There are SO MANY repeat questions about how to install themes/programs via OTA links that I wanted to post a little walkthrough. I was surprised not to find anything like this already when I searched the forums.
    So here it goes......

OTA = Over The Air

Because it's Over The Air, do not use Desktop Manager as it will not recognize .jad files (the filetype of OTA links). Do not download the file, do not try to run the file on your computer, and do not think about using a USB cable for these files!

Instead, you need to somehow access the file directly from your blackberry! There are multiple ways to do this:

1) Browse to the website using your blackberry browser, find the link, and click it.
    -or-
    2) Right click the link (from your computer), go to "Copy Shortcut." Now compose a new email on your computer, pasting the "shortcut" into the body of your message. Email your blackberry the link and click the link once it is on your blackberry.
    -or-
    3) Put your computer mouse over the OTA link. The web address to the .jad file will show up near the bottom left of internet explorer. Go to your blackberry and type this address into your blackberry browser's address bar. Press enter.

Once you do any of the above 3 steps, follow the prompts on your blackberry to Download and install the theme/program.

There you go! Easy and fast
    Please add to this if you have other/better ways to describe the correct steps to take so that new users can figure this out.
    Last edited by trimax84; 10-01-08 at 08:59 PM.
    10-01-08 08:44 PM
    What is the difference between OTA, Zen and L ?
    10-02-08 04:33 AM
    Plus there is a program called OTA Downloader or Loader. I'm not by my computer right now but I know its one of them. All u have to do is download the program and copy the .jad shortcut into the space allowed. Once u do that after its downloaded just move them to your bb using mass storage or u can use the application loader in DM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 05:44 AM
    What is the difference between OTA, Zen and L ?
    Zen and L are themes, OTA is not a theme.

If an app or such is avaibale for download right from the blackberry it is called OTA download (over the air).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 05:59 AM
    Note that for those who have upgraded to OS 4.5, Blackberry Browser is now call Internet Browser.
    10-02-08 07:57 AM
    ...also!!! You do NOT need any 3rd party software like "OTA Downloader" or whatever it's called... you can transfer the *.JAD or *.JAR files over to your micro SD card in mass transfer mode. From there, go to multimedia manager, click explore in menu function, select media card, then select the *.JAD or *.JAR file... up pops a window with a download button at the bottom. This process "tricks" the bb into thinking it's about to download something when it's in fact direct installing via the media card.
    11-21-08 08:58 PM
    i try and i received message error 907 Invalid COD, file not found ...

I send the attachement over my email to my blackberry it was ready to download until it said that message!!?
    11-26-08 01:33 AM
    Hey TriMax,

You should send this to Kevin OR the Forum Moderators so they can add it to the BB 101 series.

If it isn't documented anywhere else, I'm sure they'd appreciate the include!
    11-26-08 08:13 AM
    i try and i received message error 907 Invalid COD, file not found ...

I send the attachement over my email to my blackberry it was ready to download until it said that message!!?
    wussup everybody. i get the same message and i have the 8300. it says no cod file. could it be because i have no data plan?
    11-29-08 02:55 PM
    i would like to also mention there is a OTA to DM app you can get off this forum, its a post, that allows you to download the OTA file and install it via DM.
    11-29-08 05:59 PM
    Could someone please post a link to the thread with the OTA to DM app. I can't seem to find it.
    11-30-08 12:18 PM
    Glad this was posted, i have been seeing this question being asked alot here lately...
    11-30-08 12:20 PM
    wussup everybody. i get the same message and i have the 8300. it says no cod file. could it be because i have no data plan?
    why have BB and no data plan? seems pointless
    11-30-08 12:55 PM
    allo? Step-by-step here:

1. if you're interested in the software - look first for BOTH .alx and .cod downloads (sometimes need both)

2. if you find .alx and .cod downloads, use desktop manager -->> apploader

3. else, look for .jad or .jar (prefer whichever one has more KBytes... more info for blackberry to utilize in the install)

4. download to PC (OTA downloads cost $$) - plus, you don't really need OTA downloader or whatever it's called. The error messages will likely occur regardless of whether you used OTA downloader or not.

5. hook up blackberry and enable mass storage mode (this is automatically asked of you if you have a microSD card installed... this only works if you have a microSD card). Open up folder.

6. transfer .jad and/or .jar file to open folder from PC

7. unplug.

8. open up media manager on bberry.

9. hit menu button -->> select "explore"

10. find the .jad or .jar file. select.

11. you will be presented with a "download" screen. select "download". This does NOT mean you are "downloading" (since the file itself resides on your microSD media card) ... it is "installing". Why? what we have done here is tricked the bberrry into thinking it is dl'ing this file. It automatically installs.

I want to note though, that every time you are presented with an error message, yadda yadda yadda... it is not the end of the world. Sometimes a hard reset is needed. Sometimes the software simply isn't compatible. Try another one.
    12-01-08 09:09 PM
    There are SO MANY repeat questions about how to install themes/programs via OTA links that I wanted to post a little walkthrough. I was surprised not to find anything like this already when I searched the forums.
    So here it goes......

OTA = Over The Air

Because it's Over The Air, do not use Desktop Manager as it will not recognize .jad files (the filetype of OTA links). Do not download the file, do not try to run the file on your computer, and do not think about using a USB cable for these files!

Instead, you need to somehow access the file directly from your blackberry! There are multiple ways to do this:

1) Browse to the website using your blackberry browser, find the link, and click it.
    -or-
    2) Right click the link (from your computer), go to "Copy Shortcut." Now compose a new email on your computer, pasting the "shortcut" into the body of your message. Email your blackberry the link and click the link once it is on your blackberry.
    -or-
    3) Put your computer mouse over the OTA link. The web address to the .jad file will show up near the bottom left of internet explorer. Go to your blackberry and type this address into your blackberry browser's address bar. Press enter.

Once you do any of the above 3 steps, follow the prompts on your blackberry to Download and install the theme/program.

There you go! Easy and fast
    Please add to this if you have other/better ways to describe the correct steps to take so that new users can figure this out.

I'm using Firefox.. When I right click on it.. it says copy, copy link location, save link as, or send link? Which one?
    01-26-09 08:40 AM
    OK. All downloads. Then the phone asks to reboot now or later. I reboot now and no new themes appear in selectable themes. What's up?
    01-27-09 12:33 PM
    Hello!

I followed step 3, downloaded it and POOF, nothing. I rebooted and still nothing. Went to Options->Theme and nothing.

Could it be because of permissions? I did not set any while dling the theme.

dee
    8330 / v4.5
    02-12-09 01:18 AM
    If you didn't set permissions it will ask the first time you try the theme. Most likely theme is not designed for your device. Check the applications list Options > Advanced Options > Applications to see if the theme shows up there.
    02-12-09 06:34 AM
    Hiya,

The theme shows up under Applications. Do these themes require a certain set of permissions? I have: Connections/Interactions: Custom and User Data: Deny.

Okay trying the "taking out battery" and hoping for it show under themes....
    Last edited by roseaeterna; 02-15-09 at 06:02 PM.
    02-15-09 05:46 PM
    Tried pulling out the battery up to five times.. nada.

Is there any other way to have the theme show up under Themes????

grrr.
    02-15-09 06:20 PM
    When you are downloading themes most of them have 2 versions of the same theme for different OS types (OS means Operating System). If you are running a 4.2 OS you can't download a 4.5 OS theme. Themes are also separated by phone. You need to download the theme specific to your phone. I use Themes4BB all the time and the first screen has you pick which phone you are using, then enabling you to only download the correct themes for your BB. If your using phone specific themes and the correct OS version you should be okay.
    02-15-09 07:52 PM
    Hiya TearBear,

Yep, I have the right version... It's one from trimax84 under Cool Blue: Dock 4.5

My BB 8330 - v4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51)

Theme is shows up under Applications as:
    Com_Plazmic_Theme_Classy_Corners_Dock
    Version: 2008.09.29.0038
    Vendor: Plazmic Inc.
    Modules: com_plazmic_theme_classy_corners_dock

Not sure what's wrong with it! rawr.
    02-15-09 11:08 PM
    Thank you soo much. This helped out alot!
    02-16-09 11:28 AM
    Hiya TearBear,

Yep, I have the right version... It's one from trimax84 under Cool Blue: Dock 4.5

My BB 8330 - v4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51)

Theme is shows up under Applications as:
    Com_Plazmic_Theme_Classy_Corners_Dock
    Version: 2008.09.29.0038
    Vendor: Plazmic Inc.
    Modules: com_plazmic_theme_classy_corners_dock

Not sure what's wrong with it! rawr.
    I too am having this problem and am searching for the answer....I have several in my Applications but can not figure out how to get them in my themes or how to use them.
    I have a Curve 8330 v4.5....maybe this'll bump it up to the right person with the answer.
    learning other cool stuff though....great place to hang
    07-10-09 06:34 AM
    thanks!! very helpful
    11-12-09 11:06 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD