You can call the provider for the unlock code for your BB phone.

Others, and I did this even if your not a customer of that service.

They will email the code in a week or less. Some have received the code instantly.

You can do it yourself for free.

Call customer service of the locking company.

Simply ask for the "subsidy unlock code". You are traveling to Italy.

This works 100% of the time.

Definitely don't pay for an unlock!!! That's just like burning money.

Cheers
    Last edited by ant17; 08-30-08 at 06:49 AM.
    02-22-08 05:46 AM
    Right, but aren't there a list of restrictions that determine who can and can not retrieve an unlock code from a carrier? Isn't that why unlocking it through a third party is desirable, because you don't have to meet the criteria that the carrier puts forth and wait a week?
    02-22-08 06:14 AM
    I've done it both ways, and they are for different purposes. If you are trying to unlock a large number of phones, good luck getting your provider to go along with that.
    However if you are unlocking one or two for personal use, I would contact the provider first and see if they will do it for you.
    Different strokes for different folks.

-Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-08 06:37 AM
    Right, but aren't there a list of restrictions that determine who can and can not retrieve an unlock code from a carrier? Isn't that why unlocking it through a third party is desirable, because you don't have to meet the criteria that the carrier puts forth and wait a week?
    I got two phones unlocked,... one as customer, one as a non customer of the service that locked it.

One I waited a week,the other I waited 2 days. BOTH were free.

As eakeller pointed out, if you try to get a dozen unlocked,it probably wont happen.
    02-22-08 05:31 PM
    Ant, good topic.

FYI, if you tell the company that you want it unlocked for international travel, it's usually seen as a valid reason for them to provide the code. Worst thing they can do is say no.

I've had really good luck with getting ATT to provide codes for me. There's a chance it's because I'm a Premier/business customer, but I don't know for sure. I don't ask too many questions.

Good luck to anyone doing the same.

-eric

02-22-08 09:36 PM
    I wouldn't count on getting an unlock code if you're not a customer of the particular carrier that locked it.

Just because someone has a business of unlocking BB's doesn't mean they are a troll. They provide a service and it's worth the money when there is no other way.
    02-22-08 10:02 PM
    I was going by my personal recent experience.

I paid 4 services to unlock my 8310.

Every single one failed.

I then called att. I am not, and never was an att customer.

They emailed me the code in a week.
    02-22-08 10:04 PM
    You should never be receiving unsolicited Private Messages from other Members in the forums looking to sell their services or products to you for their personal gain - be it unlocking BBs or otherwise.

When it comes to posting in the public forums, the rule of thumb is you can't post for your own personal gain. It's all stated in the sites Posting Rules and Guidelines. If someone recommends a product/service and they are not tied to it/don't make anything from it, it's seen as a helpful service. If someone pumps up their products, it's really trying to take advantage of free advertising and the community.

If you ever find this is the case, you should let a moderator or myself know so we can address it.
    ekafara and bbman93 like this.
    02-22-08 10:10 PM
    Thanks,

I was hoping this forum had such rules.

There is indeed at least one person doing just that, and even advertising his business openly in these forums.

Then calling me a lier because I advised posters not to pay for unlocking.

thanks again
    Last edited by ant17; 05-25-08 at 03:55 PM.
    02-22-08 10:13 PM
    Most forums, including this one, don't allow that. However, that doesn't mean that one should never pay for an unlock. Carriers may be changing their policies, I'm not sure. In the past you had to be a customer in good standing. I'm sure it depends on the particular carrier too.

That being said, it doesn't mean that paying for a legitimate unlock service is bad. There are reputable ones out there. There are also, dishonest ones too. Good luck!
    02-22-08 10:19 PM
    There's at least one lawsuit against companies that lock phones, that belong entirely to customers (ie. no discount or promotion).

Maybe thats why they are unlocking. They did mine.
    02-22-08 10:21 PM
    Keep in mind most people receive a deep discount on the phone when signing a contract. Will be interesting to see where the lawsuit goes.
    02-22-08 10:23 PM
    Keep in mind most people receive a deep discount on the phone when signing a contract. Will be interesting to see where the lawsuit goes.
    People receive a discount because the carrier bought a batch of phones from the company and subsidizes the price for the customer, they make this back by only allowing 'new' customers to buy them when signing a 'new' contract. They lock the phones, because well, they can, they order the batch from BB or wherever, have them branded and lock them.

Anyway, I received my unlock code free from At&t in 20 minutes (I do travel to Mexico and that was the reason I gave). My friend received two unlock codes from T-Mo within 24 hours of requesting each.

eR
    02-23-08 10:57 AM
    Here's how I see the economics of it:>

The carrier discounts the phone because you are locked into a contract. That's still true if its unlocked, so the only issue is "losing international fees". For personal users we're never going to use a phone on roaming because it's extortionate, hence they might as well give us a code. The reason that they are of course so high, is that lots of people have a 3rd party pay their bills (usually their company), so they're not going to ask for unlock.

As for me I travel to the UK a bit - I actually have a seperate phone and always just order a sim card. I would of course prefer to roam on my bberry, but the roaming fees are extortionate because there's total price indifference from the business user.
    02-23-08 12:47 PM
    And for those of you watching at home, T-Mo requires that you be a customer at least 121 days before they dish out an unlock code.

Meanwhile, AT&T has a 90 day waiting period before they give you the code via phone or email. More right after these commercials.
    02-23-08 01:06 PM
    T-mo emailed mine the very next day.(customer)

ATT waited a week.(non customer)
    02-23-08 01:25 PM
    Called Tmo just now.

And the waiting begins...
    02-23-08 01:26 PM
    ATT can give you an unlock code immediately. They initially told me it would take 2-3 days. I knew better and told them so. As someone who has travelled around the globe you need to know these things. They gave me the code after about a 20 minute conversation. Be polite and be informed, it can have huge rewards.
    02-23-08 01:35 PM
    I thought T-Mo required a 90 day waiting period (aka being a customer)..

I as well received my unlock from At&t within 20 mins...

Friend on T-Mo took 24 hrs
    02-23-08 01:43 PM
    Just so everyone understands, I don't want this thread to get out of hand, like the other one, similar topic, and content...

I'm just saying, you've been given fair warning.
    02-23-08 01:49 PM
    I thought T-Mo required a 90 day waiting period (aka being a customer)..

I as well received my unlock from At&t within 20 mins...

Friend on T-Mo took 24 hrs
    That may just be a guideline, bc they gave me mine in a day.(t mo)
    02-23-08 02:37 PM
    They will give it to you in a day but you have to be a customer for at least 90 days. I've seen people turned down because they hadn't been a customer for long enough.
    02-23-08 06:15 PM
    I'm confused, what is the benefit of getting an unlocking code? What is it used for?

02-23-08 06:27 PM
    The purpose of having it unlocked is so that you can use your phone with a different provider.
    02-23-08 07:17 PM
    thanks for the info cindy
    02-24-08 02:47 AM
1,342 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD