How do I install a jad or jar file?

Thank you !
    05-02-09 11:27 AM
    Hi

These are OTA downloads (Over the Air). Go to the site on your Blackberry and click on the the link
    05-02-09 11:34 AM
    I thought just .jad was OTA and are just downloaded with the browser. I think .jar files need to be installed with DM and should come paired with .alx files. Go to Add/Remove Software on DM and browse for the .alx file.

(I could be wrong, but I don't think I am...)
    05-02-09 12:49 PM
    I thought just .jad was OTA and are just downloaded with the browser. I think .jar files need to be installed with DM and should come paired with .alx files. Go to Add/Remove Software on DM and browse for the .alx file.

(I could be wrong, but I don't think I am...)
    You're not wrong. I use jar for dm and jad for ota's. I rarely use DM but when I do those are the files I look for, for what ever I'm installing/removing.
    05-02-09 02:15 PM
    Jar is nothing more than a renamed zip file with all the components of a Java midlet inside
    Jad is a text file that tells the device about the components needed in an install and where to find all the packages.

You can also put a jar or a jad and all needed files with it on your memory card and run the jar or jad from the Media file explorer, that will simulate an OTA installation.
    05-03-09 12:54 AM
    Jar is nothing more than a renamed zip file with all the components of a Java midlet inside
    Jad is a text file that tells the device about the components needed in an install and where to find all the packages.

You can also put a jar or a jad and all needed files with it on your memory card and run the jar or jad from the Media file explorer, that will simulate an OTA installation.
    How do u do that exactly???
    05-11-09 09:27 PM
    1. plug the phone into your PC with a usb cable, make sure you have a microSD card inserted

2. on the pc you should see a new removable drive, open it and open the blackberry folder

3. copy the jar file or the jad and all associated files with it into one of the folders, preferably "documents" or make a new folder, naming it whatever you want

4. disconnect device and go into the "Media" program on your curve (The one you go to for all your ringtones and pictures, etc.)

5. on the main screen of the media program (where you select ringtones, pictures, etc.) press the BlackBerry (menu) button and a menu pops up, choose "Explore" from the menu

6. in the file browser, go to "Media Card" then "BlackBerry" then wherever you put the files

7. select the jar or jad and click the trackball, it should pop up an installation screen similar to when you try to install something over a data connection

8. follow the onscreen prompts

Just a warning, you may get an error if the software wasn't made for the BB or if you're missing a file that a jad refers to, you need all the files that a jad associates... and as far as jar's... not all j2me apps like to install properly on the BB.
    05-12-09 12:55 AM

Yeah...that was a nice find when I first saw you could do it this way.
    05-12-09 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD