Hello,

I am looking for the 4.5 OS for my 8830 WE. When I go to Verizon, it tells me that the most recent upgrade was the 4.2. How do I go about getting the 4.5. Please Help!
    12-29-08 09:53 AM
    Verizon never officially released a 4.5 version for the 8830. Do some forum search's and you can get a LOT of background on this.
    12-29-08 10:03 AM
    Go to Blackberry's website. It's on their website, to **** with verizon!! commies!!

anyway, it's under device software on the homepage, but you first have to download and install the application loader software, and the software will do the OS download and install..
    12-29-08 10:10 AM
    I will give this a try.
    12-29-08 10:26 AM
    go you will get what you need.

na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/#tab_tab_update
    12-29-08 10:30 AM
    I will give this a try.
    Please report back if this works for you. The last time I tried it, a couple of months ago, I eventually got to a screen that said 4.5 hadn't been released for the 8830, despite what it says on the front page. If this works now, it will be significant news.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 10:35 AM
    this is all I can see about it at this point

na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/#tab_tab_8800
    12-29-08 11:03 AM
    I will let you know if this works for me.

Thanks Again!
    12-29-08 11:26 AM
    please do, I'm very curious now to find out.....
    12-29-08 11:29 AM
    I don't see any way to download OS updates on blackberry.com now. I remember I used to, but now all they have is a link to open the application loader and check online. I really hope someone finds this since I hear Sprint won't be releasing 4.5 for the 8830 WE ever.
    12-29-08 12:59 PM
    I don't see any way to download OS updates on blackberry.com now. I remember I used to, but now all they have is a link to open the application loader and check online. I really hope someone finds this since I hear Sprint won't be releasing 4.5 for the 8830 WE ever.
    Go here:
    OS 4.5.0.101 for the 8830 (CDMA) found online | BlackBerry Rocks!

Read the blogs on how to install a new OS and how to recover if it goes kaplunk.
    12-29-08 01:09 PM
    In accordance with our new policy on beta links, I'm not going to delete the 4.5.0.101 post. Be sure you make a backup before experimenting with unsupported software. You assume all risk from using it, including the risk that it may be incompatible with your BES if you're installing on a work device. Neither your carrier nor your IT dept will help you. The process for recovering from a dead BlackBerry is found in the BlackBerry 101 lessons, and in the How TO & FAQ forum.

12-29-08 01:20 PM
    Go here:
    OS 4.5.0.101 for the 8830 (CDMA) found online | BlackBerry Rocks!

Read the blogs on how to install a new OS and how to recover if it goes kaplunk.
    Gotta put the full disclaimer in there per the rules. It is also a good idea for you to CYA.
    12-29-08 06:16 PM
    i got it to work couple days ago. don't see why it wouldn't work for you
    12-29-08 10:36 PM
    installed 4.5.0.101 yesterday, and everything's fine - so far.
    12-30-08 08:02 AM
    4.5.0.101 working great here as well. Although, not downloaded from Blackberry.com.

I will say that one of the most obvious issues that I have is minor, at best. While in a BBMessenger conversation, the conversation will end with no warning and sitting idle. It has not ended with new messages waiting, yet, though - only after I've received a message and read that message will BB Messenger end the conversation for no apparent reason. Like I said, minor...
    12-30-08 09:05 AM
    4.5.0.101 working great here as well. Although, not downloaded from Blackberry.com.

I will say that one of the most obvious issues that I have is minor, at best. While in a BBMessenger conversation, the conversation will end with no warning and sitting idle. It has not ended with new messages waiting, yet, though - only after I've received a message and read that message will BB Messenger end the conversation for no apparent reason. Like I said, minor...
    I have not had this happen. I've left conversation going over night and even a few that I kept for a few days before I deleted them. I have no issues with the BB Messenger.

- Dan M
    12-30-08 09:25 AM
    I have not had this happen. I've left conversation going over night and even a few that I kept for a few days before I deleted them. I have no issues with the BB Messenger.

- Dan M
    Well, that's good to hear - maybe I can just have the books for messenger resent?! Is there a way to "reinstall" the BB Messenger client?
    12-30-08 05:30 PM
    My experience with the installation of 4.5.0.101 was excellent, following the instructions on the CrackBerry blog. No problems at all. I called my tech guy for the BES and he thought there would be no issues with the BES, but that some apps could be lost: media, ringtones, etc. In fact, the installer backed up everything, wiped the device, then reinstalled; some apps had to be reactivated and one required a version update. All my data was retained (expense manager, for example). My email, calendar, and contacts were all restored. I wasn't using any external ringtones; all the special settings were retained for the internal ones, including speed dials. Everything about the fonts is better and clearer. My personal JPG desktop went away, still deciding whether to re-upload it. The default browser is great; I deleted Opera Mini; the track ball becomes a mouse pointer in the browser, so no more hopping from link to link, just scroll to the one you want and click. If you are a GPS person, the internal GPS works with BB Maps (not Google Maps, though).

The OS does seem to require more memory, but it also seems to use it better.

$.02
    12-30-08 06:34 PM

The OS does seem to require more memory, but it also seems to use it better.

$.02
    That is due to the Docs to go. That portion of the OS is 2MB by itself. If you register and do the update to include the option to work on excel spreadsheets it jumps to 2.5MB. So bottom line is if you do not need to edit your office docs and can deal with only viewing them in an email attachment you can free up close to 2.5MB of memory.
    12-31-08 04:48 PM
    spider: Have you had any troubles with Sprint Navigation or NFL Mobile Live or any other Sprint-specific apps getting hosed?

My experience with the installation of 4.5.0.101 was excellent... ...If you are a GPS person, the internal GPS works with BB Maps (not Google Maps, though).
    JimR: Good to hear yours did not get hosed.
    01-05-09 02:42 PM
    I have been wanting to update so I can use DocsToGo... However, I have lots of stuff I don't want to lose ... Can I get the link back to the Crackberry Blog regarding the process for beta updating? Thanks

01-05-09 03:05 PM
    Does anyone have any experience using the 4.5.x.x betas on the 8830 overseas? Just wondering if it works with GSM okay...supposed to be doing a lot of traveling this year.
    01-06-09 01:16 PM
    had no problem and everything seems to be working fine
    01-06-09 09:29 PM
    I am having a B***H of a time installing 4.5.0.77 My desktop manager cant seem to find it. I have uninstalled and re-installed the file multiple times now. any advice?
    01-07-09 12:06 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD