...what are the odds we will see a touch screen BB, or something similar on Tmobile? What are the odds we will see such a device between now and the end of Q2 in 2011??

If there is nothing on the horizon I will end up going with the 9780 or the G2 once I can compare them directly but it would be nice to know my ideal phone isnt slated for a release a couple months after I drop $150-200 on a phone. Some rumors have been floating that Tmo will have a Torch-like device within 3-4 months after there is some time to see what bugs/complaints the Torch brings from users.
    Leaving my biases out of it, I haven't heard any information on whether we will get anything similar to the Torch. 90% of cell phone rumors mean nothing, especially when they are speculation about which carrier will get a popular device. (See also: iPhone)

What features are you looking for, and what's holding you back frokm the G2/Vibrant/MyTouch HD?
    10-29-10 02:49 AM
    Is this something I should be concerned about? When I'm talking on the phone, it will jump from full bar 3G to EDGE to 3-4 bars GPRS and then the phone will have no sound. I would have to hang up and call that person back, after this, I see that the signal is now 3G again. Is there some wrong with the software or is it the hardware?
    Unfortunately, that's the 9700. I've heard many stories like this, both from TMO and AT&T users. The 9700 often doesn't do 3G well. Armando on here has been having the same issues with his 9700, and he's just one example.
    10-29-10 02:50 AM
    I've been having problems with my 9700 when making phone calls. Its as if I'm plugging and unplugging a pair of headphones. I've had this problem before and T-Mobile sent me another 9700 since I have insurance. If I stick it out until the 9780 comes out will I be able to get it without having to pay any difference?
    Had that issue on a couple 9700s. Sometimes plugging and unplugging headphones fixes it. I think something's tweaked on the sensor. To answer your question about the 9780, no. Manufacturer's warranty covers same device, unless it is not available.
    10-29-10 02:53 AM
    I got a question. So i have an unlocked storm and have insurance on it. They sent me a letter saying that warranty insurance wouldn't cover my phone. So does this mean that i can get a new one by paying the deductible because my power key doesnt work anymore and my berries button goes in and out and so does the escape button. So i was wondering if i was able to send it in or something. Its on tmobile and we have had insurance on it for a while.
    10-29-10 10:53 AM
    Leaving my biases out of it, I haven't heard any information on whether we will get anything similar to the Torch. 90% of cell phone rumors mean nothing, especially when they are speculation about which carrier will get a popular device. (See also: iPhone)

What features are you looking for, and what's holding you back frokm the G2/Vibrant/MyTouch HD?
    Thanks for the reply. I actually stopped by Costco (next to my work) tonight and played with the G2 and pretty much decided it is my next phone.

I am curious as the Costco desk is selling the G2 with upgrade for $99 including a case (sleeve?), bluetooth headset and a car charger... I am thinking of going this route as through Tmobile it is $199 for the upgrade and gives me no other items (mainly I care about the charger as I would be buying one anyway). If I run into problems with the phone can I work this out with Tmobile or is it limited to the place of purchase?
    10-29-10 09:53 PM
    I think Windows Mobile is an excellent OS in many ways. I think 6.5 is definitely the best version yet as well.

With that said, the implementation on the HD2 was definitely subpar though. Szotz is absolutely correct with what he/she mentioned. There were all sorts of little annoyances on the HD2. The lock screen would occasionally freeze, preventing you from unlocking the phone. The phone would "forget" the security code you set, requiring a hard reset. If you tried to access the default music tab on the main screen, the phone would try and re-index your songs every time. If you have a decent amount of music, this can take between 10 seconds and 2-3 minutes. The terrible part is that 6.5 didn't have those problems on the Touch Pro or Dash 3G. The HD2 is the most returned phone I've seen in a very long time.

I agree wholeheartedly that WinMo is far superior to Android in terms or organizer functions. Unfortunately, the newer versions of WinMo require the user to be very diligent with the closing of programs and memory management, in order to prevent slowdown and crashing. It's also lacking in browser power compared to Android, although it's still better than the BB browser. I truly hope that WP7 is as revolutionary as it's supposed to be, because I believe it's Microsoft's last chance in the phone world. To call the BB internet browser underwhelming is an understatement for me. I think the browser is an absolute joke compared to ANY other smartphone. The OS6 browser is just now making the internet usable.

Thanks for your help here. I am up for a new phone soon and am torn between Windows and Android. (I like BB but the internet lacks and I miss the larger screens) I've had them both, but older versions 5.0 and 1.6 respectively and I know they both have come a long way. I think I would prefer Windows being Zune-like, and I have a Zune but the deal-breaker may come down to the keyboard.

Windows going to s/w and the android a physical but only a 4 row vs the G1's 5 row. Its going to be tough.

I have a few months to wait so both will have been out a early problems solved (hopefully) but we will see.
    10-29-10 10:16 PM
    Unfortunately, that's the 9700. I've heard many stories like this, both from TMO and AT&T users. The 9700 often doesn't do 3G well. Armando on here has been having the same issues with his 9700, and he's just one example.
    That's not great news at all, this happens to me everyday and it would be so bad that I wouldn't be able to hear the other person although the other person hears me, and I would have to hang up and call them back. What should I do? Ask for another one and hope it's better? But you did say that 9700 don't handle 3G well..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 10:46 PM
    I got a question. So i have an unlocked storm and have insurance on it. They sent me a letter saying that warranty insurance wouldn't cover my phone. So does this mean that i can get a new one by paying the deductible because my power key doesnt work anymore and my berries button goes in and out and so does the escape button. So i was wondering if i was able to send it in or something. Its on tmobile and we have had insurance on it for a while.
    I think I'm misunderstanding your question. At least, I hope I am.

You got a letter saying your phone isn't covered by insurance, and you're asking if you can make an insurance claim on it?
    10-30-10 02:25 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I actually stopped by Costco (next to my work) tonight and played with the G2 and pretty much decided it is my next phone.

I am curious as the Costco desk is selling the G2 with upgrade for $99 including a case (sleeve?), bluetooth headset and a car charger... I am thinking of going this route as through Tmobile it is $199 for the upgrade and gives me no other items (mainly I care about the charger as I would be buying one anyway). If I run into problems with the phone can I work this out with Tmobile or is it limited to the place of purchase?
    I mean no disrespect, but I want you to realize that you're asking a TMO corporate employee if you should buy the phone at a third party dealer rather than from a corporate location.

Buy it from a corporate store. That way you have a salesman you can build a relationship with, which will aid you if you have any troubles. We offer 20% off accessories. You may also be able to add part of it to your bill.

Some people may fight me on this, but I've sold phones for a very long time, including a stint with the company that owns the Costco kiosks, and third party chargers are often bad news.
    10-30-10 02:32 PM
    i have three questions my 1st is how much will the even more plus be with a blackberry i brought my blackberry yesterday and i want to activate it on the even more plus plan i understand its $59.99 but how much will the whole thing be including tax. My next question is will i be charged for anything else for this even more plus plan since i have a blackberry ,because plans with blackberries are usually more expensive. my last question is will i be able to go on a contract if i sign on the even more plus plan , i heard if i go on tat from a contract that you are no longer eligible for a contract but im not on a contract , i was on the prepaid sidekick data plan so would that policy apply to me since i was never officially on a contract?
    10-31-10 04:10 PM
    I did put that kind of confusing like. I got a letter saying that I am using a phone not sold by tmobile so i should take the warranty insurance off of my plan and just keep the regualr insurance. I think it went from like 5.99 to 3 or 4.99. I still have regular insurance on the phone and i dropped it into a puddle. It works and everything, but the buttons go in and out sometimes (not working) and so does the screen. So i was wondering if I would be able to file a claim and would they send me a new storm or a different phone. Im not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to figure out how insurance works on unlocked phones because the letter said it was still covered, just not warranty covered. Does that make sense?

QUOTE=NorrisCell;5724002]I think I'm misunderstanding your question. At least, I hope I am.

You got a letter saying your phone isn't covered by insurance, and you're asking if you can make an insurance claim on it?[/QUOTE]
    10-31-10 05:25 PM
    I wanted to take a moment a let you know that I am new to T-Mobile and couldn't be happier! I have been a wireless customer for many years now and have been with VZW, AT&T, Sprint and now T-Mobile. Over the years I have seen the good and bad from them all but so far there has been no bad with TMO. I activated three lines of service on a family plan w/data and I activated a Bold 9700 where as my wife and son both got the Vibrant (which by the way is a truely exceptional device. Almost makes me want to get one for myself!) I went to a corporate store and the representative that dealt with me was a true pro and I don't think I would have received that level of service from an agent. T-Mobile doesn't get the recognition in my area that the other three get and I really don't know why. Maybe TMO believes in putting their resources into the network instead of constant advertising. I looked hard at TMO becasue I wa out of contract with AT&T and almost resigned because of the Torch but I had enough of the lousy, rude CSR's each and every time I called in. So far we all get fanatastic signal, much faster download speeds, and the UMA feature for WiFi calling is really something since we use our mobile phones all the time (no landline). In close I just wanted to do something that hardly ever get's done to someone in sales and that is to say thank you for the great service,equipment and network. The other three could learn a thing or two from T-Mobile!
    10-31-10 11:48 PM
    Norris,

I have my one year upgrade pricing kicking in on Nov 13th. I figured the 9700 would still be available, but inexpensive due to the 9780 coming out. When I chatted with a rep today she could not find a 9700 listed to give me a price on. Any light you could shed on this? Will there be any way to obtain a 9700 through TMO?
    11-01-10 02:37 PM
    So today my 5 month old 9700 bit it. Strange problem too - when making or receiving a call, the sound completely shuts off about once a second. The caller on the other end is only able to hear sound from me during that same period, so all they get are single syllable sounds. Also, the tone that sounds when you plug it in to charge and then remove the charging cable sounds all the time regardless of whether or not it's even plugged in.

And no - it hasn't been dropped, water damaged, microwaved, or subjected to any sort of alien/government mind control rays.

Now I've been a TMob customer for almost a decade. In fact, even before they were TMob and still branded VoiceStream. Now when we bought our phones, we were told very plainly that they had a one year warranty. However, tonight after an HOUR on the phone with a surprisingly unwilling-to-help representative, they're shipping me a new phone. "Expidited", which for TMob means three to four days. And the best part of al - they're blessing me with a $20 charge on my next bill to replace their own defective product!

I don't generally get annoyed by the little things - but after three Pearl 8100 with defective innards over the past two years, and now my "flagship" 9700 crapping out as well, I'm seriously beginning to doubt both RIM's ability to build a quality device, as well as TMob's ability to deliver even the simplest in true customer service.

What say you TMob rep - is this the new direction of the company? Sadly, I'm left with a very sour taste.

Brian~
    11-01-10 09:53 PM
    So today my 5 month old 9700 bit it. Strange problem too - when making or receiving a call, the sound completely shuts off about once a second. The caller on the other end is only able to hear sound from me during that same period, so all they get are single syllable sounds. Also, the tone that sounds when you plug it in to charge and then remove the charging cable sounds all the time regardless of whether or not it's even plugged in.

And no - it hasn't been dropped, water damaged, microwaved, or subjected to any sort of alien/government mind control rays.

Now I've been a TMob customer for almost a decade. In fact, even before they were TMob and still branded VoiceStream. Now when we bought our phones, we were told very plainly that they had a one year warranty. However, tonight after an HOUR on the phone with a surprisingly unwilling-to-help representative, they're shipping me a new phone. "Expidited", which for TMob means three to four days. And the best part of al - they're blessing me with a $20 charge on my next bill to replace their own defective product!

I don't generally get annoyed by the little things - but after three Pearl 8100 with defective innards over the past two years, and now my "flagship" 9700 crapping out as well, I'm seriously beginning to doubt both RIM's ability to build a quality device, as well as TMob's ability to deliver even the simplest in true customer service.

What say you TMob rep - is this the new direction of the company? Sadly, I'm left with a very sour taste.

Brian~
    When I never had inusrrance/extended warranty, they always charged for shipping. I pay $12 for usps the 7-day ship- since I live in hawaii, it comes in about 5days.

11-01-10 09:58 PM
    I did put that kind of confusing like. I got a letter saying that I am using a phone not sold by tmobile so i should take the warranty insurance off of my plan and just keep the regualr insurance. I think it went from like 5.99 to 3 or 4.99. I still have regular insurance on the phone and i dropped it into a puddle. It works and everything, but the buttons go in and out sometimes (not working) and so does the screen. So i was wondering if I would be able to file a claim and would they send me a new storm or a different phone. Im not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to figure out how insurance works on unlocked phones because the letter said it was still covered, just not warranty covered. Does that make sense?
    That makes perfect sense. If they said you're covered, I would call Asurion and see what their policy is. I'm honestly not sure what they do in that situation
    11-02-10 12:04 AM
    I wanted to take a moment a let you know that I am new to T-Mobile and couldn't be happier! I have been a wireless customer for many years now and have been with VZW, AT&T, Sprint and now T-Mobile. Over the years I have seen the good and bad from them all but so far there has been no bad with TMO. I activated three lines of service on a family plan w/data and I activated a Bold 9700 where as my wife and son both got the Vibrant (which by the way is a truely exceptional device. Almost makes me want to get one for myself!) I went to a corporate store and the representative that dealt with me was a true pro and I don't think I would have received that level of service from an agent. T-Mobile doesn't get the recognition in my area that the other three get and I really don't know why. Maybe TMO believes in putting their resources into the network instead of constant advertising. I looked hard at TMO becasue I wa out of contract with AT&T and almost resigned because of the Torch but I had enough of the lousy, rude CSR's each and every time I called in. So far we all get fanatastic signal, much faster download speeds, and the UMA feature for WiFi calling is really something since we use our mobile phones all the time (no landline). In close I just wanted to do something that hardly ever get's done to someone in sales and that is to say thank you for the great service,equipment and network. The other three could learn a thing or two from T-Mobile!
    Glad to hear it. We get a lot of negative on all the carrier forums, so it's nice to hear the other side of things
    11-02-10 12:06 AM
    Norris,

I have my one year upgrade pricing kicking in on Nov 13th. I figured the 9700 would still be available, but inexpensive due to the 9780 coming out. When I chatted with a rep today she could not find a 9700 listed to give me a price on. Any light you could shed on this? Will there be any way to obtain a 9700 through TMO?
    Sent you a PM
    11-02-10 12:09 AM

Brian,

There are several things to address here. First of all, the problem you're having with your 9700 is something that many 9700 owners have run into, across the carriers. Same with the clicking headphone port. The 9700 has had more problems that I would like.

Second, all the carriers charge shipping, unless you have insurance. TMO has charged for shipping on warranty exchanges for quite some time now (~2+ years). Way back when, the carriers didn't handle warranty exchanges. You sent the phone to the manufacturer, they fixed it, they sent it back. You still paid to ship the phone to them, and it took much longer. The carriers started processing exchanges as a courtesy, but they would lose a ton of money paying shipping all the time.

I've said this in other threads, and I'll repeat it here. Do not blame the carrier. Blame RIM for poor quality control. Customer service does not mean paying for shipping. I agree that the phone rep should have been more helpful. However, paying for expedited shipping has no bearing on the company's customer service. You also could have opted for ground shipping for $10, and used a loaner phone in the meantime. The corporate stores offer loaners for those waiting on warranty exchanges.

It's great to see a longtime customers still around. Please don't think that TMO is unique in the policies you've mentioned though
    11-02-10 12:43 AM
    Thanks for continuing your participation in helping out fellow members Norris! You have been a huge help these past years and no noobie rep can take that away!

11-03-10 12:46 PM
    Thanks for continuing your participation in helping out fellow members Norris! You have been a huge help these past years and no noobie rep can take that away!
    Thanks man. That's what I'm here for.
    11-03-10 04:25 PM
    Ok here is my question I know I can use my blackberry internet on my laptop but will I have to pay extra fees even if I have the unlimted family plan data service?
    TMO's new data policy for tethering only lists 7.2 mbps 3G and HSPA+ devices, which would exclude all BB devices, by the letter of the law. They may go into more detail and add all 3G devices to that list, but for now you should be fine
    11-03-10 04:50 PM
    whats the best way to get the best deal on the 9780? i am due for an early upgrade
    Early Upgrade pricing is a set price. All you would need to do is call care and check the pricing. You may also be eligible to break the phone up into payments, depending on your account
    11-03-10 04:58 PM
    TMO's new data policy for tethering only lists 7.2 mbps 3G and HSPA+ devices, which would exclude all BB devices, by the letter of the law. They may go into more detail and add all 3G devices to that list, but for now you should be fine
    thank you very much for you help
    11-03-10 07:46 PM
    do u think i will get a cheaper deal in store or through the phone?
    11-03-10 09:19 PM
542 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD