I can't seem to free up memory with my curve, which of course is preventing me from loading apps.

Here is what I have done:
    1. Installed 2 Gig Media Card (yes, installed correctly and properly working)
    2. Went into Media Manager and made sure that all the music, photos and ringtones were stored on the Media Card
    3. deleted the music, photos and ringtones that were previously stored in Device Memory

No matter what I do, I look under the Options / Status and get
    Files Free :_ 3219000 Bytes
    Files Total: 52953000 Bytes

Under the Options / Media Card I have:
    Total Space: 1.8GB
    Free Space: 1.4GB

Any suggestions for real memory reductions? Any suggestions so that the darn operating system will fully use the 2 Gigs in the Media Card and not the Device Memory?
    Last edited by mdattorney; 12-27-07 at 01:44 AM.
    12-27-07 01:21 AM
    You've done what you can - the OS and applications can't be stored on the microSD memory card.

I would check out this - How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ - and see if it helps.
    12-27-07 01:45 AM
    You probably need to do a hard reset. Do a backup first. Turn off the BlackBerry. Make sure it's turned off. Remove the battery. Wait 30 seconds. Put the battery back in. The BlackBerry should now accurately show the amount of free device memory.
    12-27-07 06:49 PM
    You probably need to do a hard reset. Do a backup first. Turn off the BlackBerry. Make sure it's turned off. Remove the battery. Wait 30 seconds. Put the battery back in. The BlackBerry should now accurately show the amount of free device memory.
    This is a soft reset and there is no need for a backup. A hard reset would wipe your device completely and return the BB to Factory Default Settings. This would require a Backup if you dont want to lose all the data you have accumulated since the day you got the device.
    12-27-07 06:53 PM
    have you tried plugging your phone with usb cord to the computer, press start, look under computer and your bb should be under one of those drives, right click on that drive, format, press start and it will format it out and get it back to zero.
    12-27-07 09:18 PM
    have you tried plugging your phone with usb cord to the computer, press start, look under computer and your bb should be under one of those drives, right click on that drive, format, press start and it will format it out and get it back to zero.

does this wipe everything off of the bb.........dj doesn't want to do that
    01-02-08 11:31 PM
    this is a must you gotta have a sd card
    01-03-08 01:42 AM
    You can disable error logging as well, ALT+L+G+L+G..disable the logging..that will free up alot of space and remove any "unused" applications
    01-03-08 01:46 AM
    You can disable error logging as well, ALT+L+G+L+G..disable the logging..that will free up alot of space and remove any "unused" applications
    This shortcut on clearing up memory REALLY helps!
    01-03-08 06:12 AM

I believe he's trying to free up system memory, not media card memory. He shouldn't even need to format the media card...
    01-03-08 07:21 AM
    This is a soft reset and there is no need for a backup. A hard reset would wipe your device completely and return the BB to Factory Default Settings. This would require a Backup if you dont want to lose all the data you have accumulated since the day you got the device.
    I thought a soft reset was done by pressing the alt+delete+cap keys at the same time not by removing the battery from the device.
    as for the hard reset, i was under the impression that was done by sticking a paper clip into the reset button
    01-03-08 08:37 PM
    There is no "reset button" on a Blackberry.
    01-03-08 08:46 PM
    This is a soft reset and there is no need for a backup. A hard reset would wipe your device completely and return the BB to Factory Default Settings.
    Well, whether it's a soft reset or a hard reset, pulling the battery helped a lot for me. As for the backup, I haven't found it necessary, but it never hurts to do extra backups. I was warned twice when I bought my BlackBerry that it might lose data if the battery ever gets too low, so for all I know pulling the battery for too long would do the same. I'd rather be safe, since a backup is very easily done.
    01-04-08 12:43 AM
    Bla1ze mentioned disabling error logging that frees up space. What does this do as it seems sort of necessary.
    01-04-08 01:05 AM
    I'll give this a try and see what happens. Thanks
    01-04-08 10:23 AM
    Can you disable error logging on the BB pearl? I don't think I have an alt key.
    06-20-08 11:04 AM
    Can you disable error logging on the BB pearl? I don't think I have an alt key.
    The alt key is on the bottom left.

Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-20-08 at 11:18 AM. Reason: To add diagram
    06-20-08 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD