I know this has been asked before, but for the life of me I can not find it using the search feature. I put in the words ".jar .jad files" and come up with a list of a bazzillion posts but nothing about how to install these type of files. I went to the Lecture Series and saw a couple of posts on "Installing 3rd Part Apps" lesson but there were no replies.

I have tried loading the .jad and .jar files via Desktop Manager, but unrecognized. Tried to transfer the files to my phone but still no luck in the installation process, said unrecognized file types.

Just not for sure what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-19-09 09:32 AM
    Not sure what.jar files are, but .jad files are for OTA (over the air) download. Go to the download link from your BB browser.
    08-19-09 09:56 AM
    Thanks Rick, but tried that and all I got was a browser full of giberish. And no option to download/install. Not for sure what to do, but now that you mentioned it think will try using Opera Mini instead of the BB Browser.

Thanks again for the reply...
    08-19-09 10:06 AM
    heres what to do: connect phone to computer>enable mass media storage mode> open up your blackberry folder> drag and drop your jad/jar file along with the accomanpying Cod files into the BLackberry folder>close usb connection and unplug device> on your blackberry, open the "media application> select the blackberry(menu) button> select explore>select media card>select blackberry>locate the .jar/.jad file you want to install and click it>select download> ta-da installed! be sure to delete the files when you're done to free up some room.
    08-19-09 10:33 AM
    Solo,

Thank you very much for the advice. That worked like a CHARM and have all the .JAD files installed now, thanks to your help.

I never thought about going through the Media program and exploring the card. But now that I see how that works, it make perfect sense.

Again thanks for the help.
    08-19-09 10:47 AM
    No problem, glad I could help. BBfilescout works the same way, if you use that more frequently..just an FYI.
    08-19-09 11:09 AM
    Yes I do, and thanks for the info. Just downloaded BBfilescout and installing now. I really like utilities that I can use to explore and move/remove files from the phone. And this will help a lot.

Glad I asked the original question now. Got some good info from it.
    08-19-09 11:23 AM
    heres what to do: connect phone to computer>enable mass media storage mode> open up your blackberry folder> drag and drop your jad/jar file along with the accomanpying Cod files into the BLackberry folder>close usb connection and unplug device> on your blackberry, open the "media application> select the blackberry(menu) button> select explore>select media card>select blackberry>locate the .jar/.jad file you want to install and click it>select download> ta-da installed! be sure to delete the files when you're done to free up some room.
    I tried this with the BBtext2IM app. Could only get the ZIP, no OTA. So I unzipped and copied the .COD and .JAR files to the blackberry folder on my BB but when I "download" the .JAR it says installation fails. Error code 907. I would use the Desktop Manager to install the app, but I'm on my work computer and it has the old OS installed on it and I've upgraded the OS since then so I'm affraid the apploader will downgrade my phone back to OS 4.3 (Currently running OS 4.5.136/160 hybrid)
    08-20-09 08:00 AM
    I tried this with the BBtext2IM app. Could only get the ZIP, no OTA. So I unzipped and copied the .COD and .JAR files to the blackberry folder on my BB but when I "download" the .JAR it says installation fails. Error code 907. I would use the Desktop Manager to install the app, but I'm on my work computer and it has the old OS installed on it and I've upgraded the OS since then so I'm affraid the apploader will downgrade my phone back to OS 4.3 (Currently running OS 4.5.136/160 hybrid)
    Hmmm. Not for sure but when ever I see a .ALX file I usually use the Desktop Manager.

Have you tried the above procedure using the .ALX file? If not try that and see if that works.

From what I have learned from this experience is that a .JAR file is the actual program/app files, while the .JAD is the instructions for downloading an app/program. And the .ALX is basically the instructions on how to install the .JAR if you have the .JAR file already. And I have no idea what the .COD file is for sure.

Not for sure if that is really what is happening but that is what it looks like to me. I am no programer or developer, and I am sure there are some on here and can straighten me out, but that basically how I understand the files that I get off the net.

Let us know what you find out. I would be interested to find out if you can install an app using the .ALX file on the phone or if you have to use the DM to load it.
    08-20-09 08:52 AM
    Hmmm. Not for sure but when ever I see a .ALX file I usually use the Desktop Manager.

Have you tried the above procedure using the .ALX file? If not try that and see if that works.

From what I have learned from this experience is that a .JAR file is the actual program/app files, while the .JAD is the instructions for downloading an app/program. And the .ALX is basically the instructions on how to install the .JAR if you have the .JAR file already. And I have no idea what the .COD file is for sure.

Not for sure if that is really what is happening but that is what it looks like to me. I am no programer or developer, and I am sure there are some on here and can straighten me out, but that basically how I understand the files that I get off the net.

Let us know what you find out. I would be interested to find out if you can install an app using the .ALX file on the phone or if you have to use the DM to load it.
    tried what you recommended and it didn't work. Pretty sure the .ALX file is only to be used through the app loaders on DM.
    08-20-09 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Wasn't for sure, but you now have answered that.

Hope you get this fixed as I have the same program I wanted to install but waiting until a later date to install it. Have another program evaluating at the present time.

Again, thanks for your reply.
    08-20-09 09:38 AM
    I have read this entire thread and no success with any suggestion. I have moved all the files (.jar, .alx, and .cod) onto the media card in blackberry folder. Went to media app on bb and clicked explore found .jar file clicked download and got error 907 invalid jar. Also I have used the DM application loader to load the .alx file and when it starts to try to load I get "a fatal error has occured. please try again". Anyone out here know what my problem is??? PLEASE!!!
    10-07-09 12:53 PM
    Use DM for alx files. Sounds like you may have the wrong version of the app for your device...just a guess. Jad and cods work OTA or from the sd card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 02:34 PM
    I'm using a storm. When i'm in media and explore it no .jar file appears there. I put these .jar via usb cable on memmory card. What should i do. Also the .jar can't be instaled via descktop manager. Any clue?
    05-29-10 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD