It is really not necessary for the phone unlock sequence to be that complicated. I'd be happy with something as simple as pressing the ball in order to unlock my BB since there is no way it could get accidentally pressed in my pocket. Is there a way to change the way I unlock my phone?
    10-02-08 04:27 PM
    Pressing two keys is complicated? There isn't any method I know of to change it.
    10-02-08 04:34 PM
    I think the point of having to press 2 keys is to avoid unlocking it on accident while it's on your pocket or something. Seems silly to have only 1 button unlock the phone. There is really no point in locking it then.
    10-02-08 05:29 PM
    Why dont you just put it into standy, thats one button
    10-02-08 05:31 PM
    Not trying to be mean orelaf, but the is laziness on an extreme level.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-08 06:13 PM
    If you don't use a password to lock, then just use standby instead. Then its only one button to wake the phone

10-02-08 06:24 PM
    You dont have to press them at the same time, you can press * then the send key.
    10-02-08 07:59 PM
    You dont have to press them at the same time, you can press * then the send key.
    This is what I do every time. Not a big deal.
    10-02-08 08:47 PM
    This is what I do every time. Not a big deal.

same here...
    10-02-08 08:49 PM
    Thanks for all your helpful replies. I want to make some changes, not necessarily out of laziness, but rather because it's quite of an annoyance. I receive emails, texts and use the messenger as well. Going through the unlock sequence 100 times a day, gets a bit old. Of course I can imagine that the level of inconvenience is nothing compared to what the owners of corporate password-protected BBs have to go through.
    10-02-08 09:01 PM
    Thanks for all your helpful replies. I want to make some changes, not necessarily out of laziness, but rather because it's quite of an annoyance. I receive emails, texts and use the messenger as well. Going through the unlock sequence 100 times a day, gets a bit old. Of course I can imagine that the level of inconvenience is nothing compared to what the owners of corporate password-protected BBs have to go through.
    Yeah, I could see how that would be frustrating. Maybe you should look into a holster? You wouldn't have to lock it then.

It's just a one-button unlock would make it virtually useless.
    10-02-08 09:04 PM
    The old cell phones USED TO USE THE OPTION of holding one button to lock and unlock the phone. I long for that again.

So I understand what the OP is saying. So I PURPOSELY do not lock my phone. Two buttons is not an issue for me, but isnt hte purpose of having a Berry, EFFICIENCY?

Something to think about.
    10-02-08 09:20 PM
    The old cell phones USED TO USE THE OPTION of holding one button to lock and unlock the phone. I long for that again.

So I understand what the OP is saying. So I PURPOSELY do not lock my phone. Two buttons is not an issue for me, but isnt hte purpose of having a Berry, EFFICIENCY?

Something to think about.
    But the berry does have this option (as long as you aren't using a password) just use the mute button and the phone goes into standby essentially locking the buttons

10-02-08 09:37 PM
    REALLY?
    Why didnt anyone else post this? Let me try
    10-02-08 09:40 PM
    All I can say is WOW
    10-02-08 09:49 PM
    REALLY?
    Why didnt anyone else post this? Let me try
    They did, in post #4.

Why dont you just put it into standy, thats one button
    10-02-08 10:03 PM
    But the berry does have this option (as long as you aren't using a password) just use the mute button and the phone goes into standby essentially locking the buttons
    And you get the added bonus of saving a bunch of battery time too.. IMO, standby is always the better option.
    10-02-08 10:23 PM
    And you get the added bonus of saving a bunch of battery time too.. IMO, standby is always the better option.
    That little mute button at the top is kind of a pain. My fingers are already on the keyboard ready to go, why not just use that.
    10-02-08 11:34 PM
    There are other ways to go into standby as well. You can use one of the holsters that have the sleeper magnet that puts the BB in standby when placed in the holster and takes it out when it is removed from the holster. There is also the autostandby app. I use it since I don't like the holster. The app puts the BB in standby mode for you after a specified duration after the screen powers off. I have my screen power off after 10 seconds and set autostandy to 5 or 10 seconds after that. It helps me because I forget to put it in standby. I can tell you from experience that standby mode helps save significantly on battery consumption.
    10-06-08 08:35 AM
    I use the 2 button lock. But I'm going to try the standby button today and see how that works for me since I don't have it password protected.

10-06-08 08:54 AM
    what is the difference between lock and standby? i've been using the keyboard lock because i thought that maybe standby would silence call and message alerts or not display the red blinking light. if thought it was more like "sleep mode" for a computer, where it's pretty much shut down. is this not the case?
    10-06-08 09:27 AM
    All functions calls, messages, notifications, all still work as normal. Standby mode locks the KB and is a power save mode turning off power to the screen and various other non critical components or using lower power states so that you use up less of the battery when not actively using the BB. So in essence the only difference between using the mode and not using it is the amount of battery you use up.
    10-06-08 10:31 AM
    wow awesome. think i'll start using that instead of the lock from now on. thanks for the quick reply.
    10-06-08 10:37 AM
    just my $0.02 on the subject as I kind of looked for the same thing. I just migrated to BB from a Treo 700p, and to unlock the Treo you just have to push the center button. I never had a problem with it accidentily unlocking by itself and it would make sense that the BB could do something similar with the center trackball.

I had to contort to press * and Send at the same time, I didn't realize you could press them one after the other that actually makes a lot more sense.
    10-06-08 12:20 PM
    Why don't you just put it into standby, thats one button
    Great minds think alike. I have never used the 'Lock' option, only standby! (it does save me one whole button push, but you do have to hold it a little longer, so it may still count as two button pushes)
    10-06-08 12:40 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD