I have seen that many people are having problems installing the new messenger via desktop manager, and since the ota is not working at the moment I thought I might start a thread to help..

I have tested this on my 8330 v4.5.0.160os from Cellular South using Desktop Manager v4.7.. So I cannot guarantee it will work on any other versions.. I would strongly recommend upgrading from v4.5.0.77 before installing this application, as I have read that many people have lost their messenger all together when using .77 or lower..

Also, you MUST have your OS downloaded and installed to your pc in order for these directions to work..

***WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PERFORM ANY OF THESE ACTIONS WITHOUT FIRST BACKING UP YOUR OS IN DESKTOP MANAGER.. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR OS CRASHES AND YOU LOSE EVERYTHING!!!***

Plug in your blackberry via USB cable to your computer..

Download and unzip the files needed on to a folder on your desktop..
    They are located here: Blackberry Messenger 5.0

Copy all of the .cod files from this folder and paste them into the folder listed below..

Depending upon where you save your files on your computer and also which version of windows you are using will determine the location of this folder.. More than likely your files will be located in one of the two locations listed below..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330-v4.5.0.160_P3.4.0.41\Java

or

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8330-v4.5.0.160_P3.4.0.41\Java

It will ask if you would like to replace a number of files.. Click yes for each of them.. Once this has finished you may exit the folder..

Start Desktop manager..

Click on Application Loader..

Click browse..

Select the .alx file located in the folder you unzipped to your desktop..

Your screen will probably say something like "There are no additional applications designed for your device.", but if you notice when you scroll down, your bbmessenger should say "upgrade" underneath action..

Hit next.. let it load it to your phone and reboot.. and VOILA!

You should now have BBMessenger V5.0!! Yay!

Also... Many people have been asking for the link todownload the zip files for BBMessenger so here ya go:
    Leaked: BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 For Many Devices! | BlackBerry Rocks!
    Last edited by emilybreanna; 07-23-09 at 11:43 PM.
    07-18-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks this worked great for me.

Only thing was when I copied the cod files over, I had to save them in the java folder.
    Then it worked perfect.
    I'm with bell 8330 using the telus OS .160 and used DM 5.0
    07-18-09 11:53 AM
    Thanks this worked great for me.

Only thing was when I copied the cod files over, I had to save them in the java folder.
    Then it worked perfect.
    I'm with bell 8330 using the telus OS .160 and used DM 5.0

Yes! Java folder.. Sorry I thought I put that.. I changed it now lol.. Hope everyone else figured that out.. My bad
    07-18-09 12:04 PM
    Using BB 8330 v4.5.0.160 on Telus and DM v4.3.0.17 and it worked just fine. Thanks!!!
    07-18-09 12:52 PM
    Just happy to help..
    07-18-09 01:56 PM
    Thank you for posting the caution statements, many members are reporting issues.

If I can make a suggestion, you can simplify your how-too by editing the paragraph on copying and pasting the files. It is not nessessary.

The file is a compressed ZIP format. After you download it, you must extract it for use. The process of extraction creates a directory, usually in your Downloads folder.

Application Loader has a Browse button to locate applications. That is much less confusing for our member that have less then advanced computer skills.
    07-18-09 03:07 PM
    Yes.. There are other forums that explain the other way though and I actually attempted to install it that way from the beginning.. However it would not allow me to upgrade messenger for some reason.. That is why I posted this method..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 03:23 PM
    To install via standard method, download the zip to your pc and extract. From there you open Desktop Manager, then Application Loader, browse to the folder containing the file and continue on. If that doesn't work, you can try copying the files to where your OS is installed and overwrite the existing ones. Then run and load Desktop Manager it should now show as 5.0 BBM.

The simpler the better, as long as the instructions are clear.
    07-18-09 03:29 PM
    Excellent, clear and concise instructions.

Worked first time for me.

Thank you!
    07-18-09 10:47 PM
    I currently have a Verizon Curve 8330. I am running OS Version 4.5.0.77 and you mentioned that people running this version or lower are having problems. Where can I find a newer OS

Thanks
    Jean-Claude
    07-19-09 04:09 PM
    Copy and paste this link in your browser.. it includes the link to the os as well as how to install it..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-236552/

07-19-09 04:16 PM
    Copy and paste this link in your browser.. it includes the link to the os as well as how to install it..

I just read that .160 doesn't work to well with Verizon's Curve. What will happen if I stay with the .77 OS and install BBM 5.0?
    07-19-09 04:35 PM
    Supposedly.. The icon disappears completely and you can't use it.. I have a 8330 from cellular south and I installed the .160 os from telus.. It shouldn't hurt your phone as long as you delete the vendor.xml file

07-19-09 04:38 PM
    Supposedly.. The icon disappears completely and you can't use it.. I have a 8330 from cellular south and I installed the .160 os from telus.. It shouldn't hurt your phone as long as you delete the vendor.xml file

I'm gonna try and install the Sprint .131 version instead and then try the BBM5 install. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for all your help Emily.

Jean-Claude
    07-19-09 04:51 PM
    No problem.. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to help..

07-19-09 04:53 PM
    this can running the 8900?
    07-19-09 05:23 PM
    i'm running Vista and i cant find none of those files.... i got 5.0 and all and my bb is running the lastest software
    07-19-09 05:46 PM
    Tried to load this on my 8330 and it erased my messenger all together. After an hour and a half on the phone with verizon they sent me to the v store. End result a brand new bb. So be very carefull with this download.

07-19-09 05:49 PM
    No problem.. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to help..

Hey just wanted to say thanks. I got it up and running after I installed Sprint's .131 OS.
    07-19-09 06:03 PM
    What The **** am I Doing Wrong??? HELP!!!
    07-19-09 06:25 PM
    link for os .131 please
    07-19-09 06:32 PM
    thanks for the step by step. It works great!!!!! Pretty cool too
    07-19-09 06:47 PM
    This morning I upgraded from .130 or .138, I cant remember, to .160. I noticed that the upgraded BB Messenger wasnt on my BB any longer so I tried to re-install it and it wouldnt work. I figured it was because of .160, so I just dealt with it. I tried your method, it took less than 10 minutes and worked like a charm!

Thanks and excellent work young Jedi!

EDIT:
    I wanted to add that my barcode has changed from the first time that I had the new BB Messenger installed. I thought that was kinda interesting.
    Last edited by cenloe; 07-19-09 at 06:58 PM.
    07-19-09 06:52 PM
    What The **** am I Doing Wrong??? HELP!!!
    I'm assuming your having problems finding the .cod files?

is that correct?
    07-19-09 06:55 PM
    I'm assuming your having problems finding the .cod files?

is that correct?
    i sure am, where are they
    07-19-09 07:30 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD