Hi, since the past couple weeks, my BlackBerry 8830 loses wireless signal every few minutes, and the status almost constantly shows "searching for network".

This happens more often than not.

VZW claims they've never heard of this problem, and say the handset may be defective.

I don't neccessarily want to get a new handset as my old handset's PIN is known to a lot of my friends...

I've done all the usual battery removals, reboots, wipe handheld, reload OS, register handheld, send service books,updated PRL, etc. etc. at least a couple times each.

Any thoughts? Thx.
    10-20-07 09:33 PM
    By the sound of it I think you really do have to swap handhelds. If you wipe the device and still have issues ur kind of scr*wed!
    10-20-07 10:17 PM
    Well, I reloaded the OS after the wipe, and the device worked, but still sporadic, same "searching for network" status...it isn't like that always, but loses signal and then "searches for network" about 15 to 20 times a day...it literally happened overnight, one day it was fine, and the next day it started doing this.
    10-21-07 12:48 AM
    It looks like you might need to swap it out. Does it happen everywhere or only when you are in a certain area? i know on my old phone, the towers around my house were being worked on and it gave me horrible signal. I was almost experiencing the same thing as you. It sucked but eventually got fixed.
    10-22-07 08:25 AM
    Mostly around one particular area, but signal is kinda weak in that spot anyway. Thing is, other CDMA blackberry's running in the same area have a decreased signal as well, but no "searching for network" constantly...
    bwhyte - how much time did it take for the towers to be fixed in your area? Thx.
    10-22-07 09:16 AM
    No such luck; replacement device from Verizon does the exact same thing.

The roaming triangle disappears frequently, and when it reappears, its after several seconds of "searching for network"...

Sounds like the device does not know whether it's in a home area or in an extended network when I'm across the Canadian border - opened up a trouble ticket re. the roaming problem, but no idea if that's going to resolve issues...keeping my fingers crossed!

Anyone else having this issue with a Verizon device in Montreal, Canada? Thx.
    10-26-07 08:59 AM
    Having the same problem in Toronto. Both my girlfriend and I have 8830s on Verizon and have the same problems in our building. The signal comes in and out. Sometimes even after we leave the building it can take 15 minutes for the blackberry to find a signal. I bought a Spotwave and that has helped to stabilize the signal to some degree but it can still lose the signal for no apparent reason. We used to have Motorola Qs and never had this issue before in our building. Hopefully the November update fixes this.
    11-03-07 07:22 PM
    Another weird thing is when I hold a wifi device against my BB (for about a minute) the signal comes back. It works with a Nokia N800, iPod Touch and my laptop as well. I'm not sure why that happens. Anytime the signal is gone it seems to work. After the August firmware update from Verizon though I can get the signal back but once I keep the devices separate for 10 minutes the BB will lose its signal again. Before the update it would keep the signal if I kept my BB where the Spotwave is.
    11-04-07 06:38 AM
    That's really weird if both your original handset and the replacement handset have the same problem. I've been to Buffalo quite a few times and had no problems in switching networks or finding a signal. The only thing I can think of right now is that your phone is "confused" with the change of networks. I don't know if you've already tried this but go into "Manage Connections" > "Mobile Network Options", and change the "Network Mode" to 'Global', if that's what it's at now, change it to '1XEV'. Try that and see what happens and post back.
    11-04-07 11:46 AM
    That's really weird if both your original handset and the replacement handset have the same problem. I've been to Buffalo quite a few times and had no problems in switching networks or finding a signal. The only thing I can think of right now is that your phone is "confused" with the change of networks. I don't know if you've already tried this but go into "Manage Connections" > "Mobile Network Options", and change the "Network Mode" to 'Global', if that's what it's at now, change it to '1XEV'. Try that and see what happens and post back.
    Done that repeatedly over the past few weeks, makes no difference.
    Looks like the problem lies with the VZW 8830 not being able to figure out whether to use the Telus or the Bell SID as a roaming partner in some areas in ON & QC.
    11-04-07 09:37 PM
    Hey all,

I've been working this issue for over two months with VZ network ops, and all points to an OS issue. Of course the very nice tech I'm working with needs more examples of the issue in order to get VZ/RIM to fix the issue in OS. From my own testing I've found that the original shipping OS had no problems with roaming in Canada, but the newer release (downloaded from the VZW smithmicro site) seems to suffer from the issue many of you have seen. I have also swapped hardware and everything else mentioned.

So, in order to move this along I'd like to forward the cell numbers and dates of incidents to my tech at VZ net ops, and let him run it up the pole. If you can PM me that info I'll get it over to him. Otherwise you're welcome to open your own ticket (I wish you luck in that venture), and PM me for my ticket number to reference.

Lets get this fixed!

~BlueSkyz~
    11-05-07 04:02 PM
    Anyone still got a copy of the previous OS? I deleted it a couple months back....
    11-06-07 09:07 AM
    VZW has been working with me quite well, and after two trouble tickets, and the Telus Roaming Support calling me several times this past week at Verizon's request, all parties managed to solve the issue - I reverted back to the previous Device OS software version 4.2.2.66 & it fixed this problem; the Device OS 4.2.2.148 seems to have a problem deciding between the 17500 & 16420 SIDs - most definitely a Verizon issue.
    Hopefully this issue is fixed in the upcoming 4.2.2.176 device OS software release.
    Last edited by ofelas; 11-09-07 at 09:23 AM. Reason: additional info
    11-09-07 08:36 AM
    Did you try the *228, send, and the choose option #2. The on air programming updates tower/roaming information.
    11-09-07 12:49 PM
    I've done all the usual battery removals, reboots, wipe handheld, reload OS, register handheld, send service books,updated PRL, etc. etc. at least a couple times each.
    Yup, yup, yup...in my first post, done been resolved now by rolling back one device OS version!
    11-09-07 01:41 PM
    Upgraded to .176 and made the trip up north to Toronto. Unfortunately the problem still exists in this version. I've put a call into VZ Network Ops to let them know, so they can finally start pursuing an OS fix. It would REALLY help if those of you with the same issue can PM me your Trouble Ticket numbers to reference.

Lets get this thing fixed already!
    12-07-07 10:31 AM
    thats sad...to fix a problem we have to go backwards...
    12-07-07 02:39 PM
    Yup, still no luck with anything else except the original 4.2.2.66 software.
    Great connection, but would be nice to have that along with the benefits of the latest 4.2.2.176 software like efficient keypad backlighting, better GSM to CDMA switching, call waiting bugs worked out etc.
    Anyone know when the next OS version's coming out?
    Also, anyone get EVDO in the Montreal area? I get EVDO in Vancouver, never checked in Ottawa or Toronto, but just 1X in Montreal.
    01-17-08 09:16 AM
    UPDATE - installed the just released Bell 8830 software version 4.2.2.196 last night - still doesn't fix the issue...so it's back to the original shipping 4.2.2.66 yet again...
    03-11-08 08:42 AM
    hey i'm having the same problem .. do you know where I can get the older 4.2.2.66 software?
    04-06-08 11:35 AM
    PM me your email and/or MSN Messenger details & I'll send it to you.
    04-06-08 10:37 PM
    wow thats some bad luck bud... gd luck.
    04-06-08 10:57 PM
    PM me your email and/or MSN Messenger details & I'll send it to you.
    That dude's got othe issues besides an OS problem. He most likely bought a broken or stolen phone. He's been popping threads everywhere and people are telling him/her the same thing over and over again. That's what they get for shooping eBay.
    04-07-08 08:30 AM
    Recently had a similar problem and here's quickly resolved my issue:

Under my settings, my phone was defined to utilize my global card for network vs. 1EX mode. Once I manually changed the setting to only 1EX, my phone no longer kept searching for a connection...wearing my battery out!

Hope this helps.
    04-08-08 01:03 PM
    In Toronto as of this evening. Phone worked fine until about 90 miles out, then it suddenly started searching for networks. I have gotten some text messages on and off, and others have not arrived at all (had to borrow a colleague's iPhone which is working just fine off the Rogers network here.)

Tried everything suggested here, except the *228 upgrade because I cant' get a dial tone to phone to get it. People who phone me get the voice mail which I cannot retrieve because I'm being told that the calls cannot be completed. Also on a Verizon plan with a WE8830.

Leaving from here to Sydney (Australia) in a couple more days. please, PLEASE tell me that this phone will work in Australia and I didn't just spend an awful lot of money to upgrade to useless when I could've kept the phone I had and bought phone cards to call home with....
    04-11-08 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD