Hey guys I haven't been able to use my sprint smartview for a few days now to get on internet usin my curve as a modem. Whenever I click the connect button I get an error msg sayin "Error with PPP connection: 678" and when I click on more details it brings up the help program for sprint smartview and under the error 678 it says "The remote computer did not respond". Can anyone plz help me out here? What does it mean?

I got version 2.22 of smartview. It first happened friday n now I can't connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 02:50 PM
    have you upgraded your handheld OS recently ? ? I got the same message today when I tryed to connect but my wifes phone connected no problem .

Posted from my CrackalackinBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 03:11 PM
    It seems like quite a few people are having the same issues with error 678. If you do a search on this board you'll find some very recent issues on another thread on this.

I haven't been able to connect since Friday. It's frustrating.....
    09-20-09 08:51 PM
    Yeah I upgraded my os last weekend but I think it worked fine after that like once or twice that I connected.

Was there an answer given to this problem on the board?

And I haven't connected since thursday nite.

09-20-09 11:31 PM
    got this from my sprint nextell rep that handles our business account:

"Sprint is starting to crack down on anyone using their Blackberry's as a modem with the 'Unlimited date plan', Sprint is starting to lock out phones as they find clients using them as a modem. The only way you can actually use your blackberry as a modem, without getting it locked out, is purchasing a 49.99 a month "tethering fee" or use third party software
    09-21-09 10:46 AM
    In the how to section there's a thread just under the stickies explaining what the error could mean

09-21-09 10:56 AM
    got this from my sprint nextell rep that handles our business account:

"Sprint is starting to crack down on anyone using their Blackberry's as a modem with the 'Unlimited date plan', Sprint is starting to lock out phones as they find clients using them as a modem. The only way you can actually use your blackberry as a modem, without getting it locked out, is purchasing a 49.99 a month "tethering fee" or use third party software
    So basically the unlimited data plan I pay for each month won't get me modem usage anymore? WTH? I have been using this for over 2 yrs and just when I renewed my contract a few months ago, they assured me unlimited data plan meant I can use it as a modem!

09-21-09 05:10 PM
    nope.....they cut you gyus off....so much for sprint customer friendly rebound
    09-21-09 05:15 PM
    Does anyone know how you use a 3rd party software?
    09-21-09 05:21 PM
    to do what access tethering?
    09-21-09 05:29 PM
    Yes, access tethering.
    09-21-09 05:33 PM
    I am having the same issue. Has anyone gotten a 3rd party application to work?
    09-23-09 12:15 PM
    So basically the unlimited data plan I pay for each month won't get me modem usage anymore? WTH? I have been using this for over 2 yrs and just when I renewed my contract a few months ago, they assured me unlimited data plan meant I can use it as a modem!

Trust me. When you pay for "unlimited data", its strictly, browsing from your handset. Its just that you've been "using" (read stealing) it all this time with out getting caught. So the network caught you. Accept that you had it for free all this time, and move on.

09-23-09 11:23 PM
    Tetherberry is a 3rd party app that should work. Just do a search on it. Nice software, a little expensive but it's only a one time purchase. You have to watch your data usage with it since it uses your BIS data.
    09-24-09 05:22 AM
    why would you think using ur phone as a modem would be free??? unlimited data is for your DEVICE only...so SPRINT isn't to blame...they're just policing for cheaters who shouldn't be using said service unless they pay for tethering....try MIFI..heeelllllloooo
    09-24-09 06:06 AM
    I'm tethered to SprintView right now typing this post...still works for me. For now. I haven't really used it for long periods of time, just testing to see if it's still working now & then. Only planned on using it for when I had zero wi-fi access for the laptop, like when I visit the family down in the Blue Ridge Mtn area of VA.
    09-24-09 08:43 AM
    why would you think using ur phone as a modem would be free??? unlimited data is for your DEVICE only...so SPRINT isn't to blame...they're just policing for cheaters who shouldn't be using said service unless they pay for tethering....try MIFI..heeelllllloooo
    That's a load of crap, when I signed up for my plan in the Sprint Store, I talked to Jose, the store manager, about phone as a modem on my Unlimited Everything Plan to use when I'm at work.

He was the one who told me about SmartView, so I wouldn't have to worry about setting any up to get it to work. I never got it to work over Bluetooth using that program and just set it up manually, but that's another story.

I only reason I got the plan was because I was told, apparently falsely, that I could use my blackberry has a modem. If they think they'll be charging me a cancellation fee when I call and cancel they have another thing coming.

But he also lied about the 'great' coverage in my town, unless by great coverage he meant 1-2 bars outdoors, I had to buy a $100 Airave to get any signal in the house, plus $4.99 a month to use it. The way Sprint treats their subscribers no wonder they have been hemorrhaging customers.
    09-25-09 08:21 AM
    That's a load of crap, when I signed up for my plan in the Sprint Store, I talked to Jose, the store manager, about phone as a modem on my Unlimited Everything Plan to use when I'm at work...But he also lied about the 'great' coverage in my town, unless by great coverage he meant 1-2 bars outdoors, I had to buy a $100 Airave to get any signal in the house, plus $4.99 a month to use it. The way Sprint treats their subscribers no wonder they have been hemorrhaging customers.
    My friend was told the same thing by her salesperson, on both counts. That the modem feature was included in her Unlimited Data package AND she was told it had good coverage where she lives. Which is isn't. The coverage is sheizen (or ever how you spell it.)! She hasn't bought the Airwave thing. She might have to.

Sprint better watch themselves.
    09-25-09 02:30 PM
    Yep I guess we were all sold that load of "!@#$"... I was told that with the "UNLIMITED" data plan I could use the phone as a modem feature around the clock... Infact after using it for a week or so, I even called up sprint just to check and see if what I was doing was "okay" because it seemed TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE... and what do you know... low and behold.

So in my opinion there ARE grounds for a class action lawsuit, because essentially this is false advertising and a desperate hailmary by sprint to gain customers money and then rip services away from them that they thought were to come with the "UNLIMITED" data plan... I'm not shocked that they are "cracking down" on people using the phone as a modem feature that they sold them and said was included in the "UNLIMITED" DATA PLAN, but they are practicing false advertising... and don't be surprised if something interesting comes out of this... BUT THEN AGAIN I'm sure they have all the time and resources to deal with it... when lowly sniveling "customers" come a crying with our ridiculous claims of being sold something other than the truth.
    The good news is... I'm sure there's a work around... sprint sucks.
    09-28-09 01:16 AM
    Well, I think some of the arguement here is that the Sprint Manual for BB's actually tells you how to use modem mode...

...but the rebuttal would be to never trust what a Sprint rep tells you, as it is clearly defined in your terms of service.
    09-28-09 06:21 AM
    Well, I think some of the arguement here is that the Sprint Manual for BB's actually tells you how to use modem mode...

...but the rebuttal would be to never trust what a Sprint rep tells you, as it is clearly defined in your terms of service.
    Yeah. You're correct. They should just have a sales clerk that says, "I don't know." as they hand you a copy of the Terms of Service?

Although we shouldn't trust the sales rep, likewise, we shouldn't just roll over and do nothing against SO MANY being LIED to. How does one propose getting the ball rolling on this protest (Whether it be a lawsuit or some other form of action)? It may not bring any big bucks but it might make Sprint think twice before screwing one more customer.
    09-28-09 07:32 AM
    Well, did anyone really get screwed here, besides Sprint?

We weren't being charged for the tethering that was being done...they just closed the loophole.
    09-28-09 07:48 AM

We weren't being charged for the tethering that was being done...they just closed the loophole.
    Think of it this way. Let's say you wanted to lease a car. But while shopping around, a sales rep at a dealership (We'll call it "SPRINT Automotive") told you, "If you lease your car from our dealership, and pay for our Unlimited Service Package, you get unlimited oil changes, unlimited lube, unlimited tune up, unlimited tire rotation and unlimited car washes for two years." So, you sign the two year plan to lease the car from them.
    A month goes by and you take it in for your unlimited whatever service you need and the mechanic says, "Oh, no. You must've misunderstood. That service costs an extra $45 a month." What would you think? I doubt you would be thinking. "Gee. It's a good thing they caught that or I would be screwing Sprint Automotive." No, you'd think, "False advertising", "I got ripped off.", "Greedy, lying corporate toadies!", or "Someone should sue!"

I'm not saying you're wrong but that's how it is. Like it or not. Loophole or not. People are being lied to, up front, in order to get them to pay for these "unlimited data packages" and more money out of them.
    09-28-09 08:30 AM

It's kinda odd to say that sprint got screwed... unless you work for them.
    09-28-09 09:46 AM
    i love ppl discussin ideas and gettin into arguments....however, i would love it if someone actually posted helpful stuff.

but yeah....today im gettin internet installed in my house so **** it. and yeah im gettin disappointed with sprint. sad too cuz i loved them. but..there aint nothin better at the moment. verizon is too expensive and wont take me back lol and everyone else is too crappy signal here.
    09-28-09 11:43 AM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD