Yeah, we've seen the commercials and heard what consumers have to say, but is the service really THAT bad for you guys?
    11-26-09 03:55 PM
    No, I have full bars on 3G almost always. I drive all around where I need to go. I have service no problems. I love my service for 10+ years.

+ Detroit, MI (313 area code represent)

Why you ask?

(313'th post) hehe
    11-26-09 03:58 PM
    I have been with AT&T for the last 3 years after returning from overseas and I have not experienced the issues I read about online all the time. I have traveled and driven to different parts of the country and I have always wondered had great coverage. I don't experience dropped calls or weak coverage like others have blogged and reported. I'm in Northwest Florida (850) and I travel coast to coast often because I'm from CA.
    11-26-09 04:09 PM
    No real trouble in northern DE and west of Philadelphia since the Bold 9000. Other phones were not so good in times past.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 04:41 PM
    My brother is on AT&T and almost every call he gets drops withing 20 seconds into the call. It is a real pain to try to call him on his iphone. Supposedly 3g has come to our area (outside Charlotte, NC) and even says so on his phone but has not helped him with his dropped calls. I have never heard him curse so much in my entire life.
    11-26-09 04:55 PM
    Awesome coverage with AT&T for the last 7 years. I live in Dover, DE and often travel to Florida, SoCal, PA, NYC, Baltimore (and various other parts of MD). Thus far I have zero complaints. I have been a BB user since the Black and White screens. HUGE curve fan for many years and am currently LOVING the Bold 9000. Will stay with this until ATT comes out with a dependable touch screen (with new os) device.

11-26-09 05:27 PM
    I get great coverage where I live. I travel to Chicago, Flordia, Cali a lot and service has been great.
    11-26-09 06:46 PM
    My friends with AT&T in New England never stop complaining about service quality. I was driving through downtown Boston last week with my boss and his iPhone and he had to borrow my Tour to join a con call because he couldn't get a lasting signal. I travel so much that I have to have the service that works well in the most places in the US.

11-26-09 08:10 PM
    My friends with AT&T in New England never stop complaining about service quality. I was driving through downtown Boston last week with my boss and his iPhone and he had to borrow my Tour to join a con call because he couldn't get a lasting signal. I travel so much that I have to have the service that works well in the most places in the US.

iPhone's seem to be notorious for dropping calls/weak signal. I wonder if it would have been the same if he had another 3G phone, such as a Bold 9000, 9700, or a Windows Mobile phone. Not to mention that one case doesn't make AT&T's service horrible in Boston.

Either way, AT&T's service works for some, and not for others, and the same goes for Verizon.

And for the record, my AT&T service has been fine in New England. I will admit that Verizon does often cover more rural areas, and a lot more area with their 3G service, especially here in Maine.
    Last edited by joemecu; 11-27-09 at 12:10 PM.
    11-27-09 12:06 PM
    My service in Oklahoma has been just fine on my EDGE-only Curve. Friends who have iphones have experienced many dropped calls. My pet theory is that AT&T's 3G network is swamped because of the popularity of the iphone. I have had a grand total of one dropped call over the last 12 months.

Data has been a bit less reliable, but I think that is because of the various BIS outages we've experienced.

11-27-09 12:28 PM
    The thing is, it doesn't really matter how it works for everyone else, only how it works for you in your area.
    11-27-09 01:16 PM
    The coverage works great for me where I need it to.
    11-27-09 03:55 PM
    AT&T really has a couple strikes against it right off the bat. First, it is GSM technology, which simply is not as good at penetrating buildings, etc. as CDMA. Mix that, with a network carrier that doesn't have great coverage, and you've got problems. Who cares that GSM is the world standard, or that they have the iPhone, or that people on their network pay more each month for service. This does not make it better.

I mean, AT&T poor service is documented, from people we talk to in every day life that complain about it, to even Howard Stern- who had a Bold 9000 on AT&T, and had to get rid of it because he hated the coverage. Apparently, he got a Tour on Verizon.
    11-27-09 04:24 PM
    this speaks for itself if you are a data user

http://erictric.com/wp-content/uploa...mapforthat.jpg

and second, yeah, its that bad, at least all over Arkansas and all the way to San Antonio, TX, then all the way to Florida too, and up to Ohio

other than that can't tell you, but I have always heard bad about them, they sucked when I had them and apparently still do
    11-27-09 05:48 PM
    For the people who are experiencing dropped calls on 3G Check this thread out in case this is your issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/som...faulty-373455/

Also honestly I believe people have had issues with AT&T, I guess I am just lucky. I was driving today from my city in the freeway all the way down to 7 mile in Detroit on the freeway with my cousin on my phone he was talking all the way and didn't even drop the call. I was pretty impressed. This was all on 3G. The drive was about 50 minutes.
    11-27-09 07:35 PM
    One time I was watching Dog the bounty Hunter because there wasn't anything else on tv to watch. They were in the suburbs of Denver trying to catch someone. They couldn't talk to their informants because their iPhones were getting no service. No data was being used, so 3G shouldn't be an issue right? 3G means 3rd generation data, so that shouldn't affect voice right? Please note, I know nothing about GSM and just browsing the forums and came by this thread.
    11-27-09 07:46 PM
    3G is third generation data yes, but 3G on GSM is UMTS/HSPA which uses Voice/and Data at the same time. So there is voice links to it. Voice quality on 3G is better then 2G. On Verizons EVDO 3G. EVDO just is DATA, if you use Voice you are took down to is 1XRTT Voice network and you can't use EVDO at the same time, not even DATA. So EVDO is just DATA. Verizon never had to work with Voice on EVDO which is a benefit for them.

The UMTS/HSPA network needs more spectrum because it has Voice/ and data built in. That is why people on 3G would experience dropped calls, and not people on Verizon. If Verizon had data hogs, the EVDO network would just probably get bloated down, and 1XRTT would be fine. Unless Verizon takes more spectrum to help out its EVDO network because of issues, then 1XRTT might have issues.
    11-27-09 07:52 PM
    3G does affect phone calls, I'm in Houston and when I first got my bold with ATT, I dropped calls, calls failed on outgoing calls, and got bad reception, I changed to Edge once I found out you could and I havn't had a problem since, ATT does have a issue with 3G in certain areas, other areas they do not.
    Yea, I do not have 3G, but is all I can do right now.
    11-27-09 08:49 PM
    Coverage is great in CA but honestly its all about location. You should try it for yourself and find out. Ever hear the saying "when one person loves something, they maybe tell 4 people but when they hate it they tell atleast 10 people"? Well the same is true for the internet, people LOVE to complain about EVERYTHING on the internet! I mean just cause Howard Stern or Dog the Bounty Hunter didn't get service doesn't mean you wont. Ever notice everytime someone says "at&t didn't get service" its mostly followed by "verizon does". That could not be more false where I live, which is in the well populated bay area!! I kept my at&t phone even though I had free service with verizon...cause I sold phones for them! Hahaha! But back to point, try it for yourself.

12-01-09 02:40 AM
    Keep in mind that your call volume will affect the frequency of dropped calls. I am not real thrilled with ATT because of the frequency of dropped calls...about 2 per day (average). However, I also use about 4000 minutes per month and I'm on the road 50% of my workday. Some subscribers might require 6 months to get up to that # of minutes, hence, only 1 or 2 dropped calls per year...or they make most calls in a smaller geographic area.
    12-01-09 10:28 AM
    I had an att data card for my computer and the more the iphone saturated the market the worse it got until I gave it back and went ith vzw.
    About 2 months ago I tried the iphone and had really bad reception, and I don't live in the sticks.
    The ATT rep said just turn off the 3G and it should work which it did. Nice 3G phone. I gave it back.
    A friend had an old 2G iphone and just upgraded to the 3G and he is about to throw it out the windoe. I told him the same trick and he said "Great, i'm paying for a 3g phone and still getting the same 2G service I had on my old iphone.
    I'm staying away from ATT.
    Im on sprint and paying probably half per month for the same services and have had no coverage issues, and I travel all over.
    12-02-09 02:02 PM
    Just got these RSS feeds via viigo. (little plug there for viigo) Anyhow, yet again, Verizon is tops, AT&T stinks.

AT&T Comes in Last in Consumer Reports Study That Surprises No One - At&t - Gizmodo

Cell Phone Users Unhappy With Service -- Cell Phone Service -- InformationWeek

Not good for AT&T. And this is from Consumer Reports, so it's not some Verizon fan report or something biased towards any particular carrier. As far as reviews and impartiality goes, I trust Consumer Reports more than most.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 12-02-09 at 04:26 PM.
    12-02-09 03:24 PM
    It is according to Vzw, and they wouldn't lie about it!
    12-02-09 03:29 PM
    My mom was grandfathered in when AT&T bought Cingular several years back. Her only issue is the dead zones in Woodbribgde, VA. She would be driving down a road talking to me, and run into a dead zone and doesn't realize it. Other than that, she loves AT&T.
    12-02-09 03:36 PM
    I love AT&T, It's my favorite carrier.

Aside from atleast 3 dropped calls a day, no complaints.

I've been with them since like '04 ish?
    12-02-09 04:33 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD