Hello everyone, if this is old news please forgive me, but I just figured out how to tether my Curve to my Mac Book Pro over USB w/ Verizon Wireless. This solution is not supported by Verizon, but it works.

1. Visit VZAccess Manager to get the latest version of VZAccess Manager for Mac.
    2. Click "Download Now"
    3. Select Mac 10.5.x from the 1st drop-down menu.
    4. Select "PC Card, ExpressCard or USB Modem" from the 2nd drop-down menu.
    5. Select Pantech UM175 from the 3rd drop down menu.
    6. Select "I have lost the original VZAccess Manager CD" radio button.
    7. Provide your mobile number, and the download should begin.
    8. The installer should download as an image file and open itself on your desktop. If not, double-click the downloaded image file and you will see a disk icon on your desktop -- open this icon to see the installer (it looks like an open box).
    9. Right-click on the installer package (open box) and select "Show Package Contents".
    10. Open /Contents/Archive.pax.gz -- it will unzip a folder called "Archive" onto your desktop.
    11. Open the Archive folder and navigate to System/Library/Extensions.
    12. Copy the "BlackberryUSB.kext" and "BlackberryUSBDev.kext" to the /System/Library/Extensions folder of your hard drive.
    13. Launch the VZAccess Manager installer and reboot. Now tether your Curve with a USB cable and VZAccess Manager should have no trouble recognizing your device and getting you connected.

Please note that while VZAccess Manager adds a Blackberry modem connection into your network settings, you must launch VZAccess Manager in order to properly initialize your Curve and put it into modem mode. Once VZAccess Manager has finished initializing your Curve, you can quit the program and connect using the Network control panel.

THIS IS NOT A WAY TO GET FREE TETHERING -- YOU MUST STILL CONTACT VERIZON SUPPORT AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PLAN. IF YOU DON'T, YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO A VERIZON LANDING PAGE WHERE YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE BEFORE YOU CAN GO OUT OVER THE INTERNET.

I tried this yesterday at one of my open houses, and I was able to surf and check email on my laptop while USB tethered to my Curve. It worked like a charm, and the speeds are better than Bluetooth.

Mac users rejoice!
    09-15-08 09:53 AM
    i just downloaded the vzaccess manager from verizon's site and chose the motorola q cuz bberry doesn't have a software for osx (this was posted on other sites for tethering via bluetooth to mac). i installed it and then instead of trying to connect via bluetooth (which i tried and didn't carry out successfully - maybe didn't follow instructions well enough) - and then vz access asked for my cell no and it worked! i was in a wifi cafe so i had to turn off airport just to make sure and disconnect. so i reconnected via usb, opened vzaccess, clicked connect wwan or whatever it was and then on my phone the trusty sign that says 'modem mode enabled' showed up and i opened a new browser window and new url and it loaded. btw - when i turned off airport, i made sure that when i reloaded a page, it was disconnected from the internet..... i'm gonna go home and try it now - cuz my bb is my only internet at home i have to hang it in the window to get a signal it would be so sad if my mac couldn't get internet at home....what a waste....but i still have my pc that works fine just in case.....

so - does that mean I just got lucky and i have to do some of this stuff above to get it to work in the future?
    07-13-09 07:46 PM
    Hello everyone, if this is old news please forgive me, but I just figured out how to tether my Curve to my Mac Book Pro over USB w/ Verizon Wireless. This solution is not supported by Verizon, but it works.

1. Visit Manager to get the latest version of VZAccess Manager for Mac.
    2. Click "Download Now"
    3. Select Mac 10.5.x from the 1st drop-down menu.
    4. Select "PC Card, ExpressCard or USB Modem" from the 2nd drop-down menu.
    5. Select Pantech UM175 from the 3rd drop down menu.
    6. Select "I have lost the original VZAccess Manager CD" radio button.
    7. Provide your mobile number, and the download should begin.
    8. The installer should download as an image file and open itself on your desktop. If not, double-click the downloaded image file and you will see a disk icon on your desktop -- open this icon to see the installer (it looks like an open box).
    9. Right-click on the installer package (open box) and select "Show Package Contents".
    10. Open /Contents/Archive.pax.gz -- it will unzip a folder called "Archive" onto your desktop.
    11. Open the Archive folder and navigate to System/Library/Extensions.
    12. Copy the "BlackberryUSB.kext" and "BlackberryUSBDev.kext" to the /System/Library/Extensions folder of your hard drive.
    13. Launch the VZAccess Manager installer and reboot. Now tether your Curve with a USB cable and VZAccess Manager should have no trouble recognizing your device and getting you connected.

Please note that while VZAccess Manager adds a Blackberry modem connection into your network settings, you must launch VZAccess Manager in order to properly initialize your Curve and put it into modem mode. Once VZAccess Manager has finished initializing your Curve, you can quit the program and connect using the Network control panel.

THIS IS NOT A WAY TO GET FREE TETHERING -- YOU MUST STILL CONTACT VERIZON SUPPORT AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PLAN. IF YOU DON'T, YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO A VERIZON LANDING PAGE WHERE YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE BEFORE YOU CAN GO OUT OVER THE INTERNET.

I tried this yesterday at one of my open houses, and I was able to surf and check email on my laptop while USB tethered to my Curve. It worked like a charm, and the speeds are better than Bluetooth.

Mac users rejoice!

Thanks. Info worked great. Much faster then bluetooth. This post saved much aggravation.
    08-04-09 10:37 AM
    What is the Kb speed difference?

And why do you need so much speed?

Thanks
    08-04-09 06:52 PM
    and i assume this VZ only?
    08-04-09 06:54 PM
    I tried this and got the archive system, extensions there was no blackberry links there. What now?
    10-07-09 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD