I won't be surprised if this is greeted with "why would you want to do that?", but I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to disable/block/password protect the Internet Browser on my VZW 8830? I've checked with my provider and they can't do it at their end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    10-31-07 10:09 AM
    yes ... why would you want to do that ... and i dont believe so ... you can only lock the entire device ... not certain parts of it ... if you dont want internet access on your BB (which i wouldnt understand :-p) you should be able to call your carrier and have them block it entirely from your account ...
    10-31-07 10:35 AM
    I had that conversation with my carrier (Verizon), but they said if I blocked the internet altogether, I'd lose access to my email, whether through my corporate account or personal accounts. Has anyone had any experience to the contrary?
    10-31-07 10:46 AM
    If you don't want the Browser feature, just delete the Application.
    11-04-07 04:47 PM
    I already tried doing that. It appears I can only delete 3rd party apps, and IE isn't considered one. Again, if I'm wrong, please let me know.
    11-04-07 07:36 PM
    You should be able to delete it using Desktop Manager (and if you have the OS installed on your PC).
    11-04-07 07:41 PM
    I do have the Desktop manager installed and tried that too. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that I can delete anything other than the software I've installed myself. I do appreciate the help. I'm sure that if there's a solution, this esteemed group will help me find it!
    11-05-07 10:28 AM
    Two options. Javaloader can delete the cod file (although, not suggested as it could pose stability issues) or a BES server can certainly block Internet Access or anything else on the phone with a Policy.
    11-05-07 10:54 AM
    You can hide the Internet Browser icon.
    11-06-07 03:35 PM
    I was told by AT&T that they could not block the internet access and allow me to keep my text messaging. If I delete the internet browser would that get rid of my ability to do text messaging? I have heard stories of users running up huge internet access charges and not even knowing it?
    04-19-08 08:53 AM
    data has nothing to do with texting. go to Option-Advanced Options- Service Books and delete WAP BrowserConfig and Blackberry internet Browsing Service

*if I'm wrong just log into your BIS and resend service books. but this should delete the icon and access to it. but, again, are you giving this to a child or soemthing won't hiding the Icon work just as well?
    04-19-08 08:58 AM
    Hide the Browser icon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 08:59 AM
    You can't delete the browser Icon unless it is a third party app. Hideing your browser is your best bet. If you disable you internet from the carrier this will disable the email as well. Text messaging is a seperate entity.
    04-19-08 09:36 AM
    Interesting. After I had my 8830 for about a week my Browser icon disappeared completely. I had to go into Advance-something or other and do something (it was not specifically service books). So it appears possible to "lose" it entirely. But I don't know what else I lost when that disappeared as I sought it out pretty quickly. So I don't know if I lost email ability or not.
    04-19-08 02:19 PM
    If you delete the Internet Browsing Service Book, it'll delete the icon and keep the browser from working. However, going into Options/Advanced/Host Routing Table and hitting Menu/Register Handheld will push the service book back down to the phone, so it's not really a reliable/foolproof way to disable the browser if the person you're trying to keep out of it knows anything about Blackberries.
    04-19-08 04:11 PM
    Removing the icon will not prevent someone from receiving an email with an internet link and 'clicking' on it.

I am in need as well of removing the ability to surf the web -- email is fine, but no web browsing at all.

How can I do that?
    06-02-08 07:00 PM
    Help!

I lost my internet web browser icon after having had my Curve (8320) for three days. Where did it go?

I have been on the tech support line with T-Mobile and we have: 1)removed the battery, 2)resent the service pack, 3)reinstalled software, 4) Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, Registered, 5) repeated all of the above numerous times.

I can access the internet from other saved icons, like CNN, and then using the menu key to search.

After being transferred from a T-Mobile tech and placed on hold awaiting a Blackberry "Rim" tech, I was disconnected after 25 minutes (arrrgh!) I would really like to have my browser icon back on the home page. Any suggestions?

Thanks from South Florida
    06-16-08 12:17 AM
    what i did is hide the icon. then to be safe, go to advanced settings in your options, then applications. from there, set the permissions to deny connections, user data, etc.
    06-24-09 03:47 PM
    email is sent via the web, phone and text is totaly differant, the answer is if you need you emails still then you need the browser, if you delete or disable the browser you wont get emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:19 AM
    I certainly have the same question but with any brand of smart phone. Reason is I have a teenager that I would like to track and limit. Most Parents do at some point. So this should be a very very Universal question for everbody worldwide, yet I have a hard time finding information on it. ALL Smartphone Tracking Software uses an Internet Data Connection to Relay Email, SMS texting, & GPS coordinate data to a server for you the parent to access remotely. That way you can keep track of what your child is texting. However, for MOST parents giving their child a phone, they would rather NOT allow them to access the internet for obvious reasons. 1.) being that the available tracking/monitoring software out there cannot provide feedback to you as to what they are doing, 2.) You may not want them accessing all the social networking sites and chatting by sametime because again you can't monitor it. 3.) you may just not want them to access the internet at all....but you have no choice but to have an active internet data plan on that smartphone IF you want to monitor your child's activities. So the 1st thing I look for in a phone is whether there are some sort of Restrictions that are Password based that cannot be easily circumvented by my moderately tech savy child. The only phone I know of that has these features is the i-phone. It allows you to restrict by password protection the ability to use "safari" and to be able to "install apps" (which would be a work around to the "safari" ability. With these features "blocked" I can still have a internet data plan going to the phone so that my tracking software can communicate with the servers so I can monitor my child and locate my child at all times if I so wish.
    12-17-09 09:11 AM
    Two options. Javaloader can delete the cod file (although, not suggested as it could pose stability issues) or a BES server can certainly block Internet Access or anything else on the phone with a Policy.
    JRSCCivic,

I tried the frist option you have here which is to delete the cod file, but nothing seemed to happen to the browser. I am wondering if I did it properly. Can you run through how this is done in specific detail?

You also mentioned in a later post about deleting the Service Book. How do you do that?
    10-19-10 10:50 PM
    I've done this to my phone to remove the browser and icon:

1. Install the OS and Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer. For instructions, go to the page:
    forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-increase-blackberry-s-file-free-memory-34633
    (Scroll down to the section under 'Better')

2. Application Loader will not delete the browser. You will need to follow some of the instructions under 'Slightly More Difficult'. Use Windows File Manager to navigate too:

Start / Computer / C: Drive / Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / Shared / Loader Files

Slightly more difficult:

Application Loader does most of the work, but there are some things it does not touch.

(Tip: CrackMem replaces the following instructions)

Use Windows File Manager to navigate too:

Start / Computer / C: Drive / Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / Shared / Loader Files ...

These are device directories. Continue navigating too: Device / Java

4. Delete file net_rim_bb_browser_daemon

5. Use Desktop Manager to resync your phone. Whenever you reboot, you may get a java error, but pressing the OK key (trackpad/trackball) will get rid of it and you can go on business as usual and you shouldn't be able to access the web.
    11-13-10 12:47 AM
    I did this to my phone. It removed the browser icon and disabled the web.

1. Install the OS and Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer. For instructions, go to this page:

2. Application Loader will not delete the browser. You will need to follow some of the instructions under 'Slightly More Difficult'. Use Windows File Manager to navigate too:

Start / Computer / C: Drive / Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / Shared / Loader Files

Slightly more difficult:

Application Loader does most of the work, but there are some things it does not touch.

Start / Computer / C: Drive / Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / Shared / Loader Files ...

5. Use Desktop Manager to resync your phone. Whenever you reboot, you may get a java error, but pressing the OK key (trackpad/trackball) will get rid of it and you can go on business as usual and you shouldn't be able to access the web.
    11-13-10 12:50 AM
    @prayzm

I have a bb pearl 8120 and I followed the procedure you posted to delete the browser but i'm having trouble re-sync my phone could you please help me out with that asap
    thanks
    07-25-11 02:39 PM
    I've done this to my phone to remove the browser and icon:

1. Install the OS and Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer. For instructions, go to the page:

Slightly more difficult:

I have a bb pearl 8120 and I followed the procedure you posted to delete the browser but i'm having trouble re-sync my phone could you please help me out with that asap
    thanks
    08-01-11 07:02 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD