Being that I'm new to the bb, and I've come over from the palm platform, which I've been using for years, I'm wondering if there is any way to sync my palm data (calendar and address book, particularly) to the palm. I've never used Outlook, always Palm Desktop. Suggestions would be very appreciated.

TIA

dusty dog
    01-14-08 07:45 AM
    Yes, sync you Palm data to Outlook or to an ASCII or Excel file, and then either sync the Outlook file to the BB, or import the ASCII or Excel file to the BB.

Another good way is to simply use the BB's Desktop Manager, Switch Device Wizard. It will read the Palm and move that data from the Palm to the BB, then you can put the Palm back in use as a good door stop.
    01-14-08 08:03 AM
    Thank you so much. Just letting you know it worked seamlessly. Well, almost seamlessly. I used the BB Switch Device Wizard. It syncs all addresses at "work". Oh well. I can live with it for now.

Again, thanks.
    01-15-08 05:16 PM
    Great... my suggestion? Edit those in Outlook and sync back to your BB.
    01-15-08 05:17 PM
    This helped me as well. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-08 10:28 PM
    I am so new to this and I've tried this suggestion of using the wizard to synch my palm data to my blackberry. while synching the calendar data, it just hung at record 2926 out of 2990 during the export. Any suggestions? any help is appreciated.
    08-01-08 12:42 PM
    Yes, sync you Palm data to Outlook or to an ASCII or Excel file, and then either sync the Outlook file to the BB, or import the ASCII or Excel file to the BB.

Another good way is to simply use the BB's Desktop Manager, Switch Device Wizard. It will read the Palm and move that data from the Palm to the BB, then you can put the Palm back in use as a good door stop.

NO! don't do that, there are much easier ways!

see my post here for instructions

There must be a lot of people switching over to BB! good to see! (I made the switch about a year ago, couldn't be happier )

otherwise, if you are going to have the treo and the BB at the same time, the switch device manager may be easier.
    08-01-08 01:12 PM
    I am so new to this and I've tried this suggestion of using the wizard to synch my palm data to my blackberry. while synching the calendar data, it just hung at record 2926 out of 2990 during the export. Any suggestions? any help is appreciated.
    that certain calendar entry may have been corrupt, or had something entered in a field that wasn't transferable.

I'm assuming that you don't need all 2,990 calendar entries, since most of them are probably old. So, go into your calendar on your treo, hit the options key for the drop down box, and choose "purge" entries (or data, whatever the purge one is called) and choose to purge (aka DELETE) all the old entries past a certain point (for example, delete all of your entires that are more than a month or 15 days old).

hopefully this will delete the corrupted entry, and allow you to complete the export successfully (and much more quickly I might add)!
    08-01-08 01:16 PM
    I had Sync problems as described above. I purged and still had problems. It wasn't until I deleted my repeating entries that it transferred successfullly.
    11-23-08 12:57 PM
    Everytime I try to use desktop manager to do the switch I get a message about needing an internet conncection, got one!

Any ideas?

Cheryl
    01-01-09 04:14 PM
    Tag for info.

Can you make separate address book folders on the BB ? I'd like to keep Business and Personal separate.
    01-01-09 05:20 PM
    Hello all,

I'm new to this and figured out how to sync my Palm to Blackberry but can't get my Blackberry calendar items to the Palm desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    07-16-09 08:05 AM
    Hello All,
    I am new to blackberry as well but i tried to use the blackberry desktop to do the palm to blackberry switch and i couldn't even choose the device i wanted to get info from. HELP i am lost and I need my info! thanks!
    08-11-09 11:42 AM
    Same here, it wont let me choose the palm file. I dont have outlook on my laptop. I do on my desktop, but when I try to change the option for the calander for the BB to use, it wont show outlook as an option. Super frustraited!!! Help me crackberry people!
    10-02-09 12:53 AM
    I have a more technical question than just syncing up two devises. I have software that was written specifically for Palm or Windows Mobile, is there any way I can adapt this to my 8900?
    02-02-10 09:53 AM
    Different OS and all... it would have to be retooled from the bottom up.

Have you checked to see if there are BB ports for these software titles?
    02-02-10 10:41 AM
    can i synchronize my palm calendar only to my tour
    03-19-10 05:39 PM
    I am also having Sync problems from Palm Tungsten/E to my new Bold 9650. While synching the calendar data, it just hung at record 293 out of 456 during the export. I then purged all records older than a week as suggested above. It then hung at record 92 out of 122. When I then deleted all repeating events it hung at record 121 out of 122 (progress!). I figured that there was something wrong with my last calendar entry, so I searched for it & deleted it, but now it hangs at record 120 out of 121. It seems to hang at the second to last record no matter what. Any suggestions? I don't use outlook and would prefer not using it since according to other posts there seems to be some mapping problems.
    06-03-10 12:42 AM
    I suggest that we should NOT use the BlackBerry Device Switch Wizard to transfer from Palm to BlackBerry. I spent a whole day doing that - it takes hours - and I could not get all data across successfully.

My preferred method is Palm Desktop to MS Outlook then to BlackBerry Desktop Manager (version 6 is better than version 5).

To switch from Palm Desktop to MS Outlook, you need to run the Palm Desktop CD again and change your Synchronization to Outlook. You should only do this when you are committed to throw away your Palm device because Palm Desktop is much better for synchronizing with your Palm device.

Also, before you perform the switch, you should install BlackBerry Desktop Manager (BBDM) and test out your new BlackBerry device. It is important to set your Calendar options to "Keep appointments forever", instead of the default "Keep appointments for 60 days", otherwise all your past history will be erased during synchronization.

(Before installing BBDM, you should install the latest iTunes and Windows Media Player 11. BBDM installation requires internet connection.)

(I had some funny/strange characters and question marks (?) showing up when I installed BBDM. I don't know if anybody else had this problem. Seems like no harm done, though.)

Before connecting your BB device to your PC, turn on both the BBDM and the BB device. The first time you connect the two via microUSB cable, there will be a "Error installing hardware" warning from Windows. Don't worry, it works fine after that.

One thing to note, Palm Categories are a totally different ball game from Outlook/BlackBerry Categories:
    Thread(Problem with MemoPad and Tasks using the same categories)

When you have gotten your Palm personal information manager (PIM) organizer data into MS Outlook, your private memos have an additional category called "Palm_Private". Select all of them by using the MS Outlook "Filter" command, then delete them because BlackBerry does not have a "Hide private records" option .

In BBDM, set your synchronization settings to sync from Outlook to device and replace all data in target application, with "Conflict Resolution" set as "Outlook wins". Apply folder mapping in advanced sync options if you have multiple folders for your PIM organizer data (Calendar, Contacts, Memos/Notes/MemoPad, Tasks).

Synchronize.

Congratulations, your PIM organizer data is now living inside a BlackBerry
    08-15-10 05:30 AM
    I read the forums on syncing from about 8 different links here in crackberry before starting this task. Thank you to all of you who shared your experiences and advice. I respect the quality of posts here and got the sense it is a professional source of guidance.

Some of my data has been transitioned twice before syncing to my Treo 755p 3 years ago. I will say my first choice was to move to the Treo Pro but after a weekend, we did not bond. I now have a Blackberry (Bb) Curve 9300. I do not use my pda for online activities.

The following process took about 60-75 minutes:
    1. Created a Restore point on the Vista pc.
    2. Outlook 2007 was installed but since I normally choose to resist willingly supporting monopolies, had to configure Outlook but without an email account.
    3. Sync’d Treo to Palm Desktop (PD) via HotSync 4.2; this software is installed in C:\Program Files\Palm; printed Nov. 2010 to March 2011 calendars; did screen captures of configuration of the HotSync 4.2 to make sure the next step would work!
    4. From PD did exports in csv and ASCII. This step was also driven by TPRS (Technology Paranoia Response Syndrome)
    5. Downloaded HotSync 4.1.2 and installed in a new folder C:\Palm 4.1; icons for HotSync and the PD 4.1 are different than the 4.2 icons; registration of the software generated an error but it worked anyway; configured PD 4.1 to sync to Outlook.
    6. Chose not to attempt the transfer of data from 4.2 to 4.1 (Plan B); rather sync’d Treo to PD 4.1; set it to go back 365 days; @7100 records took approx. 20 minutes; generated @ 7 errors mostly in Tasks that were yearly repeating records; as suggested in a previous post, did do various displays in case Contacts, Calendar and Memos data needed massaging.
    7. Plugged in the Curve; now in Bb software, did see all the Device options; set it to sync with Outlook; took less than 5 minutes to sync to Curve.

Next steps are to get comfortable with inputting data without a stylus, getting the calendar alarm to work (oops just got it) and to research/transfer HandyShopper and my grocery list.
    11-10-10 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD