View Poll Results: Did this solution fix your phone's issue?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 66.67%
  • No

11 33.33%
    Will this .cod file work regardless of carrier? I did another battery pull after posting and everything is working great now. Just to test, I set the alarm, turned the phone off for five minutes, it woke up and the alarm rang like it should. What gives? What does multiple battery pulls do?
    12-29-09 07:54 AM
    I'd love to improve this fix and perfect it, but I honestly have had ZERO ringer issues after I replaced the five files I posted originally. So I can't confirm if any add'l files would help.

Man I thought I had it figured out. My apologies to those that this hasn't worked 100%.
    Don't apologize docs, it seems that your fix has helped more people than not. Like I said before, I do appreciate and commend you, and the other valuable members of this community for what you all do for the folks like me. Lets just hope that RIM addresses the issues with the elusive 5.0 OS
    12-29-09 08:27 AM
    they'll acknowledge it with a new os release... hopefully a 5.0 release which I hear is comming for all 8330's in the new year
    This is a major bug that has lasted months now. IMHO it should have already been addressed. A patched/working OS 4 in the mean time would be nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 08:57 AM
    Yes, while this should have been fixed, I think we're collectively smart enough to figure out a solution.

Any more updates or feedback on if the original solution posted is lasting, or if the extra COD file posted by XLIDERIDER fixes it?
    12-31-09 03:08 PM
    Thanks docsmody. Followed your instructions and replaced the two media-.cod files today. Tested BB and ringtones are working again.
    01-02-10 11:45 AM
    This is a major bug that has lasted months now. IMHO it should have already been addressed. A patched/working OS 4 in the mean time would be nice.
    actually this is a problem that goes back a couple of years.
    After researching this when I started having problems I found information on the net going back as far as 2007.

Most of the fixes back then seemed to relate to bad folder structure and/or corrupt media files. My guess is it still has something to do with either corrupt or unrecognized Media files. Every one has different media on there phones... and that would explain why for some the fix works...and for some id don't. But I'm just guessing.
    Last edited by goodB0Y; 01-02-10 at 01:16 PM.
    01-02-10 01:14 PM
    I encountered the same ringer issue after original just loading the profile cods...i then tried all the cods 2 days ago and the ringers stopped working tonight. I am now trying the new cod that was posted on this page and will report back if any issues arise.
    01-03-10 11:00 PM
    Those of you that still have the problem once you load all the COD files, what OS is loaded on your BB? .175?

All 9 of the phones that I"ve run the fix on, have been on .175 and then replaced the 5 COD files. None of those 9 phones have had issues with the ringers after that, and its been months. Please post which OS you are running if you are having issues.
    01-03-10 11:03 PM
    I was running .175.
    01-03-10 11:49 PM
    It didn't work for me either. It was significantly better though, it lasted a long time an. The last 2 crashes I've had were when I was using BBM only. I've been using stock alerts for everything to help me diagnose the problem. I will install the cods from xliderider today and see where it takes me in the next few days.
    01-04-10 07:08 AM
    An update. Ringers/alarm continue to work (over a week now) as long as I don't access the media player. I'm running .175 btw. If I access the player and use the "close" function in the menu, the next time I go in, I get the error and then ringers don't work. If I back out using the "return" hard key, don't seem to get the problem. I only tried that a couple times, not sure if it's consistent or not. Either way, replacing the five .cod files has improved the functioning a great deal but I'm not using the media player anymore, which kinda sucks. I think we need to get the word out about this fix because there are a ton of people (just google search) experiencing this problem and don't know about it. Wish we could figure out how to get the media player to not freak out like this though. I checked for corrupted files, btw, and removed any that I thought might be causing problems (pictures mostly). Thanks guys!
    01-04-10 09:37 AM
    I am running .175, and I installed the added cod...and the ringers just failed again...all six cods that are available here are currently loaded...did I miss something?
    01-04-10 10:36 PM
    I am running .175, and I installed the added cod...and the ringers just failed again...all six cods that are available here are currently loaded...did I miss something?
    Nope, still trying to figure this problem out.
    01-04-10 10:42 PM
    Mine crashed again yesterday as well. Also all 6 cods are loaded. Mine seems to do it while I'm active with BBM.
    01-05-10 10:52 AM
    What version of BBM are you using?
    01-05-10 11:43 AM
    What version of BBM are you using?
    If it helps, I'm running 5.0.0.57...never noticed an issue after being in BBM...I did notice however that after I played a couple songs over the external speaker, the ringtones almost immediately failed. I didn't hear the next message that came through.
    01-06-10 02:47 AM
    Im also on .57, sorry for the delayed response. I never play music but I do occasionally take videos and play them back. But its never seemed to crash on me during those times, just with BBM.
    01-13-10 10:13 AM
    Device has been much more stable and have not had any problems with ringers if I don't play any media. However, when I do play media, I have found that backing out using the "return" hard key keeps everything running smoothly. When I close out using the "close" option in the menu, that's when everything goes to h*ll: ringers and alarms fail. Anyway, just posting my experience.
    01-14-10 11:51 AM
    I updated to .175 a few weeks ago. I just now noticed that the phone doesn't ring unless I toggle to vibrate then back to normal. When the ringer stops ringing, I switched over to the Media Player and I am able to play my .mp3 rigners I downloaded. No Media Player errors. I'm going to try this hack and see how it helps.
    01-23-10 05:00 PM
    I would just update to OS 5.0 -- the official Boost release. Its great, no ringer issues so far, though its only been a few days. Runs really smooth as well.
    01-23-10 05:02 PM
    Is there anybody who has the 5.0 verizon OS?
    For the 8330 non m
    01-27-10 06:34 PM
    Is there anybody who has the 5.0 verizon OS?
    For the 8330 non m
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Verizon to release 5.0 for the 8330 lol.

People have been reporting that GPS isn't working on 5.0 with Verizon though. So you might be trading one set if problems for another, par for RIM.

Last edited by xliderider; 01-27-10 at 06:47 PM.
    01-27-10 06:45 PM
    I have 175 now and have tried 160. I'm having the ringer issue with both. And the MP3 issue. I had .77 os before all this I think. The reason I "upgraded" was to get rid of some of the issues, but now have worse issues.

I am considering just calling the insurer and telling them I lost the phone. 50 dollar deductible though.

I am trying to figure out how to downgrade to .131 completely. I have already done the fix on this thread to no avail.
    01-27-10 06:51 PM
    You can download the Sprint's .131 here:

http://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/...BB765225CE8C0E

Downgrading is the same as upgrading, just approve the downgrade when desktop manager asks for confirmation. Make sure you uninstall any previously installed OS from your computer using control panel's Add/Remove program.

01-27-10 06:59 PM
    downgraded to 138. I'll try it for a while.
    01-28-10 04:44 AM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD