Kill the 8100's battery? My BB is just about dead and if about to get a full charge but I want to know how to kill it after the full charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-08 03:38 AM
    play music trough loudpeaker...
    01-01-08 03:40 AM
    It might just be me, but... Why would you want to kill the battery?
    01-01-08 08:50 AM
    It might just be me, but... Why would you want to kill the battery?
    If I'm reading his question correctly...

Rechargable batteries develop a "memory" when charged from an already partially charged state. And i could keep you from utilizing the full life of the battery.
    Running the battery completely dead before recharging ensures that you get a FULL charge on the phone.
    01-01-08 10:18 AM
    Ah, I see. Well by completing draining the battery you are going to be doing more damage than good. Everyone concerned with batteries should read about Lithium Ion batteries.

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.
    Source:
    Howstuffworks "Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death"
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-01-08 at 10:27 AM.
    01-01-08 10:25 AM
    Trevor is correct. Lithium Ion batteries don't have "memory."

The manual suggests "conditioning" the battery by running it down to 15-20% the first three times after charging it fully. Then after that you are better off to keep it topped off or just charge whenever you want. I charge mine every night, regardless of it's status.
    01-01-08 12:23 PM
    Mr. Clark is absolutely correct. I do the same thing.
    01-01-08 12:52 PM
    I see. I read on BlackBerryFAQ that you should fully charge-discharge to 'break-in' the battery and then after that keep it fully charged. I've charged and discharged my BB twice now. So should I let it die one more time and then charge it every night or should I wait till its at %15 then fully charge it?

-Mr. Wonderful

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-08 05:09 PM
    Yep, give it one more cycle and then don't worry about it anymore. Try not to let it run completely out as that is not good for the battery.
    01-01-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD