If so, what are your experiences? Is using your Bold on T-Mo a good experience? I understand 3G wouldnt work for me but honestly - AT&T's 3G is what the problem is - and AT&T not allowing us to turn off 3G and use Edge.
    06-15-09 11:39 AM
    My friend has an unlocked Bold on TMO and he hasn't experienced any problems with it at all. I'm the one that handles the majority of the technical problems amongst my friends with BB's and he has not once came to me about any issues! Just normal upgrading type stuff.

Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 11:45 AM
    Definitely helps..thank you
    06-15-09 11:47 AM
    Tmobile should be by definition be only as good or worse than att since T mobile utilizes (buys space) off ATT network. Therefore, it cannot possibly be any better than att when using their own network...
    06-15-09 11:53 AM
    True...but a Bold would be forced to use Edge on T-Mo.. ATT's problem is - we're forced to stay on 3G.. a network that cant handle the congestion.
    06-15-09 12:08 PM
    my boy came over to tmo from ATT with his bold....tmo pda support unlocked and set up his phone for him over the phone. he said he prefers his phone now on tmo
    06-15-09 01:12 PM
    I have an Unlocked 9000 that I use as my primary phone on T-Mobile.

Personally, The Bold works just fine on T-Mobile, as long as your capable of understanding the differences, and able to do a little work to have everything working.

If you were to port your bold onto T-Mobile, you'd have to unlock it, via code you could get from either T-Mobile, or from AT&T (if you asked nicely I suppose.) and then you'd need to change a few things like your APN settings, these are all things that can be done in the standard BlackBerry menus, and only require the ability to understand directions.

T-Mobiles' PDA and BlackBerry support team(s) should have no issue guiding you through any of this, I was able to get the help I needed during my switch to getting my Bold working. The BlackBerry support team is very capable of supporting you through things, and if they're unable to resolve your issue, they have no issue with transferring you to RIMs' own customer support team.

It is true that you would be stuck on EDGE, but in my experience, my bold is seemingly able to download at a slightly faster speed then my 8900 was, I'm not sure if this is because of a difference in the radio's contained in each device, or simply a matter of the materials they're manufactured from, allowing the bold to get a better data signal then the 8900.

It is the case that you won't be able to take full advantage of myFaves, because I'm unaware of a way to get the "myFaves Display" to show on a non T-Mobile supported device, I personally don't find this an issue, as I felt that the myFaves app just got in my way and slowed things down.

You also may have an issue using UMA, and you may not be able to use UMA (HotSpot @Home) at all. I've never used UMA on any device, not even my 8900, so I can't speak about this.

I think that you should have no issue getting your Bold working on T-Mobile, with only a slight bit of work on your side.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me, or anyone else.
    06-15-09 05:45 PM
    Tmobile should be by definition be only as good or worse than att since T mobile utilizes (buys space) off ATT network. Therefore, it cannot possibly be any better than att when using their own network...
    That's nonsense.

T-Mobile and AT&T used to share the same network in California but AT&T had to divest themselves of that network in California under the FCC's direction in order for their merger with Cingular and AT&T Wireless.

AT&T has been a tenant or a renter on T-Mobile's network since then. To be fair AT&T have been building out their own network in the last few years but to say the service will be identical is just untrue. I have T-Mobile and my best friend has AT&T and we live a mile apart. There is no comparison between the service I have and the dropped calls and poor service he has. He's already told me he's coming over to T-Mobile as soon as his AT&T contract ends.
    06-15-09 07:39 PM
    You also may have an issue using UMA, and you may not be able to use UMA (HotSpot @Home) at all. I've never used UMA on any device, not even my 8900, so I can't speak about this.
    I wouldn't swear on my life, but I don't believe the Bold will be able to use T-Mobile's UMA network. Starting out life as an AT&T device, there was no reason to enable UMA because AT&T doesn't offer it, so there was no reason to engineer the phone with that capability.

Personally I think UMA is the hottest thing to come along in cell technology since the first cell tower. Imagine not being able to get a signal in your house because you live in an area with coverage problems. Plug in a router and WHAM you have cell coverage.

I use UMA everywhere. Home, office, roaming. I was cool with T-Mobile before UMA but after they rolled it out, I couldn't imagine using any other carrier. I'd dump the Bold just for that reason but that's me.
    06-15-09 07:46 PM
    The UMA feature does rock. I use my BB for business and I need a reliable signal. I have saved so many hotspot profiles in my area (Boulder) and every time I even get near it that sucker just pops right onto wifi. Not that I really need it as I have great coverage, but what a bonus.

Many of my business contacts use AT&T and they are often dropping their calls. Of course YMMV depending on the specific location (city and state), but I sometimes have to tell people to call me when they aren't on the move and have a decent signal.

I'm not trying to bash AT&T as it may work for many folks, but T-Mobile just works for me. Time is money and I can't afford to fuss with dropped calls and inconvenience. The one bummer about these cell companies is that they all come out with different phones (BB's) at various times and I can understand for a split second wanting to jump ship to get the latest, but then I look over at someone trying to use their latest (not always, but sometimes), and saying "are you there, can you hear me?"

The cool factor dies after that. But again, do what works for you.
    06-17-09 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD