I have always connected my BB to my desktop computer to transfer files, namely mp3's and contacts and never had a problem. I also used my laptop on occasion, as i have my video converting software there and do put recorded tv shows on my BB to watch on my lunch break. However, yesterday when i hooked the BB to my desktop, it would not connect. it's getting power (it's charging the BB) but my pc all of a sudden does not see the BB at all. I thought at first it might be a software issue, so i reinstalled the disk that came with it... then i tried desktop manager 4.5.. then new usb drivers... im not even getting a USB device listed in my device manager... So i decided i would reinstall windows and start from scratch (which ive needed to do for a couple weeks anyway) but it STILL cannot detect that there's anything hooked into the usb port. So ive tried other usb ports, nothing. I got a new USB cable today, still didnt help. When i got back home i brought out my laptop and hooked it up to it, and even it wont detect it at all...

Thinking i might have messed something up, i went to a neighbor's and hooked it into their PC using the usb cable they use for their moto Q, and that computer also does not detect the device. I've tried soft reset, double soft reset, hard reset, and now im thinking i need to do an OS reinstall on the device.. but that cant happen because the device isnt attaching itself to the pc for the software to work. I called verizon and they couldn't help me, wanting me to ship it off to them and wait for 3-5 weeks for repairs.

Can anyone help out a fellow crackberry user in dire need? Any suggestions will help.

Siegan
    08-08-08 10:04 PM
    VZW wants you ship the deice to them for repair? this cannot be right. If it is a deivce issue they would replace it #1, unless you bought it third party. #2 if they could not resolve it, they would have sent you to RIM for support. If they could not resolve it, then it beacuse of a computer problem or it is the device. If this was the case then VZW would replace it, if bought from them
    08-08-08 10:10 PM
    The gentleman on the phone stated that i could "take the phone to any local authorized verizon dealer and they would have it shipped to the service department." I purchased the phone via the verizon website a couple of days before it came out in stores. I had asked about a replacement or a "loaner" if they did such a thing (i'm new to this sort of thing, my old smartphone had a master reset that fixed just about any problem i ever had) and he said that i would need to purchase another phone at a discounted rate ($100 off, or something like that)

Thank you for the quick reply!
    08-08-08 10:15 PM
    I should note that i am not sure if by "sending it to service" they mean VZW or RIM.
    08-08-08 10:18 PM
    in that case I am sorry, this why I deal either a corporate store, or order online direcly from VZW. This would not be hastle to get it replaced. BB do have a wipe that can be done.

If you choose this option, then go to options>security options>general optons>menu button>wipe handheld.

Use this as a last resort- might want to wait for more info here, or better yet, call VZW TS and them look at it and ask to transfered to RIM. if needed then they will ask you wipe it or tell the device needs to be replaced.
    08-08-08 10:22 PM
    I appreciate your help, lastraid. I'd be lost if i had not found this site to be honest, so much information and so little time to take it in!

What i might do in the meantime is just pop out the media card and use my card reader to move files around, considering that the phone is functional and charging just fine. My only issue now is that i have tethering service which i cannot use due to the BB not being able to connect to my pc... Given, i've only used it three times in the last month, i might just save myself $15.
    08-08-08 10:29 PM
    sounds like your USB port may be messed up, but just in case, check to see if you have mass storage mode enabled: options > media card > mass storage mode support should be set to ON...
    08-08-08 10:36 PM
    it is indeed on. I'm trying to inspect my usb port for damage but i do not have the lighting i need... hmm
    08-08-08 10:37 PM
    OK, this may or may not make a lot of sense, i have a bad time trying to explain how things "look" but here goes

Inside my usb port on my phone there are 5 little pin looking connectors. The first two are visible and the very last one is visible, but the 3rd and 4th are not. Could someone with a curve in hand tell me if all 5 pins are visible on theirs? I did get a new car charger this week... maybe it could have damaged it?
    08-08-08 10:39 PM
    I see 5 Gold contact points in my USB connector, but that doesn't mean anything.

The actual contacts are on the surface of the insert. There are 4 contacts, two for power and two for data. They mate up with matching contacts on the cable end.

The fact that you are charging means there is a good connection at the power contacts. The problem could be in the data connections, but, given the complexity of Windows software, I would be inclined to look at the device drivers.

Open Windows Control Panel / System / Device Manager. USB will be near the bottom. If there are any ! marks, this is the most likley source of a problem.

If you find it, delete the offending device and restart your computer. That should force hardware setup to do it's thing and reconnect the USB drivers.

Which version of Widows are you using? BlackBerry USB drivers are native to Vista, but have to be imported for XP and earlier.
    08-09-08 09:54 AM
    I just experienced this problem. I was connected just fine and transfered some files. Disconnected and the next time I connected that BB, the desktop manager didn't recognize its PIN. I went into Windows control panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager. The BB was listed in the USB ports with an error. I uninstalled the device and then right click and have windows scan for hardware changes. It re detected the BB and all is back up and running.
    08-09-08 12:50 PM
    OK, this may or may not make a lot of sense, i have a bad time trying to explain how things "look" but here goes

Inside my usb port on my phone there are 5 little pin looking connectors. The first two are visible and the very last one is visible, but the 3rd and 4th are not. Could someone with a curve in hand tell me if all 5 pins are visible on theirs? I did get a new car charger this week... maybe it could have damaged it?
    mini-b connector, and i can see all five of the gold contacts...
    08-09-08 08:57 PM
    mini-b connector, and i can see all five of the gold contacts...
    Thank you guys for the help!

I found a flashlight yesterday and was looking in there, and it appears that my 3rd and 4th pin are pushed to the back of the port and crushed... While looking for "suspects" as to why this happened, i came across my wall charger at work. My metal frame of the male connector is slightly bent, and when i connect it, it obviously has some drag, not smooth like it should be. I called another local retailer yesterday as well and they said that i'm allowed one swapout for free, as per my contract, albeit a refurb. I'm going to go with all my paperwork tomorrow (monday) and see if they will replace it for me, pushing for a new one. I have been very careful with my BB (not careful enough ) and i'd hate to get a refurb with old problems.
    08-10-08 08:57 AM
    got my replacement unit today! yay, all is well now!! thanks
    08-15-08 12:22 AM
    I just experienced this problem. I was connected just fine and transfered some files. Disconnected and the next time I connected that BB, the desktop manager didn't recognize its PIN. I went into Windows control panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager. The BB was listed in the USB ports with an error. I uninstalled the device and then right click and have windows scan for hardware changes. It re detected the BB and all is back up and running.
    WOW, GOOD CALL MAN. WAS STRESSIN OVER THIS EXACT PROBLEM ALL NIGHT AND IT TURNS OUT THATS ALL IT TOOK. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT, THANK YOU!
    09-25-08 02:26 AM

Man THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out what as wrong, and uninstalled and reinstalled the software like 50 times. Now I know to always come to CB first.
    10-24-08 02:54 PM
    I was having a the same problem as initially described and after reading only a few posts I figured I'll check something on my device for settings. And with a few changes, my device was able to connect to my computer. My problem was that when connected it would charge but not connect to my computer. It used to give me that option (asked every time) but recently stopped asking and wouldn't show up as "BlackBerry" device on my computer. I went to Options > Media Card > Auto Enable Mass Storage (changed that to YES). And then I tried to connect again and it worked.

I thought I'd first thank you guys for the help and then offer some feedback of my experience. Hope this helps!
    02-10-10 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD