View Poll Results: How do you feel about Pocket Mac?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!!!

3 7.50%
  • It's...ok.

18 45.00%
  • It sucks!

19 47.50%
    I've been seeing a few bad posts about Pocket Mac, and I was just wondering how everyone that uses Pocket Mac feels about it. I'm in the process of switching from PC to Mac and I wanna know if I should hold off on tossing my PC out the window. I know about the VMWare Fusion solution, but that would defeat my purpose in buying a Mac.
    11-20-07 07:03 PM
    I use PocketMac and it's okay. I wish it would have the capability to upgrade OS though. It does what I need to do.

I would keep your PC for little bit until 4.3 OS comes out. You'll need the PC to upgrade the OS on your BB.
    11-20-07 09:40 PM
    Can you install apps on either pocketmac or missing sync?
    11-27-07 09:30 AM
    Pocketmac is doing its job so far. I've hit a few bumps, but nothing that really ruins it for me..plus it was free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-07 10:32 PM
    I just downloaded pocketmac and have one problem when syncing with my BB 8830. It appears that any contact on my MAC Ibook G4 that is part of two or more groups will DUPLICATE on my BB even though I checked, do not duplicate. Evidently, the fact that a contact has more than one group attached to it makes it another contact according to BB.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted Pocketmac by email but have not heard back yet.
    Thanks
    01-03-08 11:08 AM
    I use pocketmac and think it's just ok. I spoke to a rep at T-mobile yesterday that said the blackberry rep told him that RIM is working on a full scale program for Mac users just like the one for pc's.
    01-16-08 08:52 AM
    I have a BES, so syncing is not the issue, just installing apps. I fire up Parallels with xp because in my opinion Pocket Mac is the most unstable Mac program. Some times it works.
    02-26-08 08:05 PM
    I used it for about a week. This after using Missing Sync with great success. Missing Sync, however, won't let you sync apps. Pocket Mac does let you sync apps - which is why I used it. Being as unreliable as it was (SLOW and unsuccessful at times) I ditched it, and went back to Missing Sync

02-27-08 02:51 PM
    Personally I don't think its too bad, especially for easy syncing

02-28-08 08:31 AM
    I find it really quite squirrelly and weird. Whenever I sync, I always get notices telling me that calendar events are missing from either my device or my desktop, and that I should either delete (one or all) or restore (one or all) to either the BB or the Mac.

Yesterday I was going through my summer calendar in iCal, and I noticed that Pocket Mac had created bizarre duplicates of some of my calendar events, in which it had added strange, after-the-fact alarms.

I do hope RIM comes up with something better before long.
    02-29-08 04:41 AM
    I haven't had any problems with PocketMac, but it sorely has limitations, the biggest being we can't upgrade our OS with it.

It's better than nothing, so I use it until something better comes along.
    02-29-08 01:18 PM
    I use Pocket Mac because I don't know what else to use
    02-29-08 03:02 PM
    I used it for about a week. This after using Missing Sync with great success. Missing Sync, however, won't let you sync apps. Pocket Mac does let you sync apps - which is why I used it. Being as unreliable as it was (SLOW and unsuccessful at times) I ditched it, and went back to Missing Sync
    So I presume you like Missing Sync better? Aside from not syncing applications (which I don't need to do right now) does MS work cleanly to sync calendar events and contacts?

My big problem with Pocket Mac is those weird, unpredictable glitches in what it syncs and what it perceives as new data.
    02-29-08 03:10 PM

I have pocketmac and I dont see any place to sync applications... I went and downloaded the most recent version from blackberry.com version 4.0.20b... am I missing something??

I can sync my addressbook, calendar etc... and supposedly, my bookmarks (which I dont do cuz of Opera mini)

But no apps... what kind of apps should I be able to put on the BB?
    03-04-08 05:48 PM
    I wrote this for someone who was having issues syncing there 8130 to load apps. It may work for you and it may not. But at least it's something.
    Down Load "How To Sync A BlackBerry.pdf here
    03-04-08 06:34 PM
    PocketMac has been screwy with my calendar...adding different calendars, refusing to sync entries correctly, etc....

I continue to fight through this, but what a pain!
    03-04-08 06:36 PM
    ok... well, it looks like it would work, but none of the applications I would want to put on the BB are available (selectable) to put on there.

I was hoping to put some apps from my computer... I guess I need special applications made for the BB.

I figured as much, but at least I can download them to my laptop and install from there if I need to.

Thanks, that helps,
    03-05-08 02:01 AM
    ok... well, it looks like it would work, but none of the applications I would want to put on the BB are available (selectable) to put on there.

I was hoping to put some apps from my computer... I guess I need special applications made for the BB.

I figured as much, but at least I can download them to my laptop and install from there if I need to.

Thanks, that helps,
    You are correct. The BB's OS is Java based, so the program would have to also. Even if you could load programs that work on your Mac, the shear size would be an issue. We only have 10-15mb to play with at best so there would be no room.
    03-05-08 05:29 AM
    It's not great.
    03-07-08 07:25 PM
    If all I want pocket mac to do is sync my address book, backup the Blackberry, and possibly load aps that I cant OTA will it work OK for me?
    03-08-08 02:41 PM
    If all I want pocket mac to do is sync my address book, backup the Blackberry, and possibly load aps that I cant OTA will it work OK for me?
    Sync address book, load apps, yes. It can not backup your device like DTM can.
    03-08-08 09:11 PM
    Sync address book, load apps, yes. It can not backup your device like DTM can.

What am I missing out on there? I am not worried about backing up the e-mail messages but was thinking I could back up all my settings etc. Does the DTM for windows do that?
    03-09-08 11:01 AM
    Luke....what Pete is saying is that there is a difference between syncing and backing up (he caught me on this difference a while back!).

PocketMac will sync your contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. to your app of choice (ical, Entourage, etc.), so if you break/lose your BB, that information is still stored on your computer.

However, it won't "back up" settings, any apps you've downloaded, etc.
    03-09-08 01:19 PM
    Luke, Follow V's force! Sorry had to say that.
    But yes V is correct. The backup/restore utility on DTM is just that. It will backup all your data bases such as contacts, address books, settings, themes, and apps. This way if you ever nuke your BB all is not lost. Think of it the same as you would if you backed up your Mac or PC.
    03-09-08 06:00 PM
    Pete....you're so funny!
    03-09-08 06:42 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD