So I sent an email to Verizon specifying the hatred most 8830WE users have harbored over the issue of a lack of an operating MMS function for BIS operators. I mentioned the tediousness of recieving through the vzw pix place and composing emails to send. Many individuals CANNOT send/recieve emails through their mobile devices, so emailing information that would require pictures is not an option in the mobile world.

I stressed the concept of BIS operators using their 8830WE's for both personal AND professional use in company that cannot or will not supply a BES system and how this puts a major damper on the 8830WE's use in the business environment. This was my response.

My name is ---, I will be more than happy to assist you with MMS functionality inquiry.*I certainly understand your concern regarding the MMS functionality on your Blackberry 8830 device. However, as a part of the functionality and design of the device by Blackberry, the option to send and receive picture/video messages in the standard format has been restricted. Since this is a block placed directly by the manufacturer, we are unable to advise if this restriction will be removed in the future. You may contact Blackberry Support directly regarding any proposed changes to the functionality of the phone. You may visit their Technical Support website at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless.

I have said it once or twice, but I'll say it again. Most Verizon representatives have no clue what they're talking about. The 8830WE's MMS function IS NATIVE to the phone, and the service books and modules CAN be added back to the device. When this is done it is Verizon's server that blocks the transmission.

Any thoughts?
    05-12-09 09:01 AM
    Why can they not send/receive emails through their mobile devices? Any person with SMS can text to an email address. My friends do it all the time to me... until Alltel had the full MMS out.
    05-12-09 10:04 PM
    You misunderstand. It CAN send and receive emails and SMS messages. Only the MMS has been blocked.
    This is referring specifically to the Verizon 8830WE's
    Last edited by r3df1a66; 05-12-09 at 10:17 PM.
    05-12-09 10:10 PM
    Yes, friends from VZ and Alltel used to send me their MMSs to [email protected]... and I would send emails back to [email protected] or etc. Worked fine for me.
    05-13-09 05:01 PM
    I understand that, but that's only getting them to email you and you reply through your email server to their MMS server. I'm talking about simply composing an MMS and recieving an MMS without the use of the email function, the way EVERY other VZW Blackberry does. It's a native function to the 8830WE; why can't we use it? Sounds like carriers trying to cash in on data costs (though most of us BB users have unlimited).
    05-13-09 05:09 PM
    I didn't know you could get a BB plan without unlimited data?

I don't have a Verizon one to play with so I'm out of answers. Sorry.
    05-13-09 11:15 PM
    Sorry R3, you're fighting a losing battle. Verizon has already said that if they sell a phone that does not have a camera, it will not release MMS to be used on that phone. Even though we know from the other carriers (sprint, alltel) that it can be done, they will not let it go through. I even tried putting the VZW 8330's MMS service book on my 8830 and no dice
    05-16-09 03:54 PM
    This really sucks that the Verizon version cannot do MMS messages. I switch my phones back and forth. Storm, Curve, and 8830. Once I activated te 8830, it said to drop the unlimited vid message/pic option. I knew right there it wouldnt MMS. There needs to be some sort of fix for this.
    05-16-09 09:30 PM
    If you upgrade to the Bell 4.5 OS MMS is active on the 8830WE.

I'm speaking from experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 08:47 AM
    Thanks. I'll have to try that. My only question is that even if I put the bell os on it, will it pass the servers, or will it be like getting the vzw mms service books where it shows you the option to send an mms, but it never delivers?
    05-18-09 09:26 AM
    I have Alltel and upgraded from the 4.2 to the 4.5 about a month or so ago. I can send and receive text messages without any problem at all.

05-18-09 09:28 AM
    But with a Verizon 8830, using the OS from a carrier that supports MMS, we've had no luck, so far. I'll try the Bell OS, and report back.
    05-18-09 10:00 AM
    Ok, please let me know if it works.

05-18-09 10:01 AM
    I have Verizon's 4.5.138 OS and received an MMS from my daughter this weekend. What I got was a link to go look at the pic on verizon's pic place web site which required me to waste time dealing with passwords, etc. The short answer is that for whatever stupid reason, there is no MMS to be had on the 8830 with Verizon's 4.5 OS.
    05-18-09 10:10 AM
    That's with VZW OS we are trying Bell :-D

05-18-09 10:12 AM
    Sorry parsons, it doesn't matter what OS from whichever carrier, it won't work. I have used the sprint MMS service book (from the thread here), .127 from Bell, .135 from Sprint, and alas I'm currently on .138 from Verizon. It isn't the OS, it's a block that Verizon is using through the network. I would try to send a message and every time I would get a red X and a failed to send message notification.
    05-18-09 11:35 AM
    Same here. Nothing works.

It's strange. For being the largest carrier in the nation; hands down, the best coverage, some of the fastest d-load and u-load speeds, and supports the most powerful mobile devices, they really have their heads up their ***es with this ONE phone.
    05-18-09 11:41 AM
    Sorry guys! That's why I prefer Alltel.

05-18-09 11:43 AM
    Oh, and a little note:
    Don't google the newest bell os and think 4.5.0.177 really exists. It's just a typo, it's just .127, haha
    05-18-09 11:43 AM
    Sorry guys! That's why I prefer Alltel.

Which is why Verizon bought them out
    05-18-09 01:23 PM
    I decided, in response to the email I started this thread with, to send out a reply to Verizon Wireless technical support. My email to them reads as follows:

Having done more research, to include reading the technical manual as suggest by the associate who responded to my email, I have come to find that this response was absolute fallacy. I am thoroughly offended as a verizon customer that when I ask a question about the native functions of my phone and the reason for their being disabled when activated by verizon I can't get a straight answer, only a straight lie. The MMS function was never restricted by the manufacturer, it IS a native function on the device (as described by the technical manual found at BlackBerry - Support & Services), and many carriers worldwide have the function enabled, leaving Verizon Wireless one of a small handful of carriers to not.
    I enjoy the coverage and plans supplied by Verizon Wireless, but in my experience with technical support I have found only one associate who was able to diagnose my problem at the time (device failed to attach to BIS after update) and fix the issue (by re sending the service books) without ME walking THEM through it. I'm tired of tier-system technical support and blatant lies because of actual inability to give a concise answer.
    If possible, I would just like my original question actually answered. Why has Verizon blocked the MMS function on the Blackberry 8830 World Edition? With or without a camera, the MMS function is a vital tool for the convenient transfer of information wirelessly. The service books exist. The function is there. Why can't we use it?
    Last edited by r3df1a66; 05-19-09 at 07:21 AM.
    05-19-09 07:06 AM
    Basically, it's all the things we've been wanting to say, but never do, heh.
    05-19-09 07:13 AM
    I decided, in response to the email I started this thread with, to send out a reply to Verizon Wireless technical support. My email to them reads as follows:

Having done more research, to include reading the technical manual as suggest by the associate who responded to my email, I have come to find that this response was absolute fallacy. I am thoroughly offended as a verizon customer that when I ask a question about the native functions of my phone and the reason for their being disabled when activated by verizon I can't get a straight answer, only a straight lie. The MMS function was never restricted by the manufacturer, it IS a native function on the device (as described by the technical manual found at BlackBerry - Support & Services), and many carriers worldwide have the function enabled, leaving Verizon Wireless one of a small handful of carriers to not.
    I enjoy the coverage and plans supplied by Verizon Wireless, but in my experience with technical support I have found only one associate who was able to diagnose my problem at the time (device failed to attach to BIS after update) and fix the issue (by re sending the service books) without ME walking THEM through it. I'm tired of tier-system technical support and blatant lies because of actual inability to give a concise answer.
    If possible, I would just like my original question actually answered. Why has Verizon blocked the MMS function on the Blackberry 8830 World Edition? With or without a camera, the MMS function is a vital tool for the convenient transfer of information wirelessly. The service books exist. The function is there. Why can't we use it?
    wow. After reading this, Verizon as an entire company should Hire YOU haha. Thats really professional and I agree with exactly what you said.
    05-19-09 08:49 AM
    R3, please keep us updated with their response...
    05-20-09 02:47 PM
    Definatly, if we need to sign a petition, we can always gather one together and send to them. Please keep us updated.
    05-20-09 03:18 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD