After searching the forum and finding that the magnet in the holster triggers "standby" or as some call it "sleep" mode, mine doesn't do it.

I have to manually lock the keyboard before inserting it into the VZW holster. It does have a magnet to keep the top latched down but it does not turn off the screen.

Is there a setting somewhere to control this?

HH
    08-21-07 03:06 PM
    Options/Security Options/General Settings/Lock Handheld Upon Holstering

I have this set to No and don't have any problems with keyboard entries using my holster. Even with it turned off the phone goes into "standby" when placed in the holster. You didn't say but I'm assuming you are having problems with the keyboard while holstered and this should not be even with this option turned off. I would take the phone back.
    08-21-07 07:13 PM
    You didn't say but I'm assuming you are having problems with the keyboard while holstered and this should not be even with this option turned off. I would take the phone back.
    Exactly.... The holster compresses the Convenience Key on the side and "Say a command" pops out..... have changed that key to Keyboard Lock now since I have to lock it every time before holstering.

The major PITA is that the screen stays lit when it's in the holster and runs the battery down. What I'm trying to determine is where the magnets should be located to trigger this sleep mode. You would think VZW would consult with BlackBerry in their holster designs (yes, mine has the Verizon logo, not the BB one) but then again you would also think that the salespeople would tell you that the GPS is disabled.

Does it matter which way the BB goes into the holster? I put mine in with the screen / trackball facing out.

This may be a holster design issue and there is nothing wrong with the phone. Trying to figure that out before returning the phone for another one only to find it's not a phone problem.

If it's the holster design (this one does not have a "slot" to protect the trackball) then VZW screwed up again.

HH
    08-22-07 08:35 AM
    Yep, the design is flawed. Received the new holster from BlackBerry and it now goes to "sleep" when inserted. Screen locks and backlight goes out.

Trackball groove built into the case and it is very soft. Much higher quality than the Verizon ****e....

Bottom line, stay away from the Verizon "leather" holster if you want the battery to last more than 8 hours.

HH
    Last edited by HoldHard; 08-28-07 at 08:59 AM.
    08-28-07 07:56 AM
    I have no problem with my BB holster from VZW either. It goes to sleep and doesn't wake up until removed. I've even pushed the convenience key to try to wake it up to no evail. Works just like it should on my 8830. Hmmmm...
    08-28-07 08:44 AM
    I've not read ALL the post here thus far. But, are you putting it in the case the RIGHT way round?
    08-28-07 12:10 PM
    I've not read ALL the post here thus far. But, are you putting it in the case the RIGHT way round?
    Navilyn,

I tried both ways (is there a third???) but it did not work either way..... very happy with the Blackberry holster.... puts my BB to sleep every time.

Close this if you like...

HH
    09-05-07 09:10 AM
    Is there an advantage to using the holster - rather than just leaving the BB on the desk - or in my pocketbook??
    Thanks, Ramona
    09-05-07 03:23 PM
    Do this, the flap on the case move it the felt side to the phone starting from the bottom to the top of the bb. If it don't shut the screen down at any point the bb has a problem. The case should shut the screen down no matter fwd or backword inserted into the case. Hope this help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-07 04:42 PM
    Do this, the flap on the case move it the felt side to the phone starting from the bottom to the top of the bb. If it don't shut the screen down at any point the bb has a problem. The case should shut the screen down no matter fwd or backword inserted into the case. Hope this help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It looks like my ranting has confused the situation..... let me see if I can clarify:

1. No matter how I put the BB in the Verizon case, the screen does not go dark, the keyboard does not lock.

2. Either way I put the BB into the case from Blackberry, it locks the keyboard and turns off the screen.

The only difference is the case. The BB functions like it is designed to function when inserted into the case from Blackberry, so it's not the device.

Hope this helps....

Is there an advantage to using the holster - rather than just leaving the BB on the desk - or in my pocketbook??
    Thanks, Ramona
    I prefer the BB on my hip due to habit. I've had cell phones there for years and recently a Windows Mobile PDA but now that the company is providing the BB, it goes there.

IMHO the holster provides device and screen protection. Your mileage may vary.

HH
    Last edited by HoldHard; 09-06-07 at 08:11 AM.
    09-06-07 08:08 AM
    So the holster does nothing special to boost battery life? Just a convenient place to carry it? Thanks.
    09-07-07 06:15 AM
    I know on my curve, i took the little circle magnet out of the "stock" case that came with the phone and glued it to the rear facing case i bought for $1.99 on ebay. You just need to make sure that the magnet is at the bottom of the phone, right around the "space" key!
    07-21-09 08:28 AM
    Here is the ultimate issue with phones not going into standby while in holster.

Not all Blackberyr cases have the magnets in the right place, and some 3rd party cases, (the verizon case for storm, curve, and tour being one) do have them. Here is what to look for...

Open the case and feel the interior. on the clip/belt side of the case you should find a small round metal hard spot slightly off center top to bottom, and near the end ON BOTH ENDS. This is a rare earth magnet, which sets off the sensor in the phone. If you look at the phone, the area of the sensor is about 1/4 inch off the center line, and is in the base of the phone, just below the charging points on the back, or just below the space key if looking at the front. The magnets are on BOTH ends so matter how you put the phone in the holster (there are four ways, two facing out and two facing in), the magnets tell the sensor to put the phone into standby.

If your current case or one you are purchasing does not have these, Here is the fix.

1) Go to a hobby/craft store and purchase two 3/8" rare earth magnets, also called by some "super" magnets. They should have a magnetic rating of "10" on the card, if it's indicated. I paid $2.99 for six of these at my local Hobby Lobby.

2) use scotch tape to position the magnets on the outside of the belt side of your case, about 1 inch from the bottom or the top, and about 1/4-1/2 inch from the end. Put the phone in the case, and see if it goes into standby, then wakes up when you remove it. If this works, mark the spot. If not, move the magnet slightly and retry.

3) Using a sharp knife (like an exacto or a shop blade) cut a cross into the cover material, large enough to slip in the battery.

4) pull back the leather material, and cut into the cardboard underneath deep enough to remove it. Most cases are simply two layers of material with cardboard in between. The idea is to cut a cavity into the cardboard for the magnet.

5) Take out the cardboard, and insert the magnet. Now press on the cover where you have cut to press the magnet into the interior of the case so the outside cover joins back together. This should cause a slight bump in the inside. Don't worry, it won;t hurt the phone.

6) Use some all purpose cement to seal the cuts in the cover and hold the battery in place. It won't look perfect, but since it is on the side you will have against your belt/handbag anyway, no one will notice.

The entire process took me about 20 minutes.

You now have a case that works with your Blackberry!
    02-17-10 12:25 AM
    Thanks for the info peeps!
    03-06-10 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD