Hey guys, just wondering what the best free GPS app is for the Curve. Would like it to have voice instructions, alternate routes(non highway for example) etc, easy to use etc.

I hear mixed things from here about google maps, I am thinking maybe Nav4all but I don't know if it has what I want. Are their any other options out there?
    06-15-08 12:40 PM
    Blackberry maps: Blackberry Ringtones
    Google maps: www.goole.com/gmm
    06-15-08 12:55 PM
    Copilot Live - not free but has a 6 month trial

Nav4All - free. This is what i use. I works quite well

amaZegps - free but a bit awful slow
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-15-08 at 01:25 PM.
    06-15-08 01:03 PM
    Ok, coffee hasnt kicked in this morning quite yet...so let me be sure.

I have an 8320 Curve. I am TOLD it does not do GPS....but I see a listing under Advanced Options of GPS...and when I click on it, it says GPS data source NONE.

I take that to mean ....NO GPS capability. Am I missing something here?

Also, there is a 3rd party that says their program will work but I need a matchbox size GPS reciever....the 8320 no have.

????????
    06-16-08 06:05 AM
    06-16-08 06:08 AM
    Ok, coffee hasnt kicked in this morning quite yet...so let me be sure.

I have an 8320 Curve. I am TOLD it does not do GPS....but I see a listing under Advanced Options of GPS...and when I click on it, it says GPS data source NONE.

I take that to mean ....NO GPS capability. Am I missing something here?

Also, there is a 3rd party that says their program will work but I need a matchbox size GPS reciever....the 8320 no have.

????????
    The 8320 has no internal GPS receiver so no, it has no GPS function by itself. From what I understand, using an external GPS receiver (like the keychain type) will allow you to use it.
    06-16-08 06:15 AM
    Thanks Kronk, and where can I get some info on this key chain item?
    06-16-08 09:12 AM
    Thanks Kronk, and where can I get some info on this key chain item?
    Freedom Input Ltd - Freedom Keychain GPS 2000

Can be purchased from the CB store
    06-16-08 09:17 AM
    I prefer google maps for what it's worth

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-08 09:20 AM
    Agreed. I was playing with Google Maps at the Orioles game on Sat night and it put me within about 100ft give or take. Not bad for being free.
    06-16-08 09:24 AM
    Google Maps is far superior imho, other than voice-guided directions, which i find highly overrated. i can read directions and follow accordingly w/out the need for audio guidance. plus, Google Maps is light years ahead of nav4all when it comes to map visibility and simplicity....
    06-16-08 09:27 AM
    Agreed. I was playing with Google Maps at the Orioles game on Sat night and it put me within about 100ft give or take. Not bad for being free.
    Google Maps almost always puts me within 3M (9ft) of where i am standing. its dead-on accurate.
    06-16-08 09:28 AM
    So? For being free and accurate....not too shabby
    06-16-08 09:32 AM
    I have always heard good things about Google Maps, but for me it has always given me the most ridiculous directions and is usually about 50 meters off. That's why I gave it up.

As to voice guided navigation being overrated, again this is just me, I don't want to read while driving, so the VGN is a great benefit.
    06-16-08 09:41 AM
    I agree with Graceless. The voice is great for a number of reasons, in my opinion, one of the being anticipating a turn. If you're a Sprint customer, you will get Sprint Nav for free with the data package, plus, and it's a big plus, their data package is now $10 less than before. Just call and make sure they update your plan if you had it before the changes went into effect.

Sprint Nav is probably the best navigation I've used and it's free. After that, I would place BB Maps in second, also free.

I've had problems with Google Maps. Sometimes it's right on, and sometimes I'm within 150m to 1700m. What gives!?

06-16-08 09:51 AM
    uh if ur within something like 1700m (w/ the big blue circled area) that means Google Maps is using the cell phone tower triangulation to guesstimate where you are located WHEN gps is not available. this is actually a great thing because it fills in the gaps of when GPS is not available (ie - indoors)...
    06-16-08 11:32 AM
    I just got back from a roadtrip this weekend and I used my berry for GPS. I used Nav4all and goolge maps. Even though nav4all looks better and has voice instructions it doesnt work as good as goolge maps. nav4all gave me alternate routes but each one of them was longer than the one that google gave me. And after a while nav4al voice instructions gets pretty damn annoying. not to mention nav4all drians your battery a lot more than google maps.
    I recommend google for gps.
    06-16-08 11:51 AM
    Well google maps uses cell towers too pin point your location so if you don't have enough signal it will be a little off

06-16-08 12:14 PM
    google maps amazed me with it's accuracy, and for free, it is better than a good deal, it's a steal.
    06-16-08 12:27 PM
    Well google maps uses cell towers too pin point your location so if you don't have enough signal it will be a little off
    Fifty meters, with sufficiently strong signal, is more than just a little off
    06-16-08 12:43 PM
    i used windows live, its pretty darn accurateand its free and it uses voice recognition
    06-16-08 01:39 PM
    i used windows live, its pretty darn accurateand its free and it uses voice recognition
    Where can you find that app?
    06-16-08 02:10 PM
    Where can you find that app?
    Live Search Mobile
    06-16-08 02:55 PM
    Thanks, loading it now.
    06-16-08 03:18 PM
    I use Google Maps and it puts the dot right where I am when I'm outside. The GPS gives me sub-meter accuracy most of the time. Pretty sweet for a free app.
    06-16-08 03:22 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD