Can someone tell me why WiFi is so Important on the Storm 2.
    Thanks
    10-25-09 09:36 AM
    Contrary to what a VZW commercial will tell you, they don't have a map for everywhere.

Honestly, my UMA smoked 3G when I had Verizon anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 09:44 AM
    Can someone tell me why WiFi is so Important on the Storm 2.
    - if you travel internationally, then no roaming fees when you connect to the hotel's WiFi
    - if you have UMA, then you have unlimited talk time
    - higher data transmission speed than 3G
    - unlimited data transmission over WiFi

How's that for starters?
    10-25-09 09:58 AM
    I would say the most important thing here in London (UK) is that the reception is normally poor. At least with Wifi I'll still be able to get my e-mails.

Just my personal reason.

I think Sonni_Kuba has a few good points...
    10-25-09 10:17 AM
    - if you travel internationally, then no roaming fees when you connect to the hotel's WiFi
    - if you have UMA, then you have unlimited talk time
    - higher data transmission speed than 3G
    - unlimited data transmission over WiFi

How's that for starters?
    Lets not confuse people here--

verizon doesn't allow UMA so you cant talk for free via wifi--we should make that clear. On VZW, wifi is only goo for the data portion of the phone. For TMOBILE, you are correct with UMA and free wifi talking
    10-25-09 10:19 AM
    For someone like me it is a BIG deal. At home I get lousy cell signal when in my house. It comes from me having a 100+ year old house with thick aluminum siding and a tin roof. It is like living in a faraday cage.

At work my situation is a little different. My station is a repurposed military munitions depot from back in WWII. It has 2-3 foot thick, steel reinforced, concrete walls. I have a hard time getting cell signal unless I open up the truck bay door. That is a no no in the winter time.

So, since I have wifi at home and at work it will enable me to easily receive the data portion of my messages, emails, news feeds, etc... without having to worry about cell signal.

Granted, my situation is a bit bizarre but I appreciate RIM taking me into consideration.
    10-25-09 10:29 AM
    what is uma?
    10-25-09 10:52 AM
    what is uma?
    I believe it is the ability for your phone to switch and place calls over a wifi signal rather than the regular cellular network. Essentially, it allows you to place calls, when you might not have cell signal. As long as you have access to a wifi network and do not use the cell network, you can place calls without using your minutes.
    10-25-09 11:15 AM
    Yes, for me, I am travelling to the USA soon and it will be a lOT chepaer to use a wifi signal to connect for internet than pay the exhorbitant roaming charges for data.
    10-25-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD