, SMS test messages and MMS messages, and use the browser.

edge, GSM, or gprs: You can use the phone and send and receive SMS text messages and MMS messages

SOS: You can only make emergency calls.

OFF: Your connection to the wireless network is turned off

X: You are not in a wireless coverage area

UMA: You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages, SMS text messages, and MMS messages, and use the browser using UMA instead of a mobile network connection.

uma: You can use the phone and send and receive SMS text messages and MMS messages using UMA instead of a mobile network connection.

Wi-Fi Symbol + Wi-Fi network name: You can send and receive email messages and use the browser over a Wi-Fi connection.

Faded Wi-Fi Symbol + Wi-Fi network name: Your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network but is not using UMA or does not have access to Blackberry services over the Wi-Fi connection.

Faded Wi-Fi Symbol: Your connection to a Wi-Fi network is turned on, but you are not in a Wi-Fi coverage area.
    Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 05-04-11 at 12:35 AM. Reason: updated :)
    06-26-09 08:35 AM
    Thanks for this!
    06-26-09 09:11 AM
    Great info, thanks!
    12-08-09 07:49 AM
    Thanks, this covers up what I was looking for
    12-08-09 01:54 PM
    Thanks This should be a sticky .
    03-22-10 10:02 AM
    Looks good! Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 11:48 AM
    Yup, this should be a sticky, one of the best (if not the best) postings I've seen on this TMO forum.
    03-23-10 05:19 AM
    thanks this should be a sticky .
    indeed
    05-21-10 08:55 PM
    Good info..thanks!
    05-22-10 11:09 AM
    Thanks Kasi! Great info.
    05-22-10 12:37 PM
    need to update this with 3G
    05-25-10 11:20 PM
    need to update this with 3G
    I know I'm way late, but you are correct and I have updated this to include what each 3G symbol stands for.
    05-04-11 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD