Today I looked at my BB 8830 and 95% of my messages are gone! All my SMS messages dating back to June 15th (when I got the phone) are gone and most of my emails (inbox and sent) are gone, but the strange part is I still have some emails dating back to the day I purchased my phone. I have a couple left from June 15th, even fewer from June 16th, a draft from July 13th, several from July 18th and 19th and one from yesterday. The entire history in my IM conversations and my call log (incoming, outgoing, and missed) has also been deleted.

Is there any way to recover these messages?? Do you think I should swap my phone out, if there is some bug in it I don't want this to happen again. My emails are archived to a desktop but some very important text messages were lost.
    07-23-07 12:37 PM
    You are low on memory. The BB tries to free up memory by deleting those things. Have you loaded any media on device memory? Have you loaded a lot of applications? Have you cleared your browser cache. Search for low memory on this board and you should find a FAQ on how best to free up memory.
    07-23-07 02:36 PM
    You are low on memory. The BB tries to free up memory by deleting those things. Have you loaded any media on device memory? Have you loaded a lot of applications? Have you cleared your browser cache. Search for low memory on this board and you should find a FAQ on how best to free up memory.
    I have a 2 gig card, the only program I installed was Google Maps. I just find it so strange some emails were deleted while others were spared. If it were low memory would it really earase my call log....that has to be 1-2k tops
    07-23-07 03:11 PM
    Go to options->status and see how much free memory you have available. Call logs and SMS messages are the first things to go. Also delete the sample video that came with the device to save some space.
    07-23-07 03:13 PM
    I have 16,180,564 bytes or about 16MB free space. That is BEFORE I deleted the video. I wish it would say "Low Memory" rather than wiping my inbox practically clean
    07-23-07 03:31 PM
    How can we delete the sample video - I don't get an option when I open the menu on the video file?

I have about 7MB free - how low can we go before it wipes everything??
    07-23-07 04:18 PM
    I have a 2 gig card, the only program I installed was Google Maps. I just find it so strange some emails were deleted while others were spared. If it were low memory would it really earase my call log....that has to be 1-2k tops
    Are emails, call logs and the like stored on the card or on the phone? Is there a way to store them on the card?
    07-23-07 04:29 PM
    Take a look at this....
    BlackBerry Search Results

And this thread...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bla...ory-zero-2439/

Sounds like the memory leak issue. We are waiting for a patch. It's VERY frustrating.

Also, do a battery pull.

And to delete the sample video:
    Options/Advanced/Applications/Blackberry Sample Video (then select delete from the menu).
    07-23-07 08:03 PM
    Will a computer backup restore replace any deleted messages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-07 08:10 AM
    Yes. Your last backup/restore will put the messages back on accordingly from your last b/r.
    07-24-07 10:59 AM
    any updates on this? this is still happening, and a lot of very important emails/texts keep getting deleted randomly!

What I don't understand is, if it is the BB OS 'making room' when the memory is getting full (and not a memory leak), why would it just go ahead and delete our important messages, as opposed to showing a warning msg, possibly allowing you to backup/delete accordingly? What kind of software engineering is that?
    10-29-07 03:27 PM
    I had the same thing happen this weekend. 99.9% of my messages since April are gone. I don't really care about the call logs and SMS messages, but I'm frustratred that my emails are gone.

I looked at the link above to the KB notice on the Blackberry website and it says nothing about deleting emails, only SMS and call logs.

Is the backup/restore function something that the BES would have? Or is this something that I should have been doing on my own (and have now learned about the hard way)?

Is there any other way to get any of the emails back? Somebody please say yes!
    11-04-07 01:23 PM
    This will also help with freeing up space on your device.

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ
    11-04-07 01:27 PM
    We recently had one of our blackberries dump the call logs and e-mail from the Blackberry due to low memory. Does anybody know what percentage of space has to be used before it starts dumping? Or if you can adjust that?
    04-08-08 09:52 AM
    Keep above 10MB and you should be ok. Anything less and it becomes a gamble based on what version of the OSs you're running on the handheld. There's no "dead limit" for this... it varries it seems from release to release, but above 10MB and it seems to be fine most of the time.
    04-08-08 11:05 AM
    I have had this problem in the past too. Everyone who is saying its a memory thing is right, so free up as much as you can. But what has fixed my problem a lot is actually close an application when you are done with it. I was just backing out of it without closing it before, and now it doesn't do it really. I haven't had it happen in awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 11:52 AM
    there is a setting in there someone to have it delete msg older than a certain amount of time also. but i too had random emails deleted and older ones kept regardless of that setting.

05-15-08 12:14 PM
    no wonder... i was trying to look back at a txt message and some call logs and they were erased! i thought i was trippin and might have deleted it myself but it was the bb!
    05-16-08 05:53 PM
    How can I download Google Maps to my memory card and not my device so I do not lose all of my messages? When I try to download it directly from Google it automatically loads it to my device.
    05-16-08 06:02 PM
    Today, I've downloaded over 10 different softwares in the hopes of recovering my business SMSes, to no avail... Crackberry was my last hope... Is there really really no way to recover SMSes after a memory purge? :'(
    09-30-08 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD