GPS apps on Verizon's network require PDE authorization. In essence, the app supplies a password to Verizon's network when it first attempts to retrieve cell tower GPS inforamtion. VZNav and BBMaps have their PDE authorization information, so they work with VZW. It doesn't surprise me that Google doens't have an authorization code for Verizon.
    10-22-09 09:21 AM
    ... It doesn't surprise me that Google doens't have an authorization code for Verizon.
    It doesn't surprise me anymore, but I don't understand why Google doesn't have the code. Is it just a licensing issue? Will Verizon not license it? Has Google refused to pay? Granted, it's becoming irrelevant as the 8830 is being replaced by the 9630, but this seems like such a simple matter for Google and Verizon to fix.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 09:33 AM
    It doesn't surprise me anymore, but I don't understand why Google doesn't have the code.
    The Verizon apologists will say it is because Google won't agree to Verizon's terms and conditions relative to user information retention/use, security, blah blah blah. Which is ridiculous on its face since the app (and every other LBS app with our without Verizon even knowing the app exists!) runs without restriction on 9530 and 9630.

10-23-09 06:39 AM
    No surprises here: Google Maps for Mobile 3.2.1 has been released and the GPS is still not working on a VZW 8830WE with the latest Sprint 4.5.0.175 OS.
    11-04-09 05:43 PM
    No surprises here: Google Maps for Mobile 3.2.1 has been released and the GPS is still not working on a VZW 8830WE with the latest Sprint 4.5.0.175 OS.
    Thank you for keeping the vigil. I no longer use my 8830, but I'd appreciate knowing if Google ever started supporting it.

11-04-09 06:32 PM
    Hello everybody!!!
    I'm from Vietnam. I have a Blackberry 8830 WE Verizon
    How to use GPS in my country? Help me!
    Thanks for all!!!
    12-22-09 12:14 AM
    I don't think the 8830 GPS works in GSM mode. I haven't had occasion to try it, but I have read knowledgeable posters who say that it does not.

12-22-09 11:41 AM
    i have figured out how but i will not say yet as i am not positive it will be the same for every firmware.

but on verizon phones it seems to be a bitlock in the memory. like changing the esn you need to search for it.

i will give proper memory addy's soon
    12-27-09 03:37 PM
    WooHoo, if you need anyone to test give me a PM
    01-05-10 10:26 AM
    i have figured out how but i will not say yet as i am not positive it will be the same for every firmware.

but on verizon phones it seems to be a bitlock in the memory. like changing the esn you need to search for it.

i will give proper memory addy's soon
    Verizon encripted PDE assisted data so it's not that simple. The purpose is to seel theor own GPS app such as VZ Nav.

To protest, we should not buy VZ Nav and other VZ GPS apps.

Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, .. no of them locked GPS. VZ is different.
    01-05-10 11:44 AM
    Wonder if your methods could help 8330 users?
    01-05-10 11:50 AM
    Today I needed directions in my car and the Blackberry maps application just doesn't stack up to Google Maps. I'd really like to get a workaround for this issue. I'm getting ready to buy a new phone over it. Is this problem the same across different carriers? If not, could we install say AT&T software on a Verizon phone to repair the functionality?
    01-06-10 05:14 PM
    It's a Verizon issue only. You can't install AT&T software because AT&T doesn't have CDMA phones. You can install a Sprint OS, but that won't enable the GPS. Verizon blocks it at the carrier level. The only work-around is to buy a GPS puck. Or buy a different phone. The 9630 and 9530 use a different GPS chip that Verizon does not (or more likely cannot) disable.

01-06-10 05:24 PM
    Would the Storm 2 (9550) have a non-locked GPS chip? I'd love to be able to dump VZNavigator.
    01-07-10 06:17 PM
    Yes, GPS is unlocked in the storm 2 and third party gps aps work....
    01-07-10 06:27 PM
1,390 ... 545556
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD