I live in a fringe area where the verizon network is oftentimes weak. I am used to getting only 1 or 2 bars signal strength. With version .176 the 8830 would always maintain call connection, even if the signal was weak. However, with version .196 all weak signal calls get dropped. This is a major issue. I have done this upgrade on 2 phones, each of us traveling in different areas, so it's not an issue with a particular phone or calling area. I have spoken to Verizon, and Rim, and got nowhere. So here I am hoping someone can help me roll back the software to version .176. What I can't figure out is how to delete the new software using the desktop application loader. The BB software 4.2 is greyed out and can't be de-selected. Any suggestions?
    06-19-08 08:33 PM
    I had a different problem with 4.2.2.196 and rolled back to 4.2.2.176. Assuming you kept 4.2.2.176 installed on your pc when you installed 4.2.2.196; that is, you didn't overwrite or delete 4.2.2.176, then you simply go into control panel, add/remove programs and delete 4.2.2.196 from your pc. Connect the bb to the USB, run desktop manager and Applications Loader. It will ask if you want to downgrade to an earlier version. Say yes and let it make a backup. Click the advanced tab and tell it to back up your 3rd party apps if you have any. Then let it run. It's easier than it sounds.

There's also a link here by Pete6 re how to roll back from 4.5. It's the same principle. Here it is: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/dow...st-case-43157/
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-19-08 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added link to Pete6's roll back post
    06-19-08 09:29 PM
    I'm a police officer, and while inside our department, my signal is very weak. I recently upgraded to .196 and have not noticed the issue you are talking about. I wonder if they changed something with your local cell tower recently?
    06-20-08 12:10 PM
    Sandman333 makes a very good point that I didn't think about when I went racing down the roll-back path...you should definitely update your PRL via *22899 before you do the roll-back. It's easy, it won't hurt anything if it doesn't help, and it might fix your problem.
    Last edited by JeffH; 06-20-08 at 12:27 PM. Reason: clarity
    06-20-08 12:26 PM
    I have figured out the drop call problem. While doing the software upgrades, I had removed some of the options as recommended to increase memory. The issue was not the upgrade itself. It was deslecting one of the following:
    DOD Root certificates and Blacberry MDS runtime. I do not use a BAS, so I assumed it was safe to remove as suggested. Do not remove these options!!
    I will also post on the 'increase free memory' thread.
    Thanks to those who responded.
    06-23-08 09:18 AM
    I am on a BES, and have never had DOD Root Certificates and Blackberry MDS Runtime selected. Knowing what those two modules supposedly do, it's hard to imagine how their absence could translate into dropped calls. I'm certainly not going to argue with you about a solution that worked for you, but I'd be surprised if your results were generally applicable. I was on 4.2.2.196 for about a week before I noticed an error with my address book. I didn't experience any dropped calls during that time, but I have since rolled back to 4.2.2.176 and am trying to solve my uncaught exception error.
    06-23-08 09:53 AM
    I am very pleased to hear you have your problem corrected.

For clarity, you are currently running 4.2.2.196 and you have been dealing with reception issues.

Rolling back to .176, which used to work fine, exhibited the reception issue after the tuning recommendations were applied.

Without the tuning instructions, the reception is normal.

I appreciate the feedback. I do not use the cell network so I was not aware of the impact.

Your testing has narrowed it to DOD or MDS Runtime.

Correct so far?
    06-23-08 09:56 AM
    Stoner,
    That is correct. I had upgrade both phones from .176 to .196. At the same time, I deselected the options for DOT Root Certificates and MDS Runtime as suggested in the memory thread for increasing memory capacity. I did not see a need for it, as we do not use BAS. After realizing the degradation of signal, I rolled back one phone to .176, thinking it was the software upgrade. The reception did not improve. At that point I added these 2 program options back on the phones, one currently running at .176 and the other at .196 . In both cases the problem was resolved. No more dropped calls.
    Lesson? Rather than making a ton of changes simultaneously, do software changes incrementally, checking as you go.
    06-23-08 08:34 PM
    In reference to Jeffs comments above, there is a one point worth mentioning here. This drop call issue ONLY applies to areas where the signal less than perfect, say one or 2 bars. Those that live in large metro areas where the signal is strong, you will probably not notice any increase in dropped calls. When I had full signal strenth, no problems. For those that make calls in fringe areas where the signal is less than perfect, like we do, take my advise and save yourself the frustration.
    06-23-08 08:46 PM
    I'm spending my summer living in a condo on the beach. It's tough duty, but somebody's got to do it...anyway, I have a hurricane-proof (supposedly) condo all around me and nothing but the Atlantic Ocean to my east. I range from 2-4 bars, depending on where I stand in the condo. And I'm guaranteed to get a dropped call if I walk away from the balcony into the inner part of the condo. Still running 4.2.2.176, without the DoD and MDS Runtime modules. I've been attributing my dropped calls to the lack of a floating cell tower off the beach. I don't want to touch my OS until I've had a couple of days of stable operation, and until I get my continuing address book problem solved. Then I'll install those two modules and see if they make a difference to me. I have never had them installed before, and I still don't see how they could make any difference, but I've been surprised before. That's usually when I learn something!
    06-23-08 08:55 PM
    Jeff,
    I think you'll be mildy surprised at the improvement of cellular reception by adding these modules to your phone. Good luck.
    06-23-08 08:59 PM
    WTF? You think DoD certificates and MD5 runtime modules improve reception. That's funny!@!@!

And what the frack is BAS? :LOL:
    06-23-08 09:48 PM
    In other words, the department of defense certificates and the MDS (for BES) logically should have nothing to do with cell reception. This may be the placebo effect . . .
    06-23-08 10:00 PM
    Sorry for the mis spelling, BES service. Yea placebo effect on separate phones operated by separate people. Don't belittle me for providing good information. IF you don't understand it, then don't judge it!
    06-23-08 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD