here is my problem. I have figured out how to set custom ringers for phone calls, i want the same ringers when that person texts. is that possible? i have being reading for about an hour and all i can find is how to change the sms text ringer. thats all good but i want them to be unique from one person to the next.
    05-22-08 06:07 PM
    Yea: I searched for how to do that as well but didn't have any luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 06:10 PM
    I've also been trying to do the same thing, but can't find a way. Hope someone figures it out for us.
    05-22-08 07:06 PM
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not possible. Unless Blackberry updates the software programming to give this option, you can't have individual ring alerts for text messages for each contact like you could in some of the older Lg phones like the VX8100 which i still have one of those. It's a nice feature that Verizon decided wasn't important so they excluded it from the VX8300 and up series phones. Don't waste anymore time trying to find a way to doi because you won't be able to do it. Have fune with all the other cool things you can do with blackberries like apps, themes, etc.
    05-22-08 11:07 PM
    alright thanx. i appriciate the help i figured there would be a few kiinks in the software and what not. no biggy, blackberry's still kick *** in my opinion.
    05-22-08 11:09 PM
    here is my problem. I have figured out how to set custom ringers for phone calls, i want the same ringers when that person texts. is that possible? i have being reading for about an hour and all i can find is how to change the sms text ringer. thats all good but i want them to be unique from one person to the next.
    How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts?
    From BlackBerryFAQ

This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:

(Works with OS 4.2 and above)

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.

2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.

3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.

4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.

5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).

6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.

7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.

8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.

9. Save the changes.

It can be done, I used this and it works great.
    05-22-08 11:38 PM
    Question for J_Uneek...What happens when you have your phone set to vibrate or quiet and one of your custom profiles calls you? How do you keep your phone from ringing loud as per the custom profile when you want your phone to be on vibrate only? I'm having a **** of a time trying to figure this out....any suggestions?
    06-07-08 05:24 PM
    The only way I have found to have all calls, emails, ect. either vibrate or remain silent when activating the Vibrate or Silent profile, is to uncheck all of the exceptions you have created, then check them again when you change back to the custom profile.
    A pain, I know, but until the OS is changed, I think we are stuck with that.
    If you think about it, they are after all, Exceptions!
    06-07-08 06:33 PM
    Annoying..but thanks...
    06-07-08 07:01 PM
    okay i'm still a little lost... can i do this so it does say 5 different text tones for 5 different people... ????
    And when in the advance option to choice my settings do i check or uncheck the use active profile except for..... the names?
    06-10-08 05:03 PM
    How can I personalize my alerts from specific contacts?
    From BlackBerryFAQ

This workaround will allow you to have specific alerts for email and messages from specific senders:

(Works with OS 4.2 and above)

1. Go to Profiles on your BlackBerry and create a new custom profile, naming it the name of your targeted sender.

2. Edit and change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringtones you prefer for this contact. Don't worry about changing things like Calendar, Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.

3. Once all of your ringtone settings are set for the new custom profile, save the changes. Now you will be back to your Profiles list and will see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones.

4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.

5. Title the exception whatever you want (would be smart to name it again the name of that particular contact).

6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.

7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.

8. You may remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" if you already have a custom phone tune for this contact, or leave it and set it in the new custom profile as well.

9. Save the changes.

It can be done, I used this and it works great.
    I did this and it didn't work... any sugestions???
    06-11-08 01:07 AM
    Pipi, It works, if you have tried it and it didn't work then you've skipped a step or missed something along the ways, I PROMISE!!

MommaS, You have to go through these steps for each singular person you want a "custom notification" for! Its a long process just to have custom email and SMS, but you can do it for as many people as you want!

06-11-08 01:59 AM
    hello everyone,
    I've been looking at this thread for about an hour or so, and I can't seem to get this to work. I don't doubt that it does but I must be missing a step somewhere.

I created my new profile aaron and adjusted my tones in it according to what I'd like to hear, and saved it. Then backed out into the profiles menu (and I did see my new profile there). Then I created a new exception (named it a) selected Aaron from my address book for the from field, and selected "aaron" for the use profile field.
    Hit the back key and it saved. I now see the profile I created (aaron) and at the bottom of the exceptions list (checked of course) I see the exception I made (a) but when I get an SMS from Aaron it still plays the default ringtone.

like I said I don't doubt that this works I just think I must be missing a step or something.
    any help would be VERY appreciated.
    feel free to BB msg me if you may have an answer.
    thanks in advance.

p.s. I love this site!!
    06-11-08 05:45 PM
    ok so I finally got it. exceptions upon exceptions don't work for this method.

if you choose to do this (for anyone who may read this in the future) you need to make sure you delete any exceptions you may have for the particular contact
    that you are trying to make a custom ringtone for.

I.E.
    I had previously set up a custom tone for aaron when he calls. (and as I'm sure alot of you know) this make an exception under your profiles advanced menu.
    you must delete this exception in order for this method to work.

it took me a while to figure this one out as I thought I had already deleted all necessary exceptions. look carefully if this method is not working for you.
    it does work though thanks to everyone on this thread for the info.
    06-14-08 09:57 AM
    I cannot get this to work. I have created a new exception. It is checked under Use Active Profiles Except for: Important Calls is not checked. Can someone help me? thank you
    06-30-08 03:58 PM
    I cannot get this to work. I have created a new exception. It is checked under Use Active Profiles Except for: Important Calls is not checked. Can someone help me? thank you
    ok I think the problem is that you have your profile set to active. what you need to do is set it to the custom profile you created.
    07-23-08 02:59 PM
    ok for any of you going through the memory optimization and still want to do this make sure you leave
    net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_qualcomm.cod

if you remove this file you will not be able to add new exceptions.
    just FYI
    07-23-08 03:56 PM
    I have made 10 profile additions along with 10 new exceptions and they all work great.

Now someone tell me how to switch to the vibrate and not have to uncheck all 10 of those exceptions to actually vibrate my entire phone.

I know I can just change the ringtones for incoming calls with an exception while adding the use active profile in each exception to make sure my phone only vibrates but now I lose the option of changing tones for MMS and MSM's coming into my phone.

Messed for a few hours myself and can't seem to get a fix I'm satisfied with.

Who can step up and find the answer???????
    08-09-08 03:20 PM
    okay- confused.

Right now I have my profile set to the "Vibrate" profile and a regular ringtone set for everyone except specified contacts. If I use this method I need to change the active profile to the ones Im creating for each individual contact? How is that possible when you have like 18 different people you want a custom SMS tone for?

I know. Im an ***** Please help!
    08-10-08 02:47 PM
    I tried this and it seems to work as well
    08-10-08 05:17 PM
    this def works- only thing i thought it was for specific ppl mine works for everyone which is fine :]
    08-16-08 11:26 AM
    This thread is EXACTLY why I signed on this morning. I wanted to know if there was an OS update yet so we could add custom sms tones to each contact without doing Exceptions. Obviously they have not. I was also looking for a program which allowed you to set specific exceptions for each profile. (that way you can swich volumes and such for your exceptions). I guess RIM is slacking off. They really need to get this done already! Ugh!
    If there is a program kicking around that lets us do this...let me know!
    08-28-08 06:24 AM
    This is an awesome thread. Can't wait to try this out tonight. It would be so nice to know when I don't need to check my txts b/c it's someone I don't really feel like txting (I know that's bad, but that's what they're for!)

08-28-08 06:41 AM
    it works for me fine.. i have been doin this for months.. as to the vibrate or other ring profiles u will have to go to advanced when u change the master profile and uncheck all the new seperate profiles. or the special ones will always be on..
    08-28-08 06:44 AM

9. Save the changes.

ok so i get all the way to number 6 ....Where is the "FROM" area ?
    08-28-08 10:54 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD