What's the max attachment size and how can I change it? I tried sending an attachment that was around 4 MB and it said "The selected file exceeds the maximum allowed attachment size." I Googled and searched the forums and I couldn't find anything.

How long does it take for a normal email to get to your BB? It's taking about fifteen minutes for messages to get to my BB from my Comcast and personal server email accounts. My BB email account is nearly instant.
    Last edited by trinston; 06-21-07 at 06:18 PM.
    06-21-07 06:12 PM
    Now my messages are taking up to half an hour to get pushed to my BB. Any ideas? I thought the push was close to instant
    06-21-07 10:22 PM
    POP3 is not a push. It's a pull so it's WAY slower.
    06-21-07 10:32 PM
    There's no way I could speed it up?
    06-22-07 03:25 PM
    Okey Dokey now I'm confused(don't worry happens a lot) what is the difference between push and pull and why is one faster than the other? Thanks
    06-22-07 04:23 PM
    Push=Blackberry email servers are in constant contact with your email servers and as your server email account receives email it gets "pushed" to your handheld.

Pull=Blackberry email servers check the POP3 account every few minutes and then if there is email it forwards it to your handheld. I don't think there's a way to change the time delay this has on it.
    06-22-07 06:05 PM
    [QUOTE=trinston;13825]What's the max attachment size and how can I change it? I tried sending an attachment that was around 4 MB and it said "The selected file exceeds the maximum allowed attachment size." I Googled and searched the forums and I couldn't find anything.

Did you ever get find an answer to this?
    09-08-08 08:16 AM
    I personally have comcast, and I can tell you the issue is with comcast. When I had my windows mobile phone and I wanted to check my comcast account, it took 10 minutes to get my email from the server. You best solution is to get either a gmail, aol, or yahoo account and forward your comcast to that address. I hope that this helps you...
    09-08-08 12:25 PM
    [QUOTE=vinndy;698059]
    What's the max attachment size and how can I change it? I tried sending an attachment that was around 4 MB and it said "The selected file exceeds the maximum allowed attachment size." I Googled and searched the forums and I couldn't find anything.

Did you ever get find an answer to this?
    I found this information in the
    "Administration Guide, BlackBerry Professional Software for Microsoft Exchange, Version 4.1 SP4"
    Controlling the size of attachments that users can receive on their BlackBerry devices
    By default, the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software does not limit the file size of an attachment that is embedded in a message or retrieved through a link. The BlackBerry Professional Software sends data to the BlackBerry device in packets that are no larger than 64 KB; however, the BlackBerry Professional Software can send an unlimited number of packets. To control attachment file size, you can specify a maximum file size for attachments. You can also configure the maximum dimension for images.
    Suggested file sizes for attachments
    File format Suggested size
    Adobe� Acrobat� Versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Excel� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� PowerPoint� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Word Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Corel� WordPerfect� Versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 (2000), and 10.0 less than 2000 KB
    ASCII text less than 100 KB
    HTML less than 100 KB
    ZIP archives less than 2000 KB
    images less than 2000 KB
    audio less than 2000 KB
    MP3 less than 2000 KB
    Rich Text Format less than 2000 KB

Configure the maximum file size for attachments
    You can change the maximum file size of attachment file formats to control the amount of memory that the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software uses during the attachment conversion process. Consider changing the default configuration if the BlackBerry Attachment Service must respond to multiple users who request conversions for large or complex attachments (especially .pdf files and ASCII text files that are larger than 2 MB), or if it must respond to multiple users who request large or complex documents within the same period of time (0 to 10 minutes) while the BlackBerry Attachment Service processes large conversions.
    1. On the server that hosts the BlackBerry Professional Software, on the taskbar, click Start > BlackBerry Server Configuration.
    2. Click the Attachment Server tab.
    3. In the Distiller Settings section, in the Max. File Size (Kb) column, click the value for the distiller that you want to change.
    4. Type a value in kilobits.
    5. Click OK.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-08-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: formatting
    09-08-08 01:02 PM
    [QUOTE=JeffH;698811]
    I found this information in the
    "Administration Guide, BlackBerry Professional Software for Microsoft Exchange, Version 4.1 SP4"
    Controlling the size of attachments that users can receive on their BlackBerry devices
    By default, the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software does not limit the file size of an attachment that is embedded in a message or retrieved through a link. The BlackBerry Professional Software sends data to the BlackBerry device in packets that are no larger than 64 KB; however, the BlackBerry Professional Software can send an unlimited number of packets. To control attachment file size, you can specify a maximum file size for attachments. You can also configure the maximum dimension for images.
    Suggested file sizes for attachments
    File format Suggested size
    Adobe� Acrobat� Versions 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Excel� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� PowerPoint� Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Microsoft� Word Versions 97, 2000, 2003, 2007, and XP less than 2000 KB
    Corel� WordPerfect� Versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 (2000), and 10.0 less than 2000 KB
    ASCII text less than 100 KB
    HTML less than 100 KB
    ZIP archives less than 2000 KB
    images less than 2000 KB
    audio less than 2000 KB
    MP3 less than 2000 KB
    Rich Text Format less than 2000 KB

Configure the maximum file size for attachments
    You can change the maximum file size of attachment file formats to control the amount of memory that the BlackBerry� Attachment Service in the BlackBerry� Professional Software uses during the attachment conversion process. Consider changing the default configuration if the BlackBerry Attachment Service must respond to multiple users who request conversions for large or complex attachments (especially .pdf files and ASCII text files that are larger than 2 MB), or if it must respond to multiple users who request large or complex documents within the same period of time (0 to 10 minutes) while the BlackBerry Attachment Service processes large conversions.
    1. On the server that hosts the BlackBerry Professional Software, on the taskbar, click Start > BlackBerry Server Configuration.
    2. Click the Attachment Server tab.
    3. In the Distiller Settings section, in the Max. File Size (Kb) column, click the value for the distiller that you want to change.
    4. Type a value in kilobits.
    5. Click OK.
    I do not understand this. I have this problem. I have a gmail account linked to my Blackberry, and I can receive big (say, 4-5 MB attachments) through email all the time. But if I try to send an email with only a 3.1MB mp3 file attachment, I get this error about it being too big.

"The server that hosts...."
    "Blackberry Professional Software"?
    "Blackberry Attachment Service"?

What the heck are those? I have never logged into any on-line account to configure or manage my Blackberry. I have no idea where one is, or what the user name or password would be. Where do I go to access these things?
    03-07-09 11:11 AM
    The bottom line of all that text is that you as the user can't change the download file size limits. If you are on a BES, your BES admins can. If you are on BIS, your carrier can. If there is any other way to change the size limits, I'm unaware of it.
    03-07-09 02:21 PM
    JeffH - I work for Verizon Wireless, and so far I have yet to find where on the BIS we can modify or change the maximum size of an attachable file to an email that is being sent. From everything I have seen in the RIM Knowledge Base, it is about 3MB...If you or anyone else happens to come across a setting in the device where this can be changed, please post...thanks!
    07-17-09 02:37 PM
    wow this is really terrible. Why on earth would a "smartphone" not be able to send/retrieve files at any size.
    Well the L's keep stacking up on Blackberry, I thought the Blackberry was for e-mail, i didnt know it was just for SMALL e-mail & files.
    07-24-09 03:15 PM
    Answers for all your question are here:

Email messages received using a BlackBerry Internet Service account cannot exceed 8 MB, regardless of the size of the mailbox.

The 8 MB size limit includes overhead created by base64 encoding. After applying base64 encoding, the largest email message that can be sent using a BlackBerry Internet Service account is 5 MB. Multiple attachments are supported, however, individual attachments cannot exceed 3MB in size.

When an email message that is larger than 8 MB is sent to an email address that is associated with the BlackBerry Internet Service, the body of the email message will appear as:

Message truncated due to size.
    12-14-10 03:26 PM
    Email messages received using a BlackBerry Internet Service account cannot exceed 8 MB, regardless of the size of the mailbox.

The 8 MB size limit includes overhead created by base64 encoding. After applying base64 encoding, the largest email message that can be sent using a BlackBerry Internet Service account is 5 MB. Multiple attachments are supported, however, individual attachments cannot exceed 3MB in size.

When an email message that is larger than 8 MB is sent to an email address that is associated with the BlackBerry Internet Service, the body of the email message will appear as:

Message truncated due to size.
    12-14-10 03:28 PM
    I agree with tc.cararo. I bought the BlackBerry Tour Smartphone, expanded it with a 2 GB memory card, and paid $30/month for the unlimited data package through Verizon with the intention of working remotely on my BlackBerry and sending data and files back to my home computer. Now I find out that I've got a friggin 3 MB limit in filesize. What a bunch of crap!! A cheap picture can exceed 3 MB. I don't know if the IPhone has such limitations, but if not, it's a huge plus for the IPhone.
    12-30-10 07:05 PM
    I know this is an older thread, but the information is out there on how to get round the 2.3MB download limit for browsing, it may help the next person to find the thread. I would have put the link on, but as a newbie on this site, it won't let me.

0mietechsupport.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/unlimited-dl-size/
    03-17-11 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD