I just got my first Blackberry, but I'm a little confused as to where I can actually find and download a application or file that would let me read incoming simplified chinese email and respond in chinese as well. When I search on crackberry.com all I get are dictionaries.

If someone could point me in a general direction or give a weblink that would be great!

Thanks!
    06-24-08 06:33 PM
    I downloaded 8830 OS 4.5.0.51 from a torrent site and installed it. I removed the vendor.xml file, and was given the option to install Japanese support and Chinese simplified and/or traditional character sets. In installed both. When the installation was done, my 8830 could display Chinese and Japanese, but I still cannot input. I have no idea why. I went to OPTIONS, then LANGUAGE and tried to change both Language and Input Language, but the only options I have are English, French and Spanish.

I checked the OPTIONS -- ABOUT to see what version I have.
    It says V4.5.0.33 Platform 3.2.0.30
    In ADVANCED OPTIONS -- APPLICATIONS it says I have installed:
    BB Japanese Characters and Font v 4.5
    BB Simplified Chinese Characters and Font v 4.5
    BB Traditional Chinese Characters and Font v 4.5

What went wrong? Is there any way to get Chinese input on an 8830? Were these phones not sold in Hong Kong, Singapore or China?
    11-02-08 09:52 PM
    In case anyone else is interested in using Chinese on the 8830, here's what I found out so far.

I visited many Blackberry hacking shops in Zhongguancun electronics area in Beijing only to find that there is NOT a Chinese input method available for the 8830.

It seems as if we will simply have to wait for RIM to release a version of the OS that includes Chinese support. But its been so long.... will they really release a 4.5 version of the software with Asian language input? Why would they release the phone as a 'World Model' when it lacks the ability to input Chinese?
    11-22-08 08:51 AM
    After several weeks, there's no replies or news regarding Chinese input on 8830 'world' phone. I was hoping that someone would give me some magically good news that Chinese input was now available!

RIM really had ought to take action- they labeled the 8830 as a 'world phone' but neglected to include Chinese language support (at least 1/5 of the entire world's population speaks Chinese) so I'd say its a rather important language.

Hoping for some good news
    12-07-08 09:01 AM
    After several weeks, there's no replies or news regarding Chinese input on 8830 'world' phone. I was hoping that someone would give me some magically good news that Chinese input was now available!

RIM really had ought to take action- they labeled the 8830 as a 'world phone' but neglected to include Chinese language support (at least 1/5 of the entire world's population speaks Chinese) so I'd say its a rather important language.

Hoping for some good news
    Do a search there is a thread on chinese support in this very section.
    12-07-08 10:37 AM
    I will echo the previous posts which bb 8830 labled "World Edition" but cannot input Chinese! My BB 8830 can read Chinese, but cannot input! I have been waiting for so long, and still have no clue where and how to do that. BTW, i am with Verizon wireless in US. thanks!
    01-09-09 01:02 PM
    It would appear that BlackBerry is not going to do anything about Input for Asian languages. At least not the ones everybody seems to want. Japanese & Chinese being some of the major ones. They either tout the BlackBerry Bold 9000 as your phone of choice if you want to have input support for these languages or tell you to get Namimail, which as far as I can tell is a service not an application exactly. So you'd be paying them a monthly fee to be able to do this. If anybody else has a solution for Input in (Japanese for me) East Asian Languages any help/cracks etc would be awesome
    03-13-09 11:45 AM
    I recently downloaded an OS 4. 5 version from the Blackberry site, but it too does NOT include Chinese input. it will display Chinese text nicely in all applications. But it does not allow for input.

I installed a Chinese text input editor called DXinput on the 8830. It allows the input of Chinese text in most applications EXCEPT SMS messages. So its not much use to me. I need to be able to send SMS messages in Chinese.

RIM should really address this issue. Its really false marketing and an oversight that they would release the 8830 World Phone and not include input for Chinese language. Very disappointing RIM. Are you listening?

If any one has luck with installing Chinese input on the 8830, please post it!!
    04-18-09 12:07 PM
    I just got my first Blackberry, but I'm a little confused as to where I can actually find and download a application or file that would let me read incoming simplified chinese email and respond in chinese as well. When I search on crackberry.com all I get are dictionaries.

If someone could point me in a general direction or give a weblink that would be great!

Thanks!
    Hello, I am trying to put chinese on my blackberry curve 8300. do you have a chinese software that will work on my phone? Alot of my friends send me text messages and i cant read. and i cant reply in chinese either. Can you help me out?
    05-26-09 10:59 PM
    I just spent the last few weeks going around with Verizon. They do not support chinese input on the 8830. They say it comes standard with the storm now though. They told me to go to Handango to buy a third party language pack or purchase from RIM. I don't see anywhere on the RIM site where you can purchase it and the one on Handango seems to be for the palm OS.
    06-01-09 10:52 AM
    Hey Guys,

You need to install the East Asian package to get it to work. Search for it on Google.
    12-06-11 08:46 PM
    There was no such thing as an East Asian Package for this phone. I searched for ages and NEVER found anything at all. I eventually gave the phone away because without Chinese input, it was useless to me. And by the time I had waited around for Chinese input to appear, the phone had devalued to almost nothing. Very disppointing release by RIM. I like Blackberry phones, but a World Edition phone without Chinese or Japanese input is laughable. Hopefully they will not make such blunders in the future.
    02-10-12 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD