I've been using the new OS on a Verizon 8330 Curve and am mostly pleased. I like the HTML email in my BIS accounts (BES is not pushing HTML content yet so I'm still waiting there). The web pages also render much nicer and the media player is clearly enhanced. However, there are a couple of items that bug me about the upgrade that seemed better before. And of course, I'll keep adding to this thread as I find more. Let me know if you all agree or have noticed a different behavior.

ISSUES
    • Trackball not as responsive...it's as though processes running the in background inhibit the initial movement of the cursor.
    • Alt+Enter does not lock the device from the Zen Today home page, though it does lock the device when on the applications icons page.
    • SMS text messaging inbox no longer has new messages highlighted. instead, they are denoted by a yellow, unopened envelope indicator that turns clear after you've read the message. I like the envelope, but I miss the bold-face indicator also.

Cheers for now.
    11-20-08 08:03 AM
    Yeah the tackball thing is weird and you can't (atleast I can't) click where I want in a text box and be right there I click on the window and have to scroll through all of my text to get where I want to be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 09:00 AM
    I've been using the new OS on a Verizon 8330 Curve and am mostly pleased. I like the HTML email in my BIS accounts (BES is not pushing HTML content yet so I'm still waiting there). The web pages also render much nicer and the media player is clearly enhanced. However, there are a couple of items that bug me about the upgrade that seemed better before. And of course, I'll keep adding to this thread as I find more. Let me know if you all agree or have noticed a different behavior.

ISSUES
    • Trackball not as responsive...it's as though processes running the in background inhibit the initial movement of the cursor.
    • Alt+Enter does not lock the device from the Zen Today home page, though it does lock the device when on the applications icons page.
    • SMS text messaging inbox no longer has new messages highlighted. instead, they are denoted by a yellow, unopened envelope indicator that turns clear after you've read the message. I like the envelope, but I miss the bold-face indicator also.

Cheers for now.
    I haven't noticed any difference in the trackball in the 11 hours that I've had 4.5...

Also, with Alltel's 4.3 previously, the texts were always marked with a yellow folder icon until they were opened, so I see no difference there either.

Never used Alt + Enter before, I just push my left side button.
    11-20-08 09:52 AM
    There's no longer n icon to toggle bluetooth on/off. You used to able to assign this to a convenience key or launch it with lanchapds, pocket desktop, etc.

11-20-08 05:03 PM
    Found another issue, and I believe it's been noted herein: Answering the phone, there's a latency before the screen shows that you're on the call. However, it seems that the caller can hear you nonetheless. I think the OS seems to be running a bit more sluggish in most respect on changes in programs, perhaps...like it's thinking a bit harder. However, when it's running well, which is most of the time, I'm pretty darn pleased.
    11-24-08 11:03 AM
    I think your text messaging issue may have to do with your theme. With themes that came with phone, new messages show up bold with the envelope. With one of my themes that I downloaded, it shows up wiht the envelope, but it the meassage itself appears to have been opened, while another downloaded theme appears unopened. Maybe it is your theme?
    11-24-08 12:04 PM
    • When I go to send files from my Media manager, it no longer defaults to my default From email address, I have to select the From address every time.
    • I can no longer stream Moodio.fm with the phone in its holster.
    • I can no long stream Moodio.fm and switch to another application

UGH! Anyone know how to downgrade to Verizon's old OS?
    11-24-08 12:21 PM
    I recently made this upgrade and one of the main reasons was for the html emal, I still don't seem to have it, is there an option that I need to change?
    11-24-08 02:53 PM
    Read through this thread. It has great information on HTML email!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-t...-emails-99391/

11-24-08 06:23 PM
    I've had a great experience with 4.5. No issues to report.
    11-24-08 06:36 PM
    So far I love it! I have only had improvements. No complaints so far.

11-24-08 06:41 PM
    Same here only improvements espcially with memory leak. No longer leaks unless I don't close my browser. Usually the memory increases if I let the bb sit not using it.

11-24-08 06:55 PM
    Chrisy, I think we need to add a line to all upgrade instructions reminding people that they need to send service books to start HTML email, and that an upgrade only affects new mail.

11-24-08 08:28 PM
    Yes, sir, agreed! The link i posted covered all that pretty thoroughly. If fact YOU state that in the thread, Exe!

i will keep that in mind though when answering upgrade and HTML email questions since it's so frequently asked. Thanks!

11-24-08 08:32 PM
    I've had no issues with 4.5 after a week with it. HTML emails are great, as well as the new look browser. The trackball speed seems the same to me.

Joe
    11-24-08 09:30 PM
    I think your text messaging issue may have to do with your theme. With themes that came with phone, new messages show up bold with the envelope. With one of my themes that I downloaded, it shows up wiht the envelope, but it the meassage itself appears to have been opened, while another downloaded theme appears unopened. Maybe it is your theme?
    Same theme as before unless they changed the theme.
    11-26-08 01:52 PM
    Just about 30 minutes into playing with my new BB, but I seem to like 4.5 so far.
    11-26-08 02:19 PM
    as93.
    I had the same problem when I first installed OS 4.5
    I went to my BIS site and had to send a service book from there and about 20 minutes later I was getting html e-mail. Try that and see.
    11-26-08 02:28 PM
    Resend Service Books:

Click on Service Books
    Send Service Books

BlackBerry Internet Service
    11-26-08 05:08 PM
    After a few days, (I don't use it much) I noticed that the Facebook icon was gone after installing 4.5. Resent the service books once more and it has returned! Re-installed, done.

Other than that, everything is cool.
    12-01-08 06:11 AM
    I have noticed one thing that I would like to see if I could fix. I use bbsmart viewer and it works on some e-mail messages and not on others. Has anyone had the same problem? I like that feature and would like to get it back got a message from bbsmart and it said that they don't support HTML e-mail
    12-01-08 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD