Yes, it seems to have fixed it on mine. I'm using content protection on Strong strength, not including address book, and no content compression. I've only rebooted a couple times, though, and will keep you guys updated as I get a few more test cases to confirm.
    I have the same settings as you except for the compression...mine is enabled. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I just completed my upgrade to .160 and see the same issue I had after the .138 upgrade. When you first go to messenger, you see your contact categories and they might say something like 0/4 or 1/5. So they are hidden in background somewhere. If one of them pings you, they resurface. It was only after a few battery pulls when I started getting the message about my PIN changing and I needed to notify my contacts or they would be deleted.

So far, I'm back to them being hidden.
    06-10-09 10:49 AM
    I have the same settings as you except for the compression...mine is enabled. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I just completed my upgrade to .160 and see the same issue I had after the .138 upgrade. When you first go to messenger, you see your contact categories and they might say something like 0/4 or 1/5. So they are hidden in background somewhere. If one of them pings you, they resurface. It was only after a few battery pulls when I started getting the message about my PIN changing and I needed to notify my contacts or they would be deleted.

So far, I'm back to them being hidden.
    how did your pin change with a software upgrade?
    06-10-09 09:44 PM
    how did your pin change with a software upgrade?
    That's the point of our posts. Our pins are not changing, but for some reason BBMessenger thinks they are, and sends an "update" to all our messenger contacts. It's just a nuisance, but it's clearly a bug. It happens to me every time I reboot my device, either by soft reset or battery pull.
    06-10-09 09:50 PM
    I do not have this "bug", so there must be some other explanation or an interaction of applications....
    06-10-09 11:05 PM
    I do not have this "bug", so there must be some other explanation or an interaction of applications....
    Having Content Protection enabled appears to be necessary for the bug to show up. My IT policy won't allow me to disable it. If you were to enable it and reboot and see the problem, that would be consistent with my and other's experience. If you enabled CP, rebooted and didn't see the problem, that would be even more useful to know.
    06-11-09 06:15 AM
    I keep loading .138 back on ?

Any ideas??
    LOL...same here...I did it twice and both times. did you ever get it to work?
    06-11-09 08:48 AM
    I am curious, after installing .160 my file free went from ~7mb to 11-12 mb. Now it is down to 6-8MB free MAX. I havent installed anything new. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what is going on and how to get the memory back up?
    06-12-09 10:39 AM
    If I install this on my Verizon 8830, is it going to mess up my service?
    06-12-09 11:03 AM
    I am so hosed. I am in limbo. I have followed all of the instructions. I have wiped my Blackberry using JL and deleted the vendor.xml file. The upgrade starts but near the end a fatal error will occur while loading the applications. I have tried going back to 130 after wiping with JL again. Nothing seems to work. I hope someone out there can give me something else to try. I have no phone at this point. I am on Alltel if that helps.
    06-12-09 12:28 PM
    I tried the hybrid instructions for the 8830 and now I have an O/S version 160.
    06-12-09 01:03 PM
    I am curious, after installing .160 my file free went from ~7mb to 11-12 mb. Now it is down to 6-8MB free MAX. I havent installed anything new. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what is going on and how to get the memory back up?
    When you say 6-8MB max, is that read immediately after a reboot? It's normal for free memory to fluctuate, but it should come back. If you have not already done it, Reed McLay's Memory Optimzation Procedure that's linked in my sig is an excellent guide to increasing File Free.
    06-12-09 02:35 PM
    If I install this on my Verizon 8830, is it going to mess up my service?
    The first post in this thread summarizes the benefits and problems associated with 4.5.0.160. If you read that post and don't understand it, I recommend you hold off on installing the upgrade. Upgrading your OS is not difficult, but it is not trivial either. It will be much easier to do, and you will be much more likely to be successful, if you first get some basic familiarity with your BlackBerry. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

You should not attempt to upgrade the OS in the first 30 days that you own a new phone, simply because installing an OS other than the factory-supported OS will void your warranty and you will have to restore the factory OS before you can return your phone, should you find some other defect in it in the first 30 days. As an additional benefit, after using it for 30 days, you'll be much more likely to succeed when you do attempt the upgrade.
    06-12-09 02:37 PM
    When you say 6-8MB max, is that read immediately after a reboot? It's normal for free memory to fluctuate, but it should come back. If you have not already done it, Reed McLay's Memory Optimzation Procedure that's linked in my sig is an excellent guide to increasing File Free.
    I am totally wiping the berry right now because after a reboot, yes the max I am getting is 8Mb free
    06-13-09 07:13 PM
    That's a drastic step if you haven't done the MOP first, but it should certainly help...
    06-13-09 10:15 PM
    That's a drastic step if you haven't done the MOP first, but it should certainly help...
    I did teh MOP, and the most extreme way of that seems more complicatied. I did the mid range MOP and it did nothing.

I dont think a wipe is too bad, just takes time.
    I am now at 14.5 MB free consistently.
    What is with the memory leaks that always draw the memory down even when you arent doing anything?

Also the V-s(something) for YouTube app is a totally poorly written app, it was sucking down the memory pretty bad so I deleted it.

Everything is good now.
    06-13-09 10:19 PM
    Some apps ARE poorly written, but the idea of memory leaks is over-emphasized. All apps reside in memory, whether they are executing or not. Executing apps are supposed to use and release memory. A abrupt drop of 5 MB or more after a battery pull isn't necessarily indicative of a problem, if it stabilizes there. It just means your apps are using that much memory. Of course, starting at 14MB, that takes you into the danger zone pretty quickly. So you are doing the right thing to look closely at your apps and see which ones are using that memory. If you need them, then they may be worth the space they use. If you don't, they certainly aren't.
    06-13-09 10:30 PM
    The phone has 21MB free with now apps running .160.
    I reinstalled my plethora of apps and it went to 13.99 then I cleared teh logs and cache and it went to 14.55.

With it sitting for two hours doing nothing it drops about 2 megs.
    I still dont understand why when closing all apps it still does this.
    06-13-09 10:34 PM
    There are 4 apps you can't close (5 if you use BBM). Those apps are going to use memory no matter what you do. Since they are RIM apps, they are normally well behaved and don't cause memory to drop to zero, but they do use some.
    06-13-09 10:50 PM
    So now I steadily get 15.4 MB free after a pull. All is balanced again in my crackberry Chi.
    06-14-09 11:54 PM
    What a disappointment! This call timer is not true timer. The timer supposed to start when call is answered not when send button is pushed.
    06-15-09 03:36 PM
    What a disappointment! This call timer is not true timer. The timer supposed to start when call is answered not when send button is pushed.
    On all Verizon and Sprint phones I have owned, the call timer starts when you hit "send." Ghey, I know.
    06-15-09 06:18 PM
    ok i just got the 8830, but i have a mac computer. is there any way to do the update from a mac?
    06-15-09 08:45 PM
    I think you have to convert the mac to pc(forgot the software name that does this) then do it from PC side.
    06-15-09 08:47 PM
    any idea on how i do that?
    06-15-09 08:50 PM
    You have three options (2 of which are emulation) Use bootcamp (a free mac supported partition where you run windows. Bootcamp has worked for me. There is also VMware and Parallels. I have not used VMware, but use Parallels. Unfortunately Parallels did not work for loading the new software...had to use bootcamp.
    06-15-09 10:51 PM
212 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD