I have a folder with 18 items being pushed. Sure I can, and have, hidden the folder but Is it really necessary to push that much garbage to customers?

Is it possible to get my device/account on a 'quit pushing crap' list through AT&T? I'd rather ask here before I call customer support and spend the day going in circles. All the reps I've dealt with in the past are absolutely clueless.

This is probably a pointless rant, but pushed content ranks among spam advertisements in your email to me, only with no way to auto filter it. Hate spam. Hate telemarketing. Hate commercials. Hate pushed content! Grr! /sadfase

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 10:32 AM
    As far as I know there is no way to stop it. I will say AT&T has pushed anything to my phone in a LONG time.
    03-13-10 11:23 AM
    This bugs me, too. This mornung my daughter got a text about some sports site pushed from ATT. It seems that they are using ads/links more and more to increase $

03-13-10 11:25 AM
    Weird. Maybe because of my dealer plan I dont get pushed content??
    03-13-10 04:18 PM
    Share please!

This list may not be 100% from AT&T, but here's a list of the lovely goodies I get pushed to my device:

YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile
    AT&T Mall
    AT&T Mobile Web
    *AT&T Radio
    Get AT&T Navigator
    Community
    Shop Music
    Music Apps
    Make-UR-Tones
    Get Mobile Banking
    MusicID
    My-Cast Weather
    PAC-MAN by Namco
    Scrabble
    Tetris
    *Bejeweled
    *MySpace
    *Facebook

Starred apps are new (within the last week or so), and all showed up with AT&T Radio, so assuming it was AT&T. The rest have been there since I got my device.

When opening any of them (app links only of course), I get sent to a 'Blackberry virtual preload agreement' to download them. Bleh.
    03-14-10 02:33 PM
    ===== QUOTE Totalimmortal363 ====

===== /QUOTE ====
    Share please!

This list may not be 100% from AT&T, but here's a list of the lovely goodies I get pushed to my device:

YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile
    AT&T Mall
    AT&T Mobile Web
    *AT&T Radio
    Get AT&T Navigator
    Community
    Shop Music
    Music Apps
    Make-UR-Tones
    Get Mobile Banking
    MusicID
    My-Cast Weather
    PAC-MAN by Namco
    Scrabble
    Tetris
    *Bejeweled
    *MySpace
    *Facebook

Starred apps are new (within the last week or so), and all showed up with AT&T Radio, so assuming it was AT&T. The rest have been there since I got my device.

When opening any of them (app links only of course), I get sent to a 'Blackberry virtual preload agreement' to download them. Bleh.
    I have the same ones you have. I noticed that XM Radio and Wikimobile went away.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-14-10 02:58 PM
    My space and face book were presents from RIM.
    03-16-10 10:12 PM
    I didn't think it was possible for AT&T to push content to your BB, unless you either resent the service books to your device, or updated the OS. I've had my BB data plan with ATT for one week now, and they haven't pushed any content to my Bold so far.

03-19-10 03:51 PM
    That damn demo song keeps popping up on mine
    03-19-10 04:29 PM
    I have not one but two yellowpages.com icons. I'm so tired of getting these things pushed to my phone. I wish it would it would give us an option before it's on there forever. Sure, like the OP, I can hide them- but it is a PITA.
    Last edited by alandry65; 03-22-10 at 10:58 AM.
    03-22-10 10:15 AM
    Weird...I don't have anything. Knock on wood.
    03-22-10 11:13 AM
    I hate all the pushed content. I create a "junk" folder, put them all in there, and then hide the folder.
    03-22-10 11:32 AM
    So I decided to try out their new Online Chat system to see if by some slim chance someone could actually help me. Transcript is as follows.

Replaced my real name with MyName.

Welcome to AT&T Technical Support Chat. My name is 'Steven Smith' and I�ll be happy to assist you today.

Steven Smith: I do apologize that you are having a problem with advertising on your phone, MyName. I will be happy to assist you with your problem today.

Steven Smith: Are you concerned about text messages being sent to you?

MyName: Thank you very much. Ever since I received my device, there has been pushed content on the device itself, and I would like to get rid of it if possible. Other AT&T users that own blackberrys that I have spoken to do not receive any of this.

MyName: The list is as follows: "YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile, AT&T Mall, AT&T Mobile Web, AT&T Radio, Get AT&T Navigator, Community, Shop Music, Music Apps, Make-UR-Tones, Get Mobile Banking, MusicID, My-Cast Weather, PAC-MAN by Namco, Scrabble, Tetris, Bejeweled."

MyName: Removing the service books for these items on my phone gets rid of them temporarily until i disconnect from the network and reconnect. then the service books are re-sent to my device.

Steven Smith: I apologize, but there is not a way to block messages that are sent directly from AT&T.

MyName: There must be, as other customers with the same data plan do not receive *any* pushed content. Some only get one or two of the items I listed. I have done extensive research on the topic via forums. It is quite irritating to have my phone littered with these advertisements being sent from my own service provider.

Steven Smith: I apologize, but even if texting is blocked on your line you will still receive messages from AT&T.

MyName: Surely someone has to know something. These are not actual text messages. they are icons on the device itself as links to download various applications, most of which are from ATT. Is there another rep in another department I could speak with?

Steven Smith: Those are the standard application icons that come with most AT&T smart phones.

MyName: They aren't actually on the device itself. They are being 'pushed' to my device from AT&T. I can manually remove the service books for each specific item being sent, which works fine until i power off my device. once my device handshakes with the wireless network again, they are pushed back.

Steven Smith: The service books deliver programs that are required for your phone. I apologize, but those icons are a part of the service books.

MyName: I guess I'm failing to understand how my specific device requires links to various AT&T software downloads to work correctly, whereas other customers seem to get by just fine without them. Not doubting you directly, but there has got to be a way to remove all this pointless garbage from my device. Are you sure there isn't another rep I could speak with that would know a bit more about this that I could speak with?

Steven Smith: I have the agent that does the Blackberry training advising me of this information. All AT&T service books come with those application icons. Having those icons does not mean that you have those programs installed or are signed up for those services.

MyName: Yeah, just irritating having them on my phone. It's like having an email account full of spam that you can do nothing about. Thank you very much Steven, you have been extremely helpful. Suppose I'll have to check out Verizon after my contract ends. If at all possible I would greatly appreciate it if you could file some complaint on this subject for me, or direct me to a place I can do this myself.
    The chat abruptly ended after clicking a link that was sent to file a complaint. (Their stock customer service email address)

Yes, I only pretend to know what I'm talking about
    04-03-10 05:21 PM
    So I decided to try out their new Online Chat system to see if by some slim chance someone could actually help me. Transcript is as follows.

Replaced my real name with MyName.

The chat abruptly ended after clicking a link that was sent to file a complaint. (Their stock customer service email address)

Yes, I only pretend to know what I'm talking about
    Unfortunately, switching to VZW will not help. They have all kinds of pushed content too, including Bing.
    04-03-10 05:27 PM
    Kinda crappy that I pay about $136 / month and still have to accept all this crap software I will never use. It doesn't take up space, so I'm not worried about that. You would think a company like ATT would say ....."hey for an extra $5/month we can make all that crap go away".
    04-06-10 06:11 AM
    I pay close to $200/mo for two Blackberries with data plans and tethering. I hear ya.

Right now, it's "out of sight, out of mind"... But last time I updated, I got really pissed off. Do people on the iPhones or Androids have to put up with this stuff, or is it a special privilege reserved for us Blackberry users?

Next time I get mad about it, which will probably be next time I upgrade, I think I'm going to try a shotgun approach... Lodge a complaint with the FCC, complaint to my state's attorney general, Better Business Bureau, and sue AT&T/RIM. Someone will have to listen eventually. I just hope that their legal defense sets them back more than they make off these junk apps.

I couldn't find ANYWHERE in the AT&T contract that says they can spam me like that. If it comes down to it, I may try and use that to leave my contract. AT&T has craptacular service anyways.

04-08-10 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD