About a month ago I requested a BES account at my job and was turned down. Apparently it's only available to upper management.

I began to use the Desktop Redirector software, however, it only worked when my computer was powered on and connected to my corporate network. Being that I have a laptop, when I traveled I was out of luck since the laptop was with me and off.

I did, however, discover a work around that works just as well as having a BES account.

Here's how it works:

Note: You'll need a BB e-mail adress to do this ([email protected])

1. Log on to you BIS service
    2. After choosing to edit the settings for this account, set the following fields to:

Reply to: <your work Outlook e-mail address>

** what this setting does is make all e-mails sent from your BB address appear as if they are from your work e-mail address **

Your name: <your name>

Sitgnature: <your signature>

Auto BCC: <your work Outlook e-mail address>

** I explain below why this needs to be set this way **

3. Be sure to keep the radio button for 'All Messages' selected.

In your desktop Outlook application:

4. Create a Rule via the Rules Wizard that ensures when new messages arrive from the Exchange Server you want them 'redirected' (not forwarded) to your BB e-mail address. This will still leave the message in your Outlook inbox but send a copy to your BB address as well.

I went a step further so that when I replied to a message on my BB I could have a copy of that message sitting in my Sent Items folder in case I needed to reference it in the future. This is where having the Auto BCC set to your work e-mail address comes in.

5. Create a second Rule so that when an e-mail is received from your BB e-mail address it is moved to your Sent items folder.

It may sound like a lot but it really only take about 3-5 minutes to complete. I have had this set-up for 2 weeks now and get the same service I would have from having a BES account.

I hope this can help someone else that wanted a BES account like me but just couldn't get one.

~ Christian
    07-02-08 07:26 PM
    Does your job have OWA? (outlook webaccess)? If they do, then you can configure it right to BIS. You will need the server address, domain, username, and password. Redirector is a bad pice of software.
    07-02-08 07:30 PM
    Well Done......improvisation at its' very best......very helpful.......I spent several hours (and pints of Guinness) getting around the corp IT man......
    07-02-08 07:31 PM
    Does your job have OWA? (outlook webaccess)? If they do, then you can configure it right to BIS. You will need the server address, domain, username, and password. Redirector is a bad pice of software.
    Yup, that's what my company did. And we even got Blackberry, sorry, RIM on the phone to add our domain to their servers and now my whole company has Blackberry direct push e mail on their Blackberrys

Easy as pie!!
    07-02-08 07:33 PM
    Nice little workaround!!

I am sure many people will benefit from this!! Totally awesome!
    07-02-08 07:37 PM
    We don't have BES at work but would really like to talk the IT dept into it. Does anyone know what the costs are to run BES?

My Curve blows away the Mogul I have for work and would love to get rid of that thing.
    07-02-08 07:58 PM
    BES is not cheap? If you only have a few devices at the company you can look into the Blackberry professional software. It is like a BES but all software. There is info on this at blackberry.com
    07-02-08 08:07 PM
    Thanks. There are only about 1/2 dozen devices at our work so it's pretty small potatoes. As long as we could get sync'd to our Outlook for email/calendars we'd be set and I could kick that Mogul across the street!! The Curve's are cheaper than the Moguls anyway, so as long as integrating the BB's into the server isn't too big of deal I think we could talk the IT dept into doing it.
    07-02-08 08:42 PM
    Good luck on that. I think the software I refered to can handle up to 10 BB devices. It can also be converted to a Full BES later, I believe
    07-02-08 08:46 PM
    I just checked out the BB website and looked over the different options. They have the Blackberry Professional Software for smaller businesses with packages for 5 or 10 users and the ability to add individual licenses later. $500 isn't too bad, but I'm not certain that software will do what we need it to do as far as push email/calendar, etc.
    07-02-08 08:56 PM
    Lastraid-can u tell me how I do this? My company has outlook webaccess, but I can't figure out how to set it up. Also, once its set up, does it do push mail?

Thanks so much!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 09:04 PM
    Lastraid-can u tell me how I do this? My company has outlook webaccess, but I can't figure out how to set it up. Also, once its set up, does it do push mail?

Thanks so much!!

-Add new email acct

-type in your work email address, it will take 15-20 seconds.

-It will come back saying it cannot add it and give you the option to re-enter or, add the settings yourself. Choose the option to enter yourself.

-From there it's pretty straight forward...you'll need your work email, log in ID, etc...

fyi...depending on how secure your company network is, this may not work. It doesn't work for me. I get "could not establish connection to......" even though I have OWA open in a different tab.
    07-03-08 12:01 AM
    In my case this would not work as well as the security restrictions are ridiculous. A new password is required each time we log in that comes from a combo of coordinates on a wallet-sized card we carry.

07-03-08 12:01 PM
    I used to do it this way too (autoforward) but I got tired of not being able to reply all. I use the redirector but hate it.

It's worth noting that many companies with such tight IS control would also frown on every email sent to your box being forwarded outside the company. Not saying I frown on it, because damn the man, but it's something to consider

07-03-08 08:31 PM

-Add new email acct

-type in your work email address, it will take 15-20 seconds.

-It will come back saying it cannot add it and give you the option to re-enter or, add the settings yourself. Choose the option to enter yourself.

-From there it's pretty straight forward...you'll need your work email, log in ID, etc...

fyi...depending on how secure your company network is, this may not work. It doesn't work for me. I get "could not establish connection to......" even though I have OWA open in a different tab.
    Yep thats about the way it is done. Yes security is a big part of it. If it does not work ask someone in your IT dept for assistance if they are willing
    07-03-08 08:37 PM
    Does the email that is sent to you after you make the above changes still come to you if you are logged out of your work computer? I really have little knowledge of Microsoft Exchange. Thanks for the help.
    07-03-08 08:43 PM
    Yes it will, most servers are set by IT to leave a copy on the server. This will allow the email to come to your device
    07-03-08 08:57 PM
    Yes it will, most servers are set by IT to leave a copy on the server. This will allow the email to come to your device
    Thanks for the quick reply, I am going on leave and will head over to the unit office to do this, I like to stay in touch with my 1SG and subordinates, but I do not rate a BB from Army, only Sergeant Major's and Colonel have the power around this post
    07-03-08 09:01 PM
    your security policies like the other poster stated.

I know in my line of work, building airplanes, that my company does not allow emails to be automatically redirected, or forwarded, to email addresses outside the company.

We deal with proprietary information and they don't want the information sitting on somebody's servers somewhere, unprotected.

For a while, I had all my company email forwarded to my personal email and it worked great. Then I was informed of this policy and got rid of that forwarding rule ASAP. I don't want to get fired over that.

My curve is my personal phone and I am not important enough to have a company phone.
    07-04-08 01:32 AM
    Some companies simply prevent the auto-forward rules in Exchange. This is what my company does to prevent this from being done. Outlook will allow the rule to be created, but the sever ignores it.

07-04-08 08:55 AM
    Slight detour here: I have a personal BB Pearl but IT added me to the BES. I checked for updates yesterday after doing a backup and one option had to do with BES. I didn't update because I wasn't sure which upgrade to do. All I wanted was to upgrade my DM and device. I am still very new and was afraid of doing something BES affecting. Any help?

07-04-08 09:15 AM
    You should have no problems updating the DM, you may want to check with your BES admin as update though a BES can be pushed by them. Also some IT depts do not like you to update as it may effect the way device works on a BES. So check with them first. They will advise what will be okay to do.
    07-04-08 09:35 AM
    Thanks. I'll ask and go from there.

07-04-08 09:59 AM
    About a month ago I requested a BES account at my job and was turned down. Apparently it's only available to upper management.

I began to use the Desktop Redirector software, however, it only worked when my computer was powered on and connected to my corporate network. Being that I have a laptop, when I traveled I was out of luck since the laptop was with me and off.

I did, however, discover a work around that works just as well as having a BES account.

Here's how it works:

Note: You'll need a BB e-mail adress to do this ([email protected])

1. Log on to you BIS service
    2. After choosing to edit the settings for this account, set the following fields to:

Reply to: <your work Outlook e-mail address>

** what this setting does is make all e-mails sent from your BB address appear as if they are from your work e-mail address **

Your name: <your name>

Sitgnature: <your signature>

Auto BCC: <your work Outlook e-mail address>

** I explain below why this needs to be set this way **

3. Be sure to keep the radio button for 'All Messages' selected.

In your desktop Outlook application:

4. Create a Rule via the Rules Wizard that ensures when new messages arrive from the Exchange Server you want them 'redirected' (not forwarded) to your BB e-mail address. This will still leave the message in your Outlook inbox but send a copy to your BB address as well.

I went a step further so that when I replied to a message on my BB I could have a copy of that message sitting in my Sent Items folder in case I needed to reference it in the future. This is where having the Auto BCC set to your work e-mail address comes in.

5. Create a second Rule so that when an e-mail is received from your BB e-mail address it is moved to your Sent items folder.

It may sound like a lot but it really only take about 3-5 minutes to complete. I have had this set-up for 2 weeks now and get the same service I would have from having a BES account.

I hope this can help someone else that wanted a BES account like me but just couldn't get one.

~ Christian
    Christian, I encounter the same situation as yours. I followed your step on my T-mobile BIS setting. However, when I got to the outlook to set up under RULES (from my work PC running Outlook 2003), it didn't work. Perhaps some how I did not set up properly. Could you kindly post the step by step for both on the BIS and the outlook 2003 from my work PC? Thanks
    07-14-08 01:11 PM
    CR and others using this work around, can you access your OL from outside the company using the exchange server? We have that ability where I work, and I think that's how I could automatically get my work emails on my BB, even without BES (which we have, but I have not asked to be put on).

If the powers that be won't let you be added to BES, maybe they will allow outside access.
    07-31-08 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD