Hello all,

I talked a good friend of mine to upgrade from his Curve 8310 to the 9700.

He got it yesterday and was very happy with it until he ran into a roadblock of not being able to connect to his home WiFi router. He ended up calling support and the BB Tech mentioned that BBs are known to have WiFi problems. I have not come across any postings as such nor did I and some others that I know, have any problem with WiFi.

He is going to get his exchanged but is worried about running into the same problem again.

I need to stop him from telling me how easy it was to connect his iPhone to his home WiFi, can some one please shed some light on WiFi issues on the 9700, if there are any?

Thanks very much.

PS: We are both on AT&T and so are a couple of the others.
    01-22-10 08:54 AM
    I have had problems connecting to some public hotspots from my 8120. The solution was to edit the connection settings for that site on the Pearl and change the connection from 802.11b/g to just b.
    01-22-10 09:13 AM
    If you have a cheap wireless router you might have issues... get a good router like LinkSys not an issue... I have a LinkSys router and an 8900... my wife has a 9700... NO Issues!!!
    01-22-10 09:37 AM
    I am pretty sure he has a LinkSys router, his laptop and iPhone connect fine with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 10:35 AM
    Moving to the Wifi Help Forum
    01-22-10 10:38 AM
    I have had problems connecting to some public hotspots from my 8120. The solution was to edit the connection settings for that site on the Pearl and change the connection from 802.11b/g to just b.
    Thanks,

I don't believe he would be willing to mess around with the settings, I just hope his new unit will connect effortlessly.
    01-22-10 10:39 AM
    Try updating to OS, my Bold wouldn't connect to wifi but once I updated OS it worked automatically.
    01-22-10 11:30 AM
    Try updating to OS, my Bold wouldn't connect to wifi but once I updated OS it worked automatically.
    Thanks but It has the latest offical upgrade .405, the same as mine.

He is at the AT&T store right now, hoping to get the WiFi connectivity on his replacement unit checked out at the store itself.
    01-22-10 11:40 AM
    Thank-you Charlyee for posting this thread, and thanks to those who have responded. I have a Linksys router and not a cheap one either. I at first thought maybe the 9700 was defective, but the AT&T store was able to connect to a hotspot.
    So that eliminated it being a phone issue, and now a router issue.
    I had to laugh AT&T did not have a good WIFI connection in the store, they had to go outside and luckily there was a hotspot opened.
    Anyhow, the problem was what I was typing in for a password on my 9700. So, to set it up I found my wireless network on the 9700.
    And instead of using WEP on the 9700, I had to use PSK since my router is WPA2 personal. I actually found the problem by mistake, because I had to type in the pass key on the 9700. And I had no idea what it was because it obviously was not the password I use to access my router online, so after hitting one roadblock after another I was about to give up.
    I decided to try typing in the passphrase that is in my wireless settings in my router, and I finally got lucky and that was it.
    Charlyee and another friend spent the last two days working with me to resolve the issue, I probably would not have found it if not for them. Again thank-you.
    If anyone else has the same issue, feel free to PM me, maybe I will be able to help.
    01-22-10 05:01 PM
    Charlyee and another friend spent the last two days working with me to resolve the issue
    I'm glad we were able to help you figure it out. Now enjoy the new toy, because having just recently made the jump from a 83XX Curve to high end device myself I can tell you it will be a whole new world along with all the greatness of the BB that you already had.
    01-22-10 05:38 PM
    I'm glad we were able to help you figure it out. Now enjoy the new toy, because having just recently made the jump from a 83XX Curve to high end device myself I can tell you it will be a whole new world along with all the greatness of the BB that you already had.
    Thank-you Buickman, much appreciated, coming from the Curve this is a much improved BB. I also love the track pad, it's much smoother than the trackball.
    01-22-10 07:19 PM
    I am glad it worked, for a while there I thought we would lose you to the dark side.

Enjoy the 9700, I really like mine.

01-22-10 10:26 PM
    I am glad it worked, for a while there I thought we would lose you to the dark side.

Enjoy the 9700, I really like mine.

Thanks, and not yet Charlyee.
    01-23-10 04:27 AM
    I've connected to loads of access points on my bold 9700 and my old Curve 8900.. no problems at all!

The only issue I had was when I had to type in a manual ip at work.. I needed to put in the domain (couldnt leave it blank).. worked perfect then
    01-23-10 04:52 AM
    We just received some brand new Bold 9700s. We have a new NetGear WG103 access point. Wifi encryption is WPA2-personal. We can't connect any of the 9700s to the network. I'm trying to force one to 802.11b for this wifi profile but can't figure out how to do it. Have been on the phone with RIM support for the last 2 hrs... If there's a design or known problem or a disigned limitation that only allows it to work at certain hotspots, I with they'd just state that.

When I try to change the band in the wifi profile it puts a black ring around '802.11b/g', but then I can't hit enter on it, menu doesn't do anything.. RIM's looking at BES IT policies now. We've looked at this and we installed BES with the defaults and the user is using the default IT policy.

It won't connect to a WEP-encrypted network here also. In all cases it errors out with "Failure to obtain IP addess." iPhones and laptops are connecting to the same WPA2-personal wifi network with no problem.

DHCP is running on a Microsoft server, not the Netgear wifi access point.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.
    Last edited by pwoods7; 02-02-10 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add dhcp note
    02-02-10 05:21 PM
    We just received some brand new Bold 9700s. We have a new NetGear WG103 access point. Wifi encryption is WPA2-personal. We can't connect any of the 9700s to the network. I'm trying to force one to 802.11b for this wifi profile but can't figure out how to do it. Have been on the phone with RIM support for the last 2 hrs... If there's a design or known problem or a disigned limitation that only allows it to work at certain hotspots, I with they'd just state that.

When I try to change the band in the wifi profile it puts a black ring around '802.11b/g', but then I can't hit enter on it, menu doesn't do anything.. RIM's looking at BES IT policies now. We've looked at this and we installed BES with the defaults and the user is using the default IT policy.

It won't connect to a WEP-encrypted network here also. In all cases it errors out with "Failure to obtain IP addess." iPhones and laptops are connecting to the same WPA2-personal wifi network with no problem.

DHCP is running on a Microsoft server, not the Netgear wifi access point.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

For the heck of it try what I did in post #9 and use PSK, and type in the passphrase instead of WPA.
    02-02-10 08:08 PM
    I've had my new BlackBerry Bold 9700 for a month now, and so far my WiFi works great. Today though, it suddenly stopped working. I use my brother's old 2G iPhone as an iPod and it connects flawlessly to the WiFi connection at school. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 now doesn't connect there anymore. Anyone else having this issue? What should I do to correct this?
    02-04-10 10:44 PM
    im a mac user, and just bought my first blackberry (yes, the 9700, and i hate iphones). i have no data plans (at&t, btw). i cannot connect to my home (nor college) wifi. can someone please help? i read the instructions in #9, tried them but it didnt work for me.
    04-08-10 10:50 AM
    Today, I switched from the 9000 to the 9700 and I can't get my wifi to work at home. I haven't tried it anywhere else. My 9000 was fine connecting but nothing I do can get the 9700 to work.
    Any suggestions?
    05-13-10 12:29 AM
    Ok, listen to this one. I just got the bold, and can connect to every wifi network I've come across........EXCEPT MY OWN!!!! I too get the "can't find IP adress" message as well. I've tried changing all the settings on the phone and even tried chaning my router to "open" to allow any access, and it still won't work. The phone sees the router, but won't connect...........its a netgear router.......anyone else have any idea what this could be? I'm sure it's some sort of setting in the router.......but I'm about to take a hammer to that POS!
    08-14-10 08:20 PM
    any thoughts on this?
    09-21-10 08:48 PM
    I've had my new BlackBerry Bold 9700 for a month now, and so far my WiFi works great. Today though, it suddenly stopped working. I use my brother's old 2G iPhone as an iPod and it connects flawlessly to the WiFi connection at school. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 now doesn't connect there anymore. Anyone else having this issue? What should I do to correct this?
    I'm having this issue now :'(

Connected happily for months then suddenly it refuses to connect (the wifi icon stays dull gray, won't turn white).

Anybody can help?

Cheers,
    10-29-10 10:48 AM
    Ok, listen to this one. I just got the bold, and can connect to every wifi network I've come across........EXCEPT MY OWN!!!! I too get the "can't find IP adress" message as well. I've tried changing all the settings on the phone and even tried chaning my router to "open" to allow any access, and it still won't work. The phone sees the router, but won't connect...........its a netgear router.......anyone else have any idea what this could be? I'm sure it's some sort of setting in the router.......but I'm about to take a hammer to that POS!
    For 9 days I tried to get my 9700 to work on my Netgear. Finally... someone suggested to go into the Netgear setup wizard and change the security settings.BAM...it is working.
    1. go online to netgear and go into the setup wizard.
    2.go to wireless settings.
    3.change security from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK.
    4.TYPE IN YOUR PASSPHRASE.
    5.Delete Netgear on your 9700 in wireless settings.
    6.Go to set-up wifi network.
    7.scan for networks.
    8.save your Netgear router when it finds it.
    9. connect.

Hopefully this works for you. Good luck
    10-31-10 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD