Don't know if this has actually been done and posted. I searched and could not find a thing. Though the idea has been thrown around and it's where i got it from. Below are pictures of my Trackball after soaking in Rit Dye for 20 minutes. Can pretty much be done with any color. I boiled the water, poured into a container I didn't mind ruining, mixed the dye (i used the powder), and stirred for a while.

I know the ring around the trackball looks a little purple, it did not take the color very well but its ok, I have a full housing coming in before the end of the week, Titanium no carrier logo (ebay, full housing from seller "PerfectEsell"). I didn't order the black one because I've seen it and it just isn't me.

For those who will post saying, "why would you want your trackball to be black?". Here are my reasons:

1) Trackball was yellowish and dingy looking.
    2) No I don't need light behind the trackball, Who looses their trackball location anyways?
    3) I didn't feel like paying $15 ($10 @ cnn.cn + shipping) for something I can do myself.
    4) Was at the mall, played around with a G1 and fell in love with the black trackball, no more nasty looking trackball!

Note: I know my phone is in bad shape, but I got it as a trade for my old voyager, put in $50 and this baby is new (Invisible Shield here i come!), plus I don't know when Verizon is going to finally release the new Curve. And I love my Curve, I think it's the best phone ever made.

Note: The name of the Red Dye is "SCARLET" by Rit

Last edited by azboricua; 01-08-09 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added HD photos and new Red color.
    01-05-09 09:29 PM
    SWEET!
    01-05-09 09:32 PM
    Does the color look solid, or does the LED light come through a bit?

Update us on how permanent and durable the color treatment is.

Id like to know if this is a surface only dye job that won't last too long, or something that will last a long time.
    01-05-09 09:34 PM
    SWEET!
    haha! oh yeah, kinda forgot to mention this. Don't get it on your hands!

Does the color look solid, or does the LED light come through a bit?

Update us on how permanent and durable the color treatment is.

Id like to know if this is a surface only dye job that won't last too long, or something that will last a long time.
    Color is solid, I held a flashlight up to this thing, no see through! So far so good, I have been using a white rag over my thumb to see if there is any color fade or any gets on the rag and nothing so far.

I cant say how long it will last so far, If i ever see any color fading, Ill make sure to post.
    Last edited by azboricua; 01-05-09 at 09:38 PM.
    01-05-09 09:35 PM
    Don't know if this has actually been done and posted. I searched and could not find a thing. Though the idea has been thrown around and it's where i got it from. Below are pictures of my Trackball after soaking in Rit Dye for 20 minutes. Can pretty much be done with any color. I boiled the water, poured into a container I didn't mind ruining, mixed the dye (i used the powder), and stirred for a while.

I know the ring around the trackball looks a little purple, it did not take the color very well but its ok, I have a full housing coming in before the end of the week, Titanium no carrier logo (ebay, full housing from seller "PerfectEsell"). I didn't order the black one because I've seen it and it just isn't me.

For those who will post saying, "why would you want your trackball to be black?". Here are my reasons:

1) Trackball was yellowish and dingy looking.
    2) No I don't need light behind the trackball, Who looses their trackball location anyways?
    3) I didn't feel like paying $15 ($10 @ cnn.cn + shipping) for something I can do myself.
    4) Was at the mall, played around with a G1 and fell in love with the black trackball, no more nasty looking trackball!

Note: I know my phone is in bad shape, but I got it as a trade for my old voyager, put in $50 and this baby is new (Invisible Shield here i come!), plus I don't know when Verizon is going to finally release the new Curve. And I love my Curve, I think it's the best phone ever made.

Looks good man and thanks btw...
    01-05-09 09:37 PM
    That looks pretty good.
    01-05-09 09:49 PM
    Yea I never thought of rit dye. Which is wierd I use it all the time on my RC Helicopter parts.

It should be permanent.

Bill

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 10:18 PM
    sorry idk if this is a newb question but how did you get the track ball out
    01-05-09 11:22 PM
    sorry idk if this is a newb question but how did you get the track ball out
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...rackball-3243/
    01-05-09 11:26 PM
    thank you very much
    01-05-09 11:30 PM
    I really like how that turned out. I'm definately gonna have to give that a shot. I plan on getting the black housing so the black trackball should be nice.

01-06-09 12:28 AM
    Well guys, nothing has rubbed off yet, no see through at all, as if the trackball is a solid black rubber piece. Anyone else try it yet? post pictures up if you have!!!
    01-06-09 10:34 AM
    this is gonna be a stoopid Q but where you buy that dye?
    01-06-09 10:38 AM
    That looks really good let us know if it starts fading though.
    01-06-09 10:41 AM
    Just about any store that sells fabric. I've seen it in grocery stores too.
    01-06-09 10:46 AM
    Oh man...... I already ordered one! Oh well...... I wonder if you used other colors if the light would shine thru since they aren't as dark. Hmmmm maybe I'll try it with my old one.
    01-06-09 10:58 AM
    I will stick with the OEM 8900 trackball I ordered...
    01-06-09 11:02 AM
    Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, any hobby store pretty much.

And be careful this stuff is strong (smell wise), it will stain your hands and anything else it touches.

I will stick with the OEM 8900 trackball I ordered...
    congrats!
    Last edited by azboricua; 01-06-09 at 11:11 AM.
    01-06-09 11:07 AM
    What is a Q exactly? I kid.

I like the black trackball; I am not sure I would go with the dye job. However, it looks pretty good from where I am sitting.
    01-06-09 11:14 AM

congrats!
    SD was just stating his opinion. No need for the confusion bro.
    01-06-09 11:16 AM
    Now, I have to wonder how this would look with other colors of dye...orange, blue, red? I might need to purchase a couple of trackballs and give this a shot...
    01-06-09 11:43 AM
    great...i'll try to get it later on today after work..
    01-06-09 11:47 AM
    SD was just stating his opinion. No need for the confusion bro.
    Im not your bro.

And yes I know he just stated his opinion. But why do you bother posting something like that in the middle of a thread where people are asking questions on durability, on how to do it, where to buy the product. Had he posted, " i dont really like the way it came out and worried about durability or texture" I would of been like "ok, I see where you're coming from".
    01-06-09 11:47 AM
    Good idea with the dye!

01-06-09 11:49 AM
    Now, I have to wonder how this would look with other colors of dye...orange, blue, red? I might need to purchase a couple of trackballs and give this a shot...
    I will have another trackball later this week, I'm going to probably do it red, I will post pics and let you guys know how it comes out.
    01-06-09 11:49 AM
444 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD