I finally did it. I spilled a glass of juice and as I went to grab it, a very small bit went into my Curve. I am just sick.

The part that seems to be affected is the trackball. It still rolls all around the screen, but when you push it down to enter whatever it is you are doing, it doesn't do anything. That was Friday night. Well, beginning yesterday, it started slowly coming back. I was excited! Upon the advice of a friend, I put the hairdryer on it (just air, barely any heat) and now it has stopped again. So I have probably ruined it!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am currently a Cellular One Customer and I LOVE THEM! They recently were bought out by AT&T but I don't have to change over to them until my contract runs out in February of 2009. Thing is, they cost a lot more for the same package I have now and I don't want to change over until I have to! It would be the easy fix as far as getting a new BB, but I don't want to do that.

Just wondering if anyone has spilled anything in their Berry before and if so, what was your experience?

I can use the ENTER key to do what I need to do, but those of you who have the trackball can understand that it just isn't the same.

Thanks, Annie
    06-23-08 12:14 PM
    First, you should check the water damage indicator by your berry's battery.
    Then, you can stick it in a bowl of dry rice... it should suck out any water that may still be lurking in your berry and causing the trackball malfunctions.

You can also try searching; many people have had your same problem.

Best of Luck

P.S. Welcome to Crackberry!
    Last edited by LilCostello; 06-23-08 at 12:24 PM.
    06-23-08 12:18 PM
    She meant dry "rice" not "ice", hence the reason she edited the post. haha
    06-23-08 12:24 PM
    Yeah - it was a typo - I saw what I'd done, I was so happy to get a reply, I read it too fast! But for the record, I have it in dry RICE, not dry ICE.

LOL

THanks guys!!
    06-23-08 12:24 PM
    well, according to one thread I think you're supposed to beat yourself up now hehehehehe.....
    06-23-08 12:26 PM
    I figured you'd like an answer ASAP... for the sake of your berry, but I've edited the post to provide a bit more info (links).

*giggles* dry ice; that's just plain murder.
    06-23-08 12:27 PM
    Thank you so much - it is in the rice now!

I feel like I should beat myself up though.
    06-23-08 12:29 PM
    Fingers and toes crossed...

Attachment 2419
    06-23-08 12:43 PM
    well, according to one thread I think you're supposed to beat yourself up now hehehehehe.....

LOL, yes.

With a hammer...
    06-23-08 12:44 PM
    good luck with the rice! I hope it works - that's one of my worst nightmares.
    06-23-08 12:45 PM
    I think you should try to leave it in there as long as possible. Maybe overnight if you can.
    I hope everything turns out okay. If it wasn't totally submerged, there should be some hope, so hang in there.

Also, I noticed that you said everything else was working fine... so if the rice trick doesn't work, maybe it's not a battery problem, but something directly with the trackball - like juice dried and stickied the sensor. You may have to try to take it apart and clean it...

P.S. I like your Vegas cup.
    Last edited by LilCostello; 06-23-08 at 01:24 PM.
    06-23-08 01:19 PM
    does this "trick" require white rice, brown rice, short grain brown rice, jasmine brown rice, organic brown rice or basmati rice?
    06-23-08 01:34 PM
    does this "trick" require white rice, brown rice, short grain brown rice, jasmine brown rice, organic brown rice or basmati rice?
    There are thousands of rice varieties, so I doubt the six types you've mentioned differ greatly from the others. Considering all rice are of the same family (O. sativa and O. glaberrima), and all are grains, which contribute to the absorption of moisture, I doubt it would matter on which type one chose to restore a water-logger electronic device.

But since you seem so curious, here are some specifics: Water absorption rates of rice grains.
    06-23-08 01:54 PM
    There are thousands of rice varieties, so I doubt the six types you've mentioned differ greatly from the others. Considering all rice are of the same family (O. sativa and O. glaberrima), and all are grains, which contribute to the absorption of moisture, I doubt it would matter on which type one chose to restore a water-logger electronic device.

But since you seem so curious, here are some specifics: Water absorption rates of rice grains.

Wow. Now THAT is going the extra mile!

I salute you!
    06-23-08 01:56 PM
    I find uncle ben's works the best. Long grain wild rice.
    06-23-08 01:59 PM
    did you take the track ball off, i spilt Mt Dew on my phone the 1st week i had it and the track ball was not working well, so i took it out and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol
    06-23-08 02:05 PM
    You have been such a great help to me already, but now can you tell me where the water damage indicator is on my BB Curve? I have read posts here and some think it is the red XX sticker on the batter, and then others say that is not so. I don't think it is either because mine has always been red from the get-go.

Where is it located? I am pretty sure mine will still be white, but want to make sure.

Thanks!
    06-23-08 02:08 PM
    When I spilled coffee all over my Curve, I immediately pulled the battery, dryed the device out with a hot blow dryer for a good 20 minutes, and cleaned the trackball with a q tip.. My phone is still good as new. Perhaps you just may need to remove the trackball and give it a good cleanin'.
    06-23-08 02:09 PM
    You have been such a great help to me already, but now can you tell me where the water damage indicator is on my BB Curve? I have read posts here and some think it is the red XX sticker on the batter, and then others say that is not so. I don't think it is either because mine has always been red from the get-go.

Where is it located? I am pretty sure mine will still be white, but want to make sure.

Thanks!
    I was told by a Verizon rep that it is indeed the red XX sticker on the battery........... BUT... You know those reps at VZW aren't the brightest lightbulbs ever..
    06-23-08 02:09 PM

interesting to note : By correlation analysis, the gelatinization temperatures tended to be significantly correlated with the amylose content determined by Con A precipitation coupled with enzymatic methods, rather than by iodine absorption methods.

From the above statement my research has led me to uncover some very interesting data. Wild rice will yield better moisture abosortion rates on blackberry's than a Motorola branded phone. Whats interesting to note also is that Indian Basmati Rice can actually expell moisture thus preventing proper trackball movement in both the 8330 and 8320 Curve models while no significant effect is seen on other Blackberry models.

In conclusion a safe AND efficacious rice for ALL BB models would be wild rice. Early research shows wild rice grown in temperate regions to be best. I will post specific brand names upon further analysis.
    06-23-08 02:11 PM
    OMG hope things work out & Juice is so sticky, I wonder if you would have turned it face down on a towel or something so the juice could run out would have worked? Oh well good luck, keep us posted.
    06-23-08 04:57 PM
    My heart is hurting for you!! Oh my goodness!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 05:07 PM
    Well, you know how I said it was working some before? Now it isn't working at all (trackball, that is - it rolls around on stuff just fine, but it does nothing when you push it down)

I am so bummed.

I am going to leave it in the rice tonight, but the fact that it was working better and then stopped is really disheartening.

I never knew I could get so upset over a little electronic device.
    06-23-08 05:21 PM
    This is just the story of my life...

My trackball function never came back - it would sill roll, but when you press it, you got nothing. Some of the keys were acting strange too.

SO, I bit down and called AT&T and ordered a new Curve.

Folks, I kid you not. I got the order confirmation e-mail on my Blackberry and just out of force of habit, I pushed the trackball down. IT WORKED. And the other buttons that had been giving me fits - THEY WORKED TOO!

So, I had a new one on the way and an old one that was working like a top. I have been debating about what to do all week. I have decided this:

I am sending the new Curve back because my Berry is just fine. I won't upgrade until the Bold is released.

But I thought that was a funny story you all could appreciate.

Morals of the story: Don't allow your Berry anywhere near beverages, lakes, pools, oceans, washing machines, sinks, etc. AND Rice works wonders!
    06-27-08 01:36 PM
    as a matter of fact, the water indicator is next to the battery just above where the SIM card goes on that little wall... yea, that little white square. there you go!

and it also helps if you put the rice on top of the fridge with your phone in it, as it's very dry and warm up there. my dad has dropped his phone in a toilet twice and once in a puddle and it still works! that samsung t309 sure is a trooper.
    06-27-08 02:46 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD